Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #51
Bloodflowers

I Am Legend of course, you'd think after turning it into a movie three times they'd finally be able to get it right. The ending on the newest version was terrible, absolutely terrible. So far the version closest to the book was the original, Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price... though Richard Matheson DID write the screenplay for this version, though he was unhappy with the result and used the name Logan Swanson on the final product.

Koushun Takami's Battle Royale was also absolutely butchered when turned into a movie. They left out about half of the kids' deaths and toned down a lot of the violence for the movie. Plus you lose the insight of all the kids that are taking part in "the program" and their backstories. Very, very disappointing... and the fact that an American remake is in the works just makes me lose hope even more so...
Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #52
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
I Am Legend of course, you'd think after turning it into a movie three times they'd finally be able to get it right. The ending on the newest version was terrible, absolutely terrible. So far the version closest to the book was the original, Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price... though Richard Matheson DID write the screenplay for this version, though he was unhappy with the result and used the name Logan Swanson on the final product.

Koushun Takami's Battle Royale was also absolutely butchered when turned into a movie. They left out about half of the kids' deaths and toned down a lot of the violence for the movie. Plus you lose the insight of all the kids that are taking part in "the program" and their backstories. Very, very disappointing... and the fact that an American remake is in the works just makes me lose hope even more so...
I just have to say, I love your avatar. It reminds me of Plan 9, I'm ashamed to admit! (Unless my tired 6 o'clock eyes are just seeing things)

Last edited by Krick Wurkheiser; 11-11-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: addition
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #53
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
I just have to say, I love your avatar. It reminds me of Plan 9, I'm ashamed to admit! (Unless my tired 6 o'clock eyes are just seeing things)
Nope, your eyes are not deceiving you, that is indeed actress/horror movie hostess Vampira! *applauds* Congrats for being the first person to comment on it...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #54
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Prince Caspian was horrible. I remember reading it as a child, all picturesque like, sitting under a tree and dipping my toes into the pond, so I was excited to see the movie, but was highly disappointed.
Lord of the Rings. They completely cut out Tom Bombadil, who is my favorite character.
The fourth, fifth, and sixth Harry Potter movies. Key scenes were cut out, in my opinion. I took a friend who had never read the sixth book and she did not understand the film at all.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #55
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Nope, your eyes are not deceiving you, that is indeed actress/horror movie hostess Vampira! *applauds* Congrats for being the first person to comment on it...
I thought I saw her! But my eyeballs were falling out of my face when I was looking.

Well, "Plan" is a classic! As a Cramps fan, you get to know z-flicks rather well. Mind you, though the movie was ridiculous, Maila was chilling in her role. She give me the shivers, she was great! Elvira ripped her off so much lol
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #56
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiescant_in_pace View Post
I like when a film is different from the book. It allows the audience to get something new.
Yeah, sometimes the original isn't always the best... there's just a whole lot of movie-murdering been going on of late.

I think, if well done enough, variations on the story are definitely a beneficial thing. Nobody wants to watch a carbon copy of the text acted out, there'd hardly be a point.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #57
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
I thought I saw her! But my eyeballs were falling out of my face when I was looking.

Well, "Plan" is a classic! As a Cramps fan, you get to know z-flicks rather well. Mind you, though the movie was ridiculous, Maila was chilling in her role. She give me the shivers, she was great! Elvira ripped her off so much lol
I agree... it always annoys me that there are so many people out there that absolutely adore Elvira but have never even heard of Vampira...
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #58
The Divine Ms. M

If you can get a hold of a copy, the current issue of Gothic Beauty does a good profile on her(Vampira that is)...
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #59
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
I agree... it always annoys me that there are so many people out there that absolutely adore Elvira but have never even heard of Vampira...
Yes. I don't hate Elvira, but I do see her as inferior to Vampira, as well as entirely derivative.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #60
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Divine Ms. M View Post
If you can get a hold of a copy, the current issue of Gothic Beauty does a good profile on her(Vampira that is)...
I've had a subscription to Gothic Beauty magazine for like 6 years maybe? I already knew about that article but thank you anyways! Though again proving my point, they did an article on Elvira a while ago and they're just now doing one on Vampira...
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #61
Cruven

Battlefield Earth. And the Sword of Truth series was ruined when someone thought of making a series known as 'The Legend of the Seeker' or some such.
Cruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #62
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Again proving my point, they did an article on Elvira a while ago and they're just now doing one on Vampira...
It's the way of the world...
Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #63
Zen Zero

How about every single Stephen King book that was ever made into a movie? Books are much, much better.
Zen Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #64
Zen Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruven View Post
Battlefield Earth. And the Sword of Truth series was ruined when someone thought of making a series known as 'The Legend of the Seeker' or some such.
Ditto regarding Battlefield Earth.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Zero View Post
How about every single Stephen King book that was ever made into a movie? Books are much, much better.
Carrie?
fucking need more fucking letters
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #66
Zen Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl vane. View Post
Carrie?
fucking need more fucking letters
Yes. The book is much better.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #67
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
He was fifteen, which pisses me the fuck off, because I am the age that Paolini was at the age of writing the book and I could fucking DESTROY that book and go on to be ruler of the universe given the opportunity.
I'm certain a crack-addicted prostitute who'd only used her hands to give hJ's, much less held a pencil, could write literary circles around that little shit.
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #68
the-nihilist

I'm pretty sure that every movie on a Lovecraft story was a complete failure.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #69
HavelockV

Quote:
I confess to being quite fond of the film adaptatios of The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The film version of Apt Pupil was also well-done (Ian McKellan was a brilliant casting choice), though not at the level of the aforementioned prison dramas. Of course, none are on par with the quality of the source literature, but I would hardly call them "killed".

To answer the proffered question of this thread, I found the movie adaptation of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to be a lamentable mess, completely absurd and utterly lacking in appeal.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #70
A Simple Poet

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that every movie on a Lovecraft story was a complete failure.
Dagon wasn't all that bad, but then again it was very loosely based on Howard's story. As two different entities, both film and story hold their own. But otherwise, yeah, I agree ... most film adaptations from Lovecraft fiction suck. Probably didn't help that he was more about concept and less about story and dialogue.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #71
Methadrine

Not only concept but imagination too (unless that was what you meant). Lovecraft made it very clear that what the mind imagines is far worse than anything described in detail or visually shown... thus making most movies not so impressive. Cloverfield for example, tried, but failed miserably.

The computer game "The lurking horror" on the other hand, grasped this concept VERY well as you feel some sort of dread throughout it even if nothing particularly scary happens, such as a moment when you walk through a school campus steam tunnels.

And sorry to the thread for derailing a bit...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #72
RedDollShoes

Stephen King's IT never should have been "made for TV". It should have been rated NC-17 (possibly harsher) just like the book. The book was bone-chilling and the film was . . . cute.
RedDollShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #73
Lochnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature6 View Post
Which of your favourite reads have been murdered by the film(s)?
All time worst would be "Slapstick (Of Another Kind)" and "Watchers"...And the crap they pulled with Jim Butcher's work on Sci-Fi (or should I say seefee as they want it to be now) I will never forgive.
Lochnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #74
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Yes. The book is much better.
Alright. I'm gonna disagree, I found the book pretty boring.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #75
Crying_Crimson_Tears

"My Sister's Keeper" was completely killed. The book was so good, and they fucked up the ending of the movie so horribly. Changed it to be VERY fucking cliche.

I am interested though in how bad they will fuck up "The Lovely Bones."

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote