Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #226
creepylittleshit

I generally read two books at a time. I keep one by the bed so I can read while going to sleep and one on the coffee table for when my bf wants to zone off into the tv. I'm reading VC Andrews "Ruby" as a bed time story and collection of HP Lovecraft for the waking hours.
creepylittleshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 AM   #227
Nike

thanks, mael, edited - BUT:that was a typo - o is next to i on german keybords ;P
Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #228
HerGhostInTheFog

im reading a book on john lennon, and i just got done reading the Great Gatsby, and right befor that a book on margaret sanger
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #229
HerGhostInTheFog

i just got the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe at the library for $5
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #230
Jane13

I finally got around to reading "The Hitchhicker's Guide To The Galaxy". There's this crazy hippy that rides his bike around campus here, and if there were such a thing as "the Hitchhikers Guide..." It would say NOT TO TALK TO HIM! Every time you talk to him, it will turn into an hour long conversation about how you should "Totally check out my website, Hitchhicker's guide to the Galaxy... I totally designed it and stuff... Hitchhicker's guide..." I've never actually vivisted it 0.o He even calls himself "Time Lloyd" or something. Anyway, hilarious book. I drew a picture of my version of Ford Prefect. He looks pretty shadey in a happy kind of way ^.^ Ford is my favorite character.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #231
ThwanCondu

Poppy

Wormwood by Poppy Z Brite

...love....her....
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 AM   #232
skoteinh

I am currently reading a novel by a Greek author, M. Karagatsis. It's called Leitourgia se La yfesis, in English Mass in La minore, originally published in 1943.

Karagatsis' use of the Greek language is amazing, he uses many metaphors and he develops his characters in depth. I don't know if any of his books are translated, my guess is yes.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #233
WolfMoon

Claw of the Conciliator by Gene Wolf
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #234
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
It took me two weeks, but I just finished rereading the entire Dragonriders of Pern saga. Well, until the point where her son took over. There's just been something about this series, since I first read it way back when, that I find endearing.

I <3 Ruth, he's just the best dragon ever.
Yes he is!

I get the feeling maybe that we're the only ones reading this series?

:P

I wanna read that now! My friends Greeny and Adam were reading those! Adam's really funny... he sits on a stool in front of my German teacer and just... stares at him... or throws his toy cow at him... I call him "Dingus Kahn" sometimes. I said "Adam, if you were a puppy, I would name you "Dingus Kahn"". My friend Kim said, "He is your puppy". I'm really sorry and really tired. Um... I'm going to read "Peter Pan".
Ha HA!!!

Dingus Kahn!

Brilliant!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #235
GothHyena

Just finished Huckleberry Finn for the third time in 14 years. Not so goth, but in fear of calling out for people to just be whatever you want them to be... I was taught in college that this rather than Tom Sawyer was Mark Twain's classic. It's great. Huck helps Jim, a runwaway slave, get away while spending the entire book thinking he's awful while really he's a brave kid. I found it worth my time to read again.
GothHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:35 AM   #236
Jane13

Dingus Kahn.. I'm glad you like it, Wolfmoon ^.^ As for Samuel Clemens, I've always liked "The Prince and The Pauper".
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #237
WolfMoon

Samuel Clemens?

Who?

j/k

:lol:
Old 04-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #238
TeapotScar

Therese Raquin (anybody who knows how do to accents... you're smarter than I am) by Zola. I *loooooove* it. It's a nice substitute for Dostoyevsky, since all of the books of him (that I have within reach of my bed), I've already finished.

*edit* I forgot! I have a really pretty quote from the book. Is that allowed? I hope that's allowed. It's allowed. It's really pretty, and it's about ****, pretty much:

"Then with a violent movement Laurent stooped, took the young woman, and held her against his breast. He pushed her head back, crushing her lips beneath his own. She made one wild instinctive effort to resist and then yielded, slipping down onto the floor. Not a single word was exchanged. The act was silent and brutal."

I love it.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #239
Jane13

That's scarry, Tea. 0.o

I just finished Farenheit 451 a couple days ago.
-Cinema Strange
Old 04-29-2005, 03:17 AM   #240
creepylittleshit

Right now I am currently reading a book called "girls on the verge" Its about diffrent intitions girls goes through.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:17 PM   #241
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
It's really pretty, and it's about ****, pretty much:

"Then with a violent movement Laurent stooped, took the young woman, and held her against his breast. He pushed her head back, crushing her lips beneath his own. She made one wild instinctive effort to resist and then yielded, slipping down onto the floor. Not a single word was exchanged. The act was silent and brutal."

I love it.
Are you sure it's not just rough sex?
Some girls like it rough.

:twisted:
Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #242
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Some girls like it rough.

:twisted:
Heh, believe me... I know... :wink:

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #243
Granny-like_the_apple

WHORE

That wasn't directed to Tea, that's the book I'm reading right now. Seriously.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:43 PM   #244
creepylittleshit

Thats funny because not too long ago I read a book called SLUT by Leora Tanenbaum. It was about women who grew up with a reputation and how it affected them.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:46 AM   #245
pitseleh

Just started Orlando by Virginia Woolf. Books that deal with subjects like gender ambiguity/androgyny are always interesting to me, so I just had to pick this one up. I'm still on the introduction, which is mainly about Virginia, her writing, circle of friends and such. Pretty interesting stuff.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #246
Soul_Immortal

"The Red Diary" by Toni Blake

*Soul*
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #247
Deadhymn

Went to the local Book Dispensary and got a bunch of horror novels. Edward Lee, Laymon, Ketchum, Clegg, Little, Levin, Straub, and some anthologies. A few hundred dollars worth for a little over $15. Gotta love the used paperback store (they look new too!). Currently Im reading through the Laymon i got, and im in the middle of The Traveling Vampire Show. Love it. No Sanctuary is next.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #248
Soul_Immortal

Pale Moon Rising by Ginna Gray

*Soul*
Old 05-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #249
Jane13

I'm about to read The Good Negress. It's required summer reading because I was "invited to join Mrs. Herron-Titus's Honors Sophmore English class this coming semester!"
-Cinema Strange
Old 06-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #250
FenrisQueen

I wish I could say I'm reading something intellectually stimulating, so as not to seem lazy or decadent during these trying summer months.

.....Fuck it all. I'm reading Fairy Tales redesigned for gay men. Which I am not, but they didn't have anything like beauty and the butch, so there we are.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote