Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Joker_in_the_Pack

Trouble in Juarez

(CNN) -- Has Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, been lost to the drug cartels?
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, has already surpassed 2,000 homicides this year.

Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, has already surpassed 2,000 homicides this year.

New figures released to CNN on Wednesday by Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz indicate the death toll for this year has already surpassed 2,000 homicides -- almost 400 more murders than the total count for 2008.

"It has been 22 months of this war, and it hasn't stopped. The violence has increased, and the possibility that it will stop is becoming more remote," Reyes Ferriz told CNN in a phone interview.

The mayor attributed the surge in drug-related violence to an influx of cartel groups. The rival Sinaloa and Juarez cartels are making their way to the city to participate in the warfare for the control of the smuggling route between Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas. The Sinaloa cartel is headed by Mexico's most wanted man, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, according to authorities.

"The majority of the people detained and the bodies found are not from Ciudad Juarez. It is an intense battle between these two groups. The level of violence has reached new levels. Retaliation between the groups has become more violent and terrorizing," he said.

A government source close to the investigation told CNN about a case where a relative of a drug cartel member was tied to two trucks and stretched until his arms where ripped apart. Dismemberments and beheadings have become a common method of retaliation.

"The important thing for the population is that the large majority of these cases are criminals. We haven't had many cases in which the general population has been involved," said Reyes Ferriz.

According to Ciudad Juarez local government figures, about 100 of the homicides in 2009 have been "inocentes," or innocent bystanders, compared with around 30 of these types of homicides in 2008. This includes people caught in crossfire and relatives of cartel members.

Asked whether he sees a light at the end of the tunnel, the mayor said he is awaiting the arrival of 1,000 police cadets who recently graduated.

"The light has just arrived," he said. "We are beginning the second phase of our work. It took us year and a half to strengthen our police force. We are optimistic the surge in the police force will put us in a different place."

Reyes Ferriz says in the past six weeks, 22 people have been detained in 800 homicides and now await prosecution.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
In our current legal environment, buying drugs equals buying death for someone. We need to fix the root cause: illegal drug demand in the U.S.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Deadmanwalking_05

Then the answer is simple H.P. make the drugs Legal.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Solumina

Legalization is a smart idea, sure some of them are really bad and ideally nobody would do them but it is better to have them regulated and the government could make money from taxes similar to those on tobacco and alcohol instead of sinking loads of funds into fighting an unsuccessful war on drugs.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Legalization is a smart idea, sure some of them are really bad and ideally nobody would do them but it is better to have them regulated and the government could make money from taxes similar to those on tobacco and alcohol instead of sinking loads of funds into fighting an unsuccessful war on drugs.
I think Portugal did that, actually.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 10-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Then the answer is simple H.P. make the drugs Legal.
flawless job stating the obvious...

CRACK FO' EVERYONE!
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I think Portugal did that, actually.
Almost three years ago actually. Crime is down immensely, there are less reported overdoses, and there has been no rise in the number of users due to legalisation.

They are not the only ones - I had a list posted in another thread here listing other countries which have done the same.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakitaJackson View Post
flawless job stating the obvious...

CRACK FO' EVERYONE!
If that's what you want to do and you are of legal age,go for it.

I'd rather stick with weed myself.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
If that's what you want to do and you are of legal age,go for it.

I'd rather stick with weed myself.
If you are of legal age for crack? What are you fucking on about?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
If you are of legal age for crack? What are you fucking on about?
If you're of Legal age to drink Wine or Whiskey you should be able to smoke weed,snort cocaine,or do a shit load of Meth (Your choice because it's your body).

Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Alan

And no age below that has choice over their own body?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #12
SweetJane

NAFTA hasn't helped the poverty levels, and that's part of the reason why these drug cartels have so much power and influence in the region. America's demand for drugs has little to do with it; there are plenty of places that these people can export drugs to, and there are plenty of grow and manufacture operations in America, Canada, Cuba and elsewhere to supply America's need for drugs. It's the death-grip of globalism that's causing this.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I saw an interesting episode of Law and order SVU tonight, well not an interesting episode but an interesting drug in the episode. It cured a drug addict of his addiction in somthing less than an hour, the only problem is it wasnt legal yet. What I'm curious about is if this drug is real, and if so how soon can we use it to wipe out drug addiction. Think of all the lives that could be saved from using addictive drugs and providing addictive drugs, and all the billions of dollars that could be saved in medical costs as well as in crime prevention.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
Solumina

As far as I know the closest thing is what they call a rapid detox (which takes far more than an hour) and it is actually a pretty bad choice for addicts, there is a much higher rate of relapsing if an addict doesn't go though the whole withdrawing process.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Renatus

Quote:
As far as I know the closest thing is what they call a rapid detox (which takes far more than an hour) and it is actually a pretty bad choice for addicts, there is a much higher rate of relapsing if an addict doesn't go though the whole withdrawing process.
Nah that doesnt fit the description of the drug I remember, this one had like a 91% success rate.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 11-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #16
viscus

I understand wanting freedom to do as you will with your own body, but I'd recommend meeting a junkie to anyone who thinks it's a good idea to legalize/decriminalize every drug under the sun.

That said, trying to solve the problem from the supply side is a bad idea.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Nah that doesnt fit the description of the drug I remember, this one had like a 91% success rate.
A short term success rate that high would be expected but long term rates are a very different story, plus as I said I don't believe that the drug in the show is something real.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
Delkaetre

viscus, I know quite a few people who use a variety of things, including one current and one ex- heroin user.
While addiction is a horrible thing and does decimate lives, legalising and taxing drugs- even or especially the worst ones- makes it much easier to treat addiction. More money can be put into detox programs or legal medicinal prescriptions, and acquisitive crime should drop in accordance with legal availability and help. It also makes it easier for addicts to come forward and seek help, instead of being scared of being arrested.

Addiction is horrible, yes. So is alcoholism. But at least having the stuff legal means there are standards of quality that must be followed and addicts can get help.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
Renatus

Quote:
A short term success rate that high would be expected but long term rates are a very different story, plus as I said I don't believe that the drug in the show is something real.
Well I didnt see anything that said that you didn't think it was real, but oh well, we can always dream. Cookie?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Solumina

Sorry, I'll try to be clearer with my wording, it would be nice for something to be that easy and effective, one of the shitty side effect of being human though is that if there is a quick fix people will start to get back into bad habits, so suffering is actually a large part of what helps us break the cycle of addiction.

I'd love a cookie, would you like some tea to go along with our cookies? Or perhaps hot coco?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
viscus, I know quite a few people who use a variety of things, including one current and one ex- heroin user.
While addiction is a horrible thing and does decimate lives, legalising and taxing drugs- even or especially the worst ones- makes it much easier to treat addiction. More money can be put into detox programs or legal medicinal prescriptions, and acquisitive crime should drop in accordance with legal availability and help. It also makes it easier for addicts to come forward and seek help, instead of being scared of being arrested.

Addiction is horrible, yes. So is alcoholism. But at least having the stuff legal means there are standards of quality that must be followed and addicts can get help.
I'm all for treating it like more of a public health issue and less of a criminal one, but legalizing substance use sends the message that substance use is a socially acceptable thing to do, which in the case of highly addictive drugs it most certainly isn't.

Plus, I don't think bringing corporations and their marketing departments into the mix is going to help decrease the rate of addiction.

Alcohol is something that most people can consume in moderation, so I don't think that's valid comparison.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
Renatus

Quote:
Sorry, I'll try to be clearer with my wording, it would be nice for something to be that easy and effective, one of the shitty side effect of being human though is that if there is a quick fix people will start to get back into bad habits, so suffering is actually a large part of what helps us break the cycle of addiction.

I'd love a cookie, would you like some tea to go along with our cookies? Or perhaps hot coco?
Gah, a tough choice, both great drinks, both can go well with cookies. Hmm, but I'll have to go with hot chocolate since this is cookies we are dealing with. We can have tea with scones later.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
I'm all for treating it like more of a public health issue and less of a criminal one, but legalizing substance use sends the message that substance use is a socially acceptable thing to do, which in the case of highly addictive drugs it most certainly isn't.

Plus, I don't think bringing corporations and their marketing departments into the mix is going to help decrease the rate of addiction.

Alcohol is something that most people can consume in moderation, so I don't think that's valid comparison.
I'm willing to wager the numbers on Alcoholics vs tweakers is pretty close.

Legalizing them would NOT increase addiction levels, countries have legalized the drugs and in most cases addiction levels fell. For one thing, when people don't have to mix, cook, or prep drugs in their basement or car, things tend to be of higher and purer quality.

Ideally people wouldn't do it, but I'd much rather have someone buy pure, safe Coke from a licensed place than from shady banger in a back alley.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #24
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Legalizing them would NOT increase addiction levels, countries have legalized the drugs and in most cases addiction levels fell. For one thing, when people don't have to mix, cook, or prep drugs in their basement or car, things tend to be of higher and purer quality.
Which countries are those, if you don't mind me asking?

Certainly not the Netherlands. Weed isn't even legal there, strictly speaking, just heavily decriminalized.

-William S. Burroughs

Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #25
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
Which countries are those, if you don't mind me asking?

Certainly not the Netherlands. Weed isn't even legal there, strictly speaking, just heavily decriminalized.
Sternn mentioned a thread, I know Portugal is one of them.