Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Juliet Bathory

Pandora's Box *Submissions here*

Welcome to Pandora's Box!

I started going through this forum, reading various submissions, however some entries are old and have, most likely, since been edited, so I have decided the best way for me to be of help is to open my own thread for those who want my advice.

But first I feel it necessary to do a backstory dump.

I have been editing horror, dark fantasy & high fantasy for over four years. I operate my own business that offers various editorial service such as proofreading, copy-editing, article writing, authorship validation etc. I have written a few short stories and some poetry and I am currently working on my first novel. Since I have 4 months off from study, I am using the NaNoWriMo challenge to help me get my book finished. Nex year I will start my university career and I aim to obtain a Master's in Editing and Publishing so I can open my own Publishing house which will cater to horror, dark fantasy and high fantasy (NO OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!!!)

That's me in a nutshell.

What I am offering is advice on short submissions (poetry, short stories and novel fragments). If you want it proofread, copy-edited etc. please email me privately and I will give you a quote. I am honest and if you don't handle constructive criticism well, then please DO NOT POST HERE!!!!

Again, this thread is for those who want an honest, professional opinion with constructive advice!!!

Now let's get this party started. Who's first?

Jules
Juliet Bathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Lord Dagon

I am....I am working on several horror novels and need some insight on the first chapter.....

--Solinquair
Lord Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Lord Dagon

Are you trying to be an asshole on purpose?

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Demonista_Ravenesque

Hey...Leave Tstone alone (that rhymes) HE TEH MAN!

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Lord Dagon

Well, he didn't have to come up and insult me for speaking my mind, did he?

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Lord Dagon

Oh, now I understand. I see what you mean....if you had said that in the first place, I wouldn't have said anything...I thought you were laughing at me...

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Lord Dagon

I guess........

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Lord Dagon

Well said, mon ami.....

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Lord Dagon

I agree specifically when you stated the fact that anyone can be a good editor, but this guy is a joke...is he seriously asking for money?

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Lord Dagon

Okay, but that doesn't answer my question....and would it be too much trouble if I ever ask you for some insight on a chapter or something?

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
Lord Dagon

Heh, I understand better.
Forgive my asking, Mr. Stone (Mr. Thomas Stone). I will keep writing my stuff, I will criticize it myself, and if I'm fucking lucky enough, I'll publish it myself.
The reason for my asking was just for the simple purpose of seeing what the people like, but then again, who cares what the people like?
I feel that if I publish something because I like it, the so be it. You have made me realize that I should not be letting others do my work for me, I will do my own work, and, as the saying goes, all the blood, sweat and tears will make it all worth while....
Thank you, Mr. Stone (Mr. Thomas Stone, I think that's quite healthy, don't you?) for giving me the space to do this on my own....

-Dagon (Lord Dagon.....Mr. Thomas Stone)

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
Juliet Bathory

If I may be so bold as to say something.

I offered advice on small pieces at no charge. I stated that if you want a line by line break down of your masterpiece, then I will charge. Like you TStone I have edited for many others out of the kindness of my heart and for the love of the craft. Many times I have had novels dumped in my lap with the "I value your opinion, could you please take a look at this for me?" At the end of it, it had cost me time and money.

I imagine that after reading my advice on the small section that I am sent, that the author would then go and action it, edit their own work, re-write it or whatever. I am making it clear that if you want me to edit a novel, then I will charge you. I am not holding a gun to anyone's head here. I can look over something and offer my opinion. If that's where it ends, so be it. I love what I do and if no-one wants my opinion then that's fine. I applaud your good intentions TStone, but please don't paint me with the same synical brush as you paint others. I am happy to have a dialogue with you on this for as long as you like until you are satisfied of my intentions.

For everyone else, my offer stands. I will look over small pieces, but if you wants me to look over something large, I will charge you. If all you are after is some Q & A advice, I am more than willing to help.

As always, the choice is yours. If everyone feels this is inappropriate, then by all means, delete the thread. If anyone wants my advice after that, all they have to do is ask.

TSone, the floor is yours. I await your rebuttal.

Jules
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #13
Lord Dagon

Heh, maybe I was a bit too rough.
Yeah, maybe some people wanrt advice on what they're writing, and some people don't. Your opinion isn't the only one, and therefore isn't always the right one. Just because an author sells, it doesn't make him a good author. Sometimes people don't want opinions, and some do.
I'm speaking my mind here when I say that I prefer not to get opinions anymore. Sometimes it makes the whole difference....sometimes not...
-Dagon (Lord Dagon.....do I need to say more?)

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Juliet Bathory

In closing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Thing is, you've got to start somewhere and build a client list. I'm not calling Juliet a filch, yet. I'd like to believe in her. So far, though, I haven't seen those traits and tells that would leave me with a positive feeling.

Which is why I asked her to further explain her intentions.
One final point I feel I should mention. I stated very clearly that I will charge for large pieces. If I was dubious or underhanded in anyway I would have omitted that from my offer and then stung the poor suspecting writer like others I have come across.

Again the floor is open.

Jules
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
Lord Dagon

I don't see what the quarrel is between the two of you...
TStone, you and Juliet have made good points, but this is insane.
Let Juliet charge and give criteria if he (or she) desires. TStone, keep making your points, yet Juliet will strike back, and it might never end..

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 PM   #16
Juliet Bathory

I have no quarrel, I am just making my intentions clear as requested. He has every right to question me if he so desires.

And for the record I am a she.

Jules
Old 10-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #17
Lord Dagon

Thanks, anyway, just keep going, then....

--Solinquair
Old 10-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #18
Juliet Bathory

An offering

Perhaps an offering on my part...

Closed windows, books and coffins.

There is no light in this death,
No heart to hold my hand, no vision of hope seen.
I swallowed the pain you so carefully sent,
Grieving my death before my time.
All shallow words screamed, all whispers of love hidden.
A maniacs mind has set upon me,
No substantial echoes,
Only empty memories reguritated
As a reminder to my life, my pain,
A scrapbook of missing pages.

No knowledge in this death,
No lessons learnt here, no sentimental reflections,
Only a corpse to mark my torment.
All that I own in ashes,
All that I was dismembered.
My spirit spent and wasted on the vile creatures I call my own.
Even at my death, you offer no love,
Only a coffin and a bad suit
And curses against my memory, my name,
And a gravestone that has known more love and care than I.

Your thoughts please?

Last edited by Juliet Bathory; 10-29-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: I forgot to separate the title
Old 10-29-2005, 11:32 PM   #19
Disfunction

No harm meant by this, Juliet, but there's an official thread for poetry located in the Literature forum.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=685

For future reference, this is the appropriate location for posting such.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #20
Juliet Bathory

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
No harm meant by this, Juliet, but there's an official thread for poetry located in the Literature forum.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=685

For future reference, this is the appropriate location for posting such.
I know Disfunction, and I plan to add it there, but I felt I should put myself on the line.

Thanks again

Jules
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #21
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
I do, however, still trade in edits for edits. My criteria for that is the writer has to be near my level, willing to piss me off with blunt force honesty, and able to receive the same blunt force honesty in return.
That sounds like a good policy. Well said TStone.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #22
Juliet Bathory

Tstone, all I can say is that is my dream. I plan to dedicate my life to this genre because I am sick and tired of capitalist publishing houses telling us that horror is dead unless you are Stephen King's bastard child. I don't know what the market is like where you are, but over here you have to call yourself a dark fantasy author just so they will open the envelope. I can tell you that I personally don't have the time to pull apart something that is badly written. I do decline work that appears to be a first draft. I posted my opinion on that other piece because it was the first one I came across. I then moved on and looked at others and thought this would be a better way to be useful. The freelance editor you decribe that fosters talent and gets them published is a literary agent. A different job altogether, and they get paid a percentage.

As I stated earlier, I want my own publishing firm where writers like us will not only be welcome, they will be preferred. I am prepared to spent tens of thousands of dollars and 6 -10 years of my life to see that dream come to fruition. When it does, I'll be sure to let you know when it's open to submissions.

I see a deficiency in the modern publishing system and I'm going to try and do something about it. You are absolutely right, the market sucks, so I'm going to create one. They say politics is about perception, so is publishing.

Jules
Old 10-30-2005, 12:19 AM   #23
Juliet Bathory

I must admit TStone, you give good debate.

Jules.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #24
Juliet Bathory

I will offer you a quick reply to set your head to rest once and for all. My client base is made up from referrals from printers who don't offer editorial services. When people come to them for proofreading, editing etc. they are referred to me. At this point they believe they are ready for it and have put aside funds to facilitate it. If it too rough, I offer free advice for them to apply so they have a better chance at sucess. I also have commercial clients and that is where most of my money is made.

I thank you for your good wishes and in turn wish you luck and a nightmare driven sleep should that be a means of inspiration for you. If not then sleep well.

Jules
Old 10-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #25
Soul_Immortal

That was dirty. I see an innocent debate turning bloody, but I'll not instigate. Wait, whats this?

"Writer seeking masochistic online text and gorey filch."

Off to the presses...=)