Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #126
unedifying

My skin is farily pale--I must try that Blushing Heliophobe!-- so I'd like it paler. And I have so many damn freckles!-- at least ten on my arms alone! I have heard that lemon juice--or, I would assume, any lotion, etc with lemon oil/juice in it-- helps pale the skin and remove freckles.

I have yet to try that one. So far all I've done is put sunblock on everyday and avoid sunlight.

On the subject of perfecting your skin, does anyone have any (CHEAP) ways to remove freckles?

Also, a tip; drinking enough water clears up your complexion amazingly well. So if you have problems with zits and that sort of thing, drink your water!

Divide your weight in half, and drink that much water (in ounces) a day.

Just drinking my 65 Oz. a day has been a great (and cheap) way to improve my complexion.
unedifying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #127
xBloody--Vengeancex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciouslyBeautiful
Whoa, does it take long for the tan to go away??
Apparently, it's taking forever to go away for me. I got burned back in July, and part of my arms are still darker than the other part. It's really annoying me.
xBloody--Vengeancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #128
c130

Quote:
Sunlight allows the body to produce vitamin D, yes it's fortified in milk and so on, but a surprisingly low amount of fortified vitamin D is absorbable due to the nature of the foods to which it's added. The chemical combinations which occur in foods which naturally have alot of vitamin D do not often occur in those bleached or processed foods to which it is added (such as white bread, milk and polished (white) rice). So if you happen to notice that you get sick very often with what are classically called "winter" illnesses (so called because they are related to insufficient sun from staying indoors all winter) you may want to consider a dietary supplement.
QFE.

On top of its benefits to your everyday wellbeing, vitamin D is also apparently your body's main anti-cancer vitamin. Too much sun may give you localised skin cancer at the site of the burns, but no sun at all can lead to a whole host of other cancers, including breast cancer and colon (ass) cancer. There are also problems linked to long-term use of vitamin D supplements, so the best thing you can do for your general health is to get into the sunlight when you can and do what you need to do to avoid burning without hiding in the shade. Your skin generates vitamin D when it's in the sunlight to defend itself, and what your body creates is always better than relying on drugs.

Light skin is one thing, but I can't imagine any of you wanting the full package of light skin and a host of illnesses and cancers related to vit. D deficiency from staying out the sun.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....s/vitamind.asp
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...cer-risk-.html
http://www.healthresearchforum.org.uk/cancer.html
Old 09-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #129
Delkaetre

My family has a cencer history anyway- the way our history looks, I'll get it whether I go into the sun or not.
So armed with this fatalistic view, I have given up on avoiding things that may cause cancer. I'll stay out of the sun for my paleness and sod the vit D, I hang around smokers without asking them to blow the smoke elsewhere, I spend lots of time with computers and my mobile, which are said to do harm....
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #130
unedifying

Don't forget, you can take vitaman suppluments to balance that out.

My personal favorite: http://www.naturessunshine.com/produ...792&language=1

Four times a day, baby!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #131
c130

Quote:
Vitamin D is the only vitamin that the human body can make on its own, with a little help from rays of ultraviolet B light. On a sunny day, a fair-skinned person can make 10,000 to 20,000 IU in 15 minutes or less. (The daily reccommendation is 1,000 to 2,000 IU) Vitamin D is also available in fatty fishes such as salmon and mackerel and in fortified foods such as milk, orange juice and cereals.

(From an L.A. Times article reposted at *link*
You don't need to turn brown (tan in 15 minutes?? That's all the daily sunshine you'd need to expose yourself to) and go on a diet to get what you need... and most of you probably have the food side of it covered.

Just take your hoodie off when you go down to the shops/school/work and you'll have it sorted. No need for parasols, lol.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #132
unedifying

Yay! I just got meine lemons and lotion; because the lotion was unscented. =D I'll just mix it all into one concoction of lotion, lemons and sunblock; because I have no time to do them all individiaully in the morning before school.

Go Aveeno. (Or is it Aveena?)
Old 09-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #133
Crying_Crimson_Tears

It's spelt Aveeno, you had it right.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #134
unedifying

Oh, okay. Thanks. (:
Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #135
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Yup, no problem.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 09-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #136
unedifying

Hmm... people have mentioned Blushing Heliophobe (if I even spelled that right) and other similar products that lighten your skin... what are specific brand names of those sorts of products?

I think I'm going to stick to my sunblock and lemon juice and see how well that works, first, but I may need something a little extra.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #137
Zenit

I'm fairly pale, but I have a problem with blue rings under my eyes...Any tips?

I try to sleep enough and I drink my 26 Oz a day, but I'm a bit too chicken to apply lemonjuice clos to my eyes. First of all, I'm clumsy and will probably spill it into my eyes, and second, I think my skin is too delicate in that area...

I would KILL for the skin some of you people have!

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #138
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil of Doom
I think if I went any paler I'd actually turn clear... I'm paler than a couple of natural redheads I know, and I've only met one person who was paler than I am and she was an albino. I love my complexion, it's one of those few things I really love about my looks. (That, my widow's peak, and my long fingers.)

Anyway, this doesn't change your skin tone, but I bought a lotion with skin -brighteners- in it... It doesn't actually make you paler but it's got a bit of shimmer to it that makes your skin look brighter. The one I got is by Dove, and I really like it.

I may try some of these hints on a couple places where I've got some freckles and slightly darker birthmarks on my body though... the lemon juice/white wine thing, I mean.
Ok I heard about the dove brightening lotion, so all it does is put fine glitter on your skin?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #139
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit
I'm fairly pale, but I have a problem with blue rings under my eyes...Any tips?

I try to sleep enough and I drink my 26 Oz a day, but I'm a bit too chicken to apply lemonjuice clos to my eyes. First of all, I'm clumsy and will probably spill it into my eyes, and second, I think my skin is too delicate in that area...

I would KILL for the skin some of you people have!
Hm, have a problem with that myself sometimes. Usually I apply something cold like, spoons I've had in the fridge (only for a short time, potatos slices, or something of that ilk. Sometimes, it's just heredity, which goes on one side of my family. (I have a cousin whom has them so badly that she was once asked if she'd been punched in the eye. >_<) ...But there are also creams. http://www.nextag.com/circle-cream-dark-eye/search-html

My question is, does that lemon juice idea work on lightening old scars as well?
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #140
Crying_Crimson_Tears

For old scars I just Mederma. It works really, really well. But follow the directions or it won't work as well. I think the lemon juice is good for acne though. Because it dries it out.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #141
Graveyard.Crow

Does getting too much iron result in your skin being darker?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #142
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Only a little bit of iron can cause your skin to become darker.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #143
MollyMac

Shea butter with some lemon juice works on scars. The lemon lightens the flesh slowly and naturally. The shea butter works on skin elasticity to make the affected area look less like a scar in terms of pliance
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #144
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I'm gonna try that, I have some pretty nasty scars.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #145
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Thanks for the suggestions. Scars aren't too bad, with the exception of some nice discoloration on the knee. I often wondered about those creams too. I'll keep an eye peeled for shea butter out here, and possibly the scar cream.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #146
Graveyard.Crow

Coppertone spf 30 oil free sunscreen, is it alright to use that on your face almost every day?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #147
MollyMac

Only if you have drier skin or skin that is not prone to breakouts (Unless you like acne, that is.) I'd recommend SPF 15-30 in a rice or soy based product that has a natural moisturizer and is designed specifically for the face. You can also blend in some liquid foundation to cut down the oil slick factor and still have SPF and make-up coverage.
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #148
Graveyard.Crow

Well it does say apply to face and body, so I suppose it IS alright for the face.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #149
Graveyard.Crow

What I mean is, would it do any harm to my skin over time?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #150
elizabeths_deathwish

I'm actually extremely pale to begin with and even when i get "tan" im still very white. I get freckles occasionally but a little lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide gets rid of them. It's almost sad how pale I am. Last night I was playing around with face paint and the white was almost the right color for my skin.
elizabeths_deathwish is offline   Reply With Quote