Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tismine View Post
One does not need to attack the character of their opponent to attack their argument. A vile tongue is only a hindrance because, instead of finding rational counterpoints to their ideas, you waste time and brain power fabricating petty insults.
Exactly.

Especially, when the point of arguement based on one's opinion.

Morality is dynamic. It keeps changing.

In the middle-age, absolute monarch is the only government people agreed with but ,today, it's considered tyranny.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #27
JCC

Quote:
And in regards to something I can't remember: One does not need to attack the character of their opponent to attack their argument. A vile tongue is only a hindrance because, instead of finding rational counterpoints to their ideas, you waste time and brain power fabricating petty insults.
I don't agree with that. Ad hominems and name-calling keep an argument entertaining, without it we'd just go "Meh, agree to disagree".
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #28
viscus

What exactly brought this topic on, Jillian?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #29
maggot

He's trying to be more punk.
There, I said "fuck politeness, I'll just be an asshole."

JK Alan; we boys, we boys.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #30
Tismine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I don't agree with that. Ad hominems and name-calling keep an argument entertaining, without it we'd just go "Meh, agree to disagree".
Not necessarily. I wasn't referring to all insults, just those that are blunt about it. Ie: "You fatherfucking cunt, go deepthroat an icepick" or something equally stupid. One can insult another while being perfectly polite, and I find these clever snubs so much more entertaining than their less witty counterparts.

I suppose that it all depends on the seriousness of the debate. If it is important, or one feels strongly about it, then I believe that they should greatly limit the number of insults they use. Yes, it wouldn't be entertaining. But if discussing something serious, should the purpose of the debate be to amuse people or to make them think?

Also, only those possessing particularly weak dispositions would be content with backing down. People who don't resort to insults back down no less often then people who do. Those with manners stop talking when they run out of ideas and can't think of anything to add or counter (which, in its own way, is rather pathetic) and those without them resort to name calling, curse words, and recycling the same tired points they made earlier.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #31
JCC

Quote:
"You fatherfucking cunt, go deepthroat an icepick"
That is brilliant.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
Apathy's_Child

I don't have a problem with rudeness born out of frustration with someone who simply refuses to see reason, but that's not always the case here. Often the first comment someone makes on a post will be, "If you really believe that you're an idiot", and often the posts they quote aren't dumb enough to warrant this right off the bat. Petty jibes and awesome shoot-downs are two different balls of wax.

As with everything, context is all.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #33
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
Ow, my brain. >_<

You can be certain of your opinion without being a rude asshole. I think that was HumanePain's point.
Someone got it! My point was made. Perhaps a little over the top.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
Tam Li Hua

HumanePain: Awesome. =)
Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #35
Tismine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
That is brilliant.

Thank you, I suppose, even though my point was to speak of the stupidity of such remarks. ^_^
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #36
Ned Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
It's too fucking much. Too many fucking people are fucking pussies lately. The collective toughness and intelligence of Gnet is declining because of you fuckers.
What the fuck is your obsession with propriety? You would rather be a nerveless pussy with no opinions of their own, or a passive-aggressive cunt that smiles when you entirely disagree, rather than risking calling on someone's bullshit.

Fucking grow up. Not all opinions are equally valid, and if you think so, then you're either a high school freshman, or a hindrance to our gene pool.

Learn to fucking have a real consistent opinion, you fucking pussies. All of you that think all opinions are equally valid are merely subconsciously hiding the fact that your own ideas are shit. You want all opinions to be equally valid because you know that under scrutiny, no one would take yours seriously.
LMFAO!!!!

propriety:

a: conformity to what is socially acceptable in conduct or speech
b: fear of offending against conventional rules of behavior
especially between the sexes
c plural : the customs and manners of polite society

GJ, this is what happens when some dogmatic-politically-correct wielder of power (which should remind you of what totalitarianism is) PURGES Gnet of its
"politically INcorrect" posters of "politically INcorrect" opinions....

Nice try though,, I mean trying to foment insurrection.

What, Is Gnet getting too boring for you now that you have effectively BANNED all "politically incorrect" opinions?

Well? Make up your mind! Either you want to debate, or you don't!
Ironically, by deconstruction, it seems like you are the said pussy...

Just out of curiosity, do you know who Jacques Derrida is?
(the name itself should tell you EXACTLY what I (and you) think about political correctness)
Ned Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote