Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Is the earth flat?
Yes. 3 9.09%
No. 11 33.33%
I like pie. 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Asurai

Idiocy

I just need to make a short rant.

So, I was sitting in class, and we were all writing quietly, when a person suddenly asks, "Say, what would happen if a person walked around the earth? Would he, like, fall off somewhere?" (Keep in mind that this is a high-school senior who is about to graduate cum laude from an A-rated school. The education system is irreparably fucked.)

I snapped myself out of the idiocy-induced coma just in time to hear the responses:

"Er, no."

"Really? Never?"

"Nope."

"If you just kept walking, you wouldn't fall off?"

"No, I really don't think so..."

"...I mean, gravity pulls you down, and isn't the earth like a circle? You really wouldn't just roll down off into space?"

Etc. I think that I lost brain-cells. The person was quite serious.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
FenrisQueen

Actually, I think that guy might be smarter than some o my teachers...
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Hunter

*boggles* Wow so if I tried to walk around the earth and somehow managed to do the Jesus trick of walking on water so I could get over the oceans and all I wouldn't fall off? Amazing!
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
secretboy

I had something important to say about this, but it all got interrupted, because I felt it really important to say right now:

I really...really like pie.

Pie is tasty.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Granny-like_the_apple

Ok, mea culpa-I have not been 100% honest. I said that I liked pie, but in reality, I don't. I'm sorry for messing up the scientific validity of your poll. I hope you, and God, can forgive me.

And I've done things like that, both in and out of class, where I say really, really stupid things and see if people believe me. When they don't believe me, I laugh inside because I'm usually serious.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #6
Nike

Idiocy? Not at all!

discworld

edit: I'm just realising that I should better be posting the full link to the picture. Visiting Paul Kidby's site is never waste of time
Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
AlKilyu

Re: Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurai
I just need to make a short rant.

So, I was sitting in class, and we were all writing quietly, when a person suddenly asks, "Say, what would happen if a person walked around the earth? Would he, like, fall off somewhere?" (Keep in mind that this is a high-school senior who is about to graduate cum laude from an A-rated school. The education system is irreparably fucked.)

I snapped myself out of the idiocy-induced coma just in time to hear the responses:

"Er, no."

"Really? Never?"

"Nope."

"If you just kept walking, you wouldn't fall off?"

"No, I really don't think so..."

"...I mean, gravity pulls you down, and isn't the earth like a circle? You really wouldn't just roll down off into space?"
Be honest, he follwed that up with "Hey everyone, let's all join the Democratic Party!"
:lol:
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
tiffany_the_writer

idiocy and pie

I don't like pie, but I'll eat it. I had apple pie once, it was like homemade still hot from the oven with ice cream and everything. There was even a wooden table to eat it on with a candle and a window behind it. It was dark outside but you could still see the big fat snow flakes falling. It was amazing pie.

I like cookies better. Or cookie DOUGH!!! Yeah man.

Anyways... I've noticed a lot of people in my classes are stupid too. But then a lot are smart. And some people are smart but seem stupid. Steven in my math class is very smart but you would think he is stupid because he comes across as being rather slow. He is pretty cute too.

I say stupid things sometimes too. lol.
tiffany_the_writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
TeapotScar

Well, you know- there's no way to prove that the earth is round.

Absolutely none.

No, that wouldn't work.

Not a one.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #10
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar

Absolutely none.
Never heard of Eratosthenes, eh?

Or Columbus?

Or the entire being-in-space-and-looking-at-the-earth-from-every-angle-and-concluding-that-it's-spherical thing?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #11
TeapotScar

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely none.
Never heard of Eratosthenes, eh?

Or Columbus?

Or the entire being-in-space-and-looking-at-the-earth-from-every-angle-and-concluding-that-it's-spherical thing?
...Dude- total joke... Chill.

https://www.gothic.net/index.php?nam...&p=53497#53497

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #12
Asurai

Quote:
...Dude- total joke... Chill.
Ah, culpa me. It's difficult to tell sarcasm through text, and I took you for one of the "we can't really know anything at all" philosophical types.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
Nike

Quote:
Ah, culpa me.
oh, be friendly to good old Latin language.
culpa me can't be grammatically working.
culpa is a noun in nominativ and me is an akkussativ --> what you get is "fault me".

heh. now. maybe I haven't got your humor here or whatever. But it's still mea culpa.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #14
Granny-like_the_apple

Actually, Tea may have been joking, but I seriously agree with what she said. Who cares if Eratosthenes pretended to calculate the earth's circumference? He could have been making it all up. NASA could be part of a larger conspiracy to fool us, too.

And Columbus was a pretentious hack who was having an affair with Isabella. [What, you think The Satanic Verses are fiction?]

Old 12-08-2004, 04:13 PM   #15
secretboy

Don't mind me. I'm just adjusting our green apple's tin-foil hat.

Nothing to see here, nothing to see...
Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #16
Granny-like_the_apple

There's no need to mock me just because I haven't bought into the lie that science is infallible.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #17
secretboy

Mockery? Alas, no. I'm helping you with your fashion ensemble. Which is thrilling.

Pinning it on the supposed lies about the supposed infallibility of science, just because you're a two-dimensional apple stuck in a three-dimensional world? A fair attempt, admittedly. But you may have to dig deeper to find the worms eating at your core than mere 'science'.

Now...the moon landing. That shit was totally faked.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #18
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretboy
Pinning it on the supposed lies about the supposed infallibility of science, just because you're a two-dimensional apple stuck in a three-dimensional world?
Hmm, so I see you also believe that there are only three dimensions. Interesting. I'm curious, though, as to which dimension you think I am missing of the three that you are aware of. Height? Because I'd like it to be known that I certainly do have height.
Quote:
A fair attempt, admittedly. But you may have to dig deeper to find the worms eating at your core than mere 'science'.
Worms are yummy.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #19
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike
Idiocy? Not at all!

discworld

edit: I'm just realising that I should better be posting the full link to the picture. Visiting Paul Kidby's site is never waste of time
Terry Pratchet is great. Also- the only person I know who despises pie is the monster that instead feeds off of my friends' and my childhood self esteem... in other words, my best friend's popular ex-anorexic sister.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #20
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike
Quote:
Ah, culpa me.
oh, be friendly to good old Latin language.
culpa me can't be grammatically working.
culpa is a noun in nominativ and me is an akkussativ --> what you get is "fault me".

heh. now. maybe I haven't got your humor here or whatever. But it's still mea culpa.
It can be both.

"Culpo" is a verb: culpo, culpare, culpavi, culpatus.

The imperative of a first conjugation verb is "-a," as you no doubt know. "Me" is the accusative of "ego," "I," so

culpa me = blame me.

Perhaps it should have been "Culpate me," but I was addressing only TeapotScar rather than the entire thread, so "culpa me" is still gramatically correct.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:52 PM   #21
Jane13

... this explains why the senior honors Latin students act all superior...
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #22
MrMaelstrom

Dude, there's a difference between "blame me" and Mea Culpa (my fault/my guilt/my blame).
Old 12-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #23
MrMaelstrom

Semper ubi sub ubi ubique
Old 12-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #24
centurion

The earth is not only round, but it`s also a little speck of dust floating in an endless sea of stars....

The moon landing??? Who cares if it was real or not.... it`s possible, and that`s all that matters.
I mean, if anything was a conspiracy, what would anyone gain from it??
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #25
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Dude, there's a difference between "blame me" and Mea Culpa (my fault/my guilt/my blame).
Alright, given. But it's basically the same. Arrogant bastard.

Quote:
Semper ubi sub ubi ubique
Cuius meretrix, eius felicitas. Wait, that's not right... :?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
... this explains why the senior honors Latin students act all superior...
How so? I'm the only one (senior honors Latin student) here, so you'll have to (please) forgive my ignorance on that matter.