Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #4401
GentlemanBeard

Dragonheart. Sean Connery as a dragon? Awesome.
GentlemanBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #4402
Judas

Book of Eli.

If been playing Fallout 3 a lot lately, so the whole premise reminded me of the Brotherhood of Steel scribe at the Arlington Library. Beyond that, it was an okay movie. Nothing special.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #4403
Ben Lahnger

Went to see a DUMB AND DUMBER Quote-Along. They handed out props. Got to read selected quotes (projected at the bottom of the screen karaoke-style) aloud, in character, with the rest of the audience.

Mock - Si! ... Ing - Si! ... Bird - Si! ...

It was a blast. I don't remember laughing that much at the film the first time I saw it.

Harry: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Lloyd: I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #4404
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
You can't go wrong with a William Castle horror classic!

I knew this before, but it's confirmed on the IMDB page you linked to: Did you know they installed a gimmick in theaters for this film - whenever blood-curdling screams occurred in the movie, hidden buzzers vibrated the seats (although I read audience members actually were shocked by a low-voltage electric charge.)

Here's an introduction to the film by director Castle himself, that hints (not so subtly) at that very idea as a warning to his audience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQm30eQn7I
My copy's got that intro. I loved it.

For some reason, I like the idea of shocking a reaction out of the audience.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #4405
Ben Lahnger

I watched The Other Guys on Netflix the other day. It was alright ... it had some funny moments but wasn't consistent. I did a complete "WTF? I gotta watch that again!" while laughing my ass off and replaying the exit of Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson's characters. That WAS insanely funny.

It got dragged down into a pretty mundane police procedural in the third act, so the laughs were few and far between near the end. But it's a fair enough entertainment if you can watch it for free.

I watched it just in time. Apparently, Sony has determined that the amount of their properties that have been viewed on Netflix has reached some sort of IP data cap level, so they've pulled all their movies for the time being, including The Other Guys. So I guess you'll have to watch Some Other Movie.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #4406
CptSternn

The Ward.

It was mediocre. The plot has been done before, so it's not such a surprising twist at the end.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #4407
Ben Lahnger

Columbo: Death Lends A Hand - watched the 4th episode of the Columbo mystery movies (because it was the earliest one available on NetFlix instant watch) in memory of Peter Falk.

Like a fine wine, his performance as that character just gets better with time.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #4408
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Columbo: Death Lends A Hand - watched the 4th episode of the Columbo mystery movies (because it was the earliest one available on NetFlix instant watch) in memory of Peter Falk.

Like a fine wine, his performance as that character just gets better with time.
He was also 'Grandpa' in The Princess Bride.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #4409
Ben Lahnger

Yes he was, among many memorable film rolls. I have that one on DVD, but might watch him on Netflix in The Brinks Job next.

"As you wish." ... what a great grandpa!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #4410
Beowulf

If... (Directed by Lindsay Anderson, 1967)

This film is one of my all time favourite films, its about a revolution that takes place in a british public school.

`if.... is a 1968 British drama film produced and directed by Lindsay Anderson satirizing English public school life. Famous for its depiction of a savage insurrection at a public school, the film is associated with the 1960s counterculture movement because it was filmed by a long-standing counter-culture director at the time of the student uprisings in Paris in May 1968. It includes controversial statements, such as: "There's no such thing as a wrong war. Violence and revolution are the only pure acts". It features surrealist sequences throughout the film. Upon release in the UK, it received an X certificate.

The film stars Malcolm McDowell in his first screen role and his first appearance as Anderson's "everyman" character Mick Travis. Richard Warwick, Christine Noonan, David Wood, and Robert Swann also star, and Rupert Webster is featured as the young boy Bobby Phillips.

if.... won the Palme d'Or at the 1969 Cannes Film Festival.[1] In 2004, the magazine Total Film named it the sixteenth greatest British film of all time. The Criterion Collection released the DVD on 19 June 2007.`

Source

For more info click on the link below ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063850/

If you want to see something different and thought provoking then I absolutely reccomend seeing this brilliant cult film !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #4411
The Divine Ms. M

Dylan Dog: I like how it was kinda funny in parts, not so much in others...not too bad. Also like that the guy from Being Human US is in it

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #4412
CarrionCorpse

In the last few days I've watched
Buried, The Mechanic, Red Riding Hood, Tangled, Saw: The Last Chapter, The Rite, Get Him to the Greek, Red, and a few others.
I'm slowly trying to catch up on newer releases. Haha
By the way, for having the whole movie shot inside of a 7ft by 3ft box, Buried was incredibly well done.
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #4413
Fruitbat

Bridesmaids - Hilarious. Mr Bat took me to see it (I think he has a crush on Kristen Wiig) and I haven't laughed so hard in a movie for a long time.

Don't let the title put you off. One for the girls or guys who like Wiig's humour.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #4414
Beowulf

Anvil:The Story Of Anvil (2009)

One of my favourite music documentries, the film follows both the history and the lives of one of the most influencial, and criminally unrated metal bands from Canada.

`Anvil! The Story of Anvil is a 2008 documentary film about the Canadian heavy metal band, Anvil. The film is directed by screenwriter Sacha Gervasi, whose previous credits include The Big Tease (co-written with Craig Ferguson) and The Terminal.

The movie features interviews with other musicians who have been influenced by the band, including Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver), Tom Araya (Slayer), Lemmy (Hawkwind, Motörhead), Scott Ian (Anthrax, Stormtroopers of Death), and Lars Ulrich (Metallica).

The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2008, and won Audience Awards at the 2008 Sydney Film Festival, Los Angeles Film Festival and Galway International Film Festival. The film has been nominated in the "Truer Than Fiction" category of Film Independent's 2009 Independent Spirit Awards. The award recognizes emerging directors of non-fiction films.`

Source

Website for film

Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #4415
CarrionCorpse

From Paris with Love and Beastly.
I must say, John Travolta makes a lovely built, bald, badass in the first.
I may have a small crush on him now.
(Or a bit more of one than I did when he was in Greas:P)
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #4416
CptSternn

Rubber. It was...original.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #4417
Ben Lahnger

X-Men: First Class - I caught a 2:55pm matinee and had a good seat with a small crowd. This was better than I expected, but I generally dislike reboots unless the movie series has become intolerably silly like Batman 4 did under Schumacher; I say just recast the parts like James Bond and move on when you have to. (Yes, I like Daniel Craig's portrayal of Bond and understand the irony of that, but leave me alone!)

The film basically rolls back the clock to 1962 and establishes the first gathering of mutants under the auspices of the CIA around the onset of the Cuban Missile Crisis. There are a few bad mutants who want to escalate the nuclear standoff between the Soviet Union and the United States to World War Three, a war they think will be survived by the mutants.

The men who are to become Professor X and Magneto gather together a group to fight this menace, and we learn how they go about recruiting other mutants, including a hilarious scene where they walk into a bar and Hugh Jackman (as an obviously youger-than-we've-ever-seen-him Wolverine) just says "Fuck OFF!" And the two immediately walk right back out of the bar. So much for Wolverine's cameo, but it was funny.

We learn how they got their names, we see their first struggling attempts at training, we find out how Professor Xavier's school for gifted mutants came into being. And we learn how Magneto came to hold the views he does and why he breaks off from being partnered with his friend Charles Xavier.

It is very well done, has believable dialog, and the action sequences are well placed so that the pacing and story never lag. And it has a thrill packed third act that will keep you glued to your seat!

So yes, even though I don't typically care for superhero reboot movies, I highly endorse X-Men: First Class. After X-Men Origins: Wolverine, this film definitely graduates to a higher level.

Edit: BTW - I gave Thor 2.75 stars out of 4. I give X-Men: First Class 3.25 stars out of 4.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #4418
Beowulf

Cool

The Last Picture Show (USA, 1971, Director: Peter Bogdanovich)

`The Last Picture Show is a 1971 American drama film directed by Peter Bogdanovich, adapted from a semi-autobiographical 1966 novel of the same name by Larry McMurtry.

Set in a small town in north Texas during the year November 1951 – October 1952, it is about the coming of age of Sonny Crawford (Timothy Bottoms) and his friend Duane Jackson (Jeff Bridges). The cast includes Cybill Shepherd in her film debut, Ben Johnson, Eileen Brennan, Ellen Burstyn, Cloris Leachman, Clu Gulager, Randy Quaid in his film debut and John Hillerman. It was one of the first films to have used a contemporary popular music soundtrack and, for aesthetic and technical reasons, was shot in black and white, unusual for its time.

The film was nominated for ten Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, and four nominations for acting: Ben Johnson and Jeff Bridges for Best Supporting Actor, and Ellen Burstyn and Cloris Leachman for Best Supporting Actress. It won two: Johnson and Leachman.`

Click for more info

Trailer

It was said at the time of the release of this classic film that it was one of the most important and influencial films made by a young director since Orson Welle`s 1941 master piece `Citizen Kane`.

Classic, and essential viewing !!!.

I think Ben would like this film, being a film buff !!!.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #4419
Saya

Quote:
X-Men: First Class - I caught a 2:55pm matinee and had a good seat with a small crowd. This was better than I expected, but I generally dislike reboots unless the movie series has become intolerably silly like Batman 4 did under Schumacher; I say just recast the parts like James Bond and move on when you have to. (Yes, I like Daniel Craig's portrayal of Bond and understand the irony of that, but leave me alone!)
If they reboot it so that Rogue and Gambit end up together LIKE THEY SHOULD, I will forgive everything the movies have done horribly wrong.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #4420
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
If they reboot it so that Rogue and Gambit end up together LIKE THEY SHOULD, I will forgive everything the movies have done horribly wrong.
No sign of Rogue or Gambit (or Storm or Cyclops or Jean Gray). Just Professor X, Magneto, Beast, Banshee, Mystique, Emma Frost, Azazel, Havock and a couple of other bit players.

They explained how Professor X ended up paralyzed because of an errant bullet from Moira McTaggert. And they explained how Magneto got that nifty telepathy-proof helmet by killing Sebastian Shaw (convincingly played by a game Kevin Bacon!)

Beo, I've wanted to watch that film for a while. Too many movies ... not enough time.

Which reminds me ... I hit up the pawn shop today and bought Adaptation for $2! And I got box set #1 of Monty Python's Flying Circus (with episodes 1-6) for $4, so that will go on the shelf where I've already picked up box sets #4 & #5 at bargain prices! I never get tired of the Pythons.

Speaking of which, did you know they're getting together to produce their first new work in something like 30 years? I wonder if this will be a case of "you can't go home again?" Cleese in particular has seemed ever increasingly cynical in interviews over the last decade, as if he didn't find much of anything funny any more.

#PardonTheTemporaryThreadjack

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #4421
Saya

Oh, I know they're still way before Rogue and Gambit, I'm just saying eventually in a future movie maybe. Mystique had yet to give birth to Nightcrawler and adopt Rogue!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #4422
Ben Lahnger

So the previous movies were WAAYYYYY off of the comic canon? Or they have rewritten the history a few times like they have with all the other comic universes?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #4423
Saya

Quote:
So the previous movies were WAAYYYYY off of the comic canon? Or they have rewritten the history a few times like they have with all the other comic universes?
There were multiple story lines, but some things stay the same. Rogue and Gambit are always together, although they have an on and off thing at times, and the only story line I heard of where she even briefly got with Iceman was one in which Gambit dies.

In the first movie she was basically Jubilee. And yeah, the movies were way off. Which isn't always a bad thing, but completely changing every relationship was too much.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #4424
Saya

Watching Independence Day!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #4425
Beowulf

Night Of The Demon (UK, 1957, Directed by Jacques Tourneur)

`Night of the Demon is a 1957 British horror film directed by Jacques Tourneur, starring Dana Andrews, Peggy Cummins and Niall MacGinnis. An adaptation of the M. R. James story "Casting the Runes" (1911), the plot revolves around an American psychologist investigating a satanic cult suspected of more than one murder.

The film's production was turbulent due to clashing ideas between producer Hal E. Chester on one side and Jacques Tourneur and writer Charles Bennett on the other. Planned to not show a literal demon, producer Chester inserted a monster over the objections of the writer, director and star Dana Andrews. The film was also shorn of 14 minutes in England and America where it played the second half of a double feature in concert with films like The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958).`

Source...

Trailer...

The DVD was a double pack with also included the sequel `Curse Of The Demon` which is good value for 20 quid !!!.

Awesome !!!.