Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: what do you think of gay marriages?
i totally support it 147 81.22%
ugh, it's disgusting 9 4.97%
don't care 25 13.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #151
The Minister Saint-Fond

I would marry a gay guy if he would pay the mortgage. But honestly, drunken jaccuzzis aside, I could never be completely gay. I could never get into that good a shape. I mean, those guys are ripped.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #152
polished_wolf_claws

Gay marriage is fine.

Marriage By Definition is "The union of two people whom love each other" Even The Bible states that....

But you look at the bible and it says you shouldnt do alot of things:

+Thou shalt not kill - Even if a person DOES kill someone *I'm talkin to you Texas, and your Zap Happy Supreme court*

+you should rather spill your seed in the belly of a whore than spill it needlessly. - So all those people who prematurely ejaculate should go to hell?

+I don't rmemeber the quote, but your not even supposed to use too much salt or you'll go to hell.....

I mean even looking past the Bible... It's natural to have sex with eachother, regardless who it is.... DOlphins, lions, Chimps, wolves... hell even domesticated hamsters all get busy with the same sex. sometimes for dominance, sometimes for release.

We're nothing more than Animals with a superiority complex.

That said, I say we all go out and have sex with our fellow Man *Or woman*

"Teh Lordz Satan Protektz me frm ebil in mah PANTS!!!!!11111"
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #153
Black Gestalt

I forget if I already posted in here, or whatnot.

Anyway, I personally feel that marrige shouldn't be a government ordained practice anyway, but a thing people do in their private lives. A civil union system for and grouping of people who wish to unite and possibly gain jurisdiction over children might make more sense.

However, since thats not too likely to happen, I completely support gay marrige. I have many gay and bi friends, and love them dearly. I myself am slightly bi, although I prefer women sexually. But love has nothing to do with the individuals genders (or the amount, for that matter). If two people can be completely commited to eachother, then they should marry if they want to.

Oh, I had this article on the children of gay parents. It showed that children of gay couples often do better that that of stright couples, or just as well. It was in a medical journal too. I'll try to find it.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #154
rockandrose

A while ago, I also read an article, may be the same or similar one to the one your referring to.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #155
needsagrave

Being bi, I obviously think that gay marriage is fine. Love is love; gender doesn't matter. A gay couple where the 2 truly care for each other can raise a child just as well as a straight couple. People just need to accept that, Wow, gay people exist! and they're gonna be seeing them in their lives.. just accept it and move on already.
needsagrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #156
rockandrose

Xng, I can see where you're coming from.

I know people who are clearly straight but claim to be "bi" to look somewhat "hotter" or more "appealing".
Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #157
psychopixi

Gay marriage should be allowed.

If you love someone, then you love them for who they are, not what they look like. We all know that this is the way it ought to be, don't we? You don't marry someone because you think they're pretty; you marry them because you love their personality.

If it's the personality that counts, then how can we say that it's wrong for a man to love another man? X doesn't love Y because he is a man, X loves him because of who Y is.

The government seems to be sending out a mixed message; it's no longer acceptable for a manager to fire a member of staff because he's gay, but they still won't afford gay people the same rights as straight people - ie; marriage.

Yes, the Bible does condem gay sex. It also condems eating pork and shellfish, or wearing a garment of mixed fibres. If we're smart enough to figure out that those things are outdated, why haven't we treated the passages concerning gay sex with the same attitude; it was all well and good then but society has moved on a -lot- since, and we know a lot more about sexuality, biology and genetics than we could have dreamed of 2000 years ago.

Answer: Because it suits the people in power to claim that part of the Bible is still valid.
psychopixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #158
secretboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbideus
Very true.... and your point? :wink:

The other choice could be people actually THINKING about it before getting married. Regardless, my real point being that "Preserving the Sanctity of Marriage" is bullshit.

Whether or not two guys or two women get married in no way cheapens the value of marriage. Divorce, however, does.
I would like to think that it would cause people to think before they get married, but I honestly doubt it. It just doesn't seem like human nature. People fall in love based on nothing and make incredibly stupid mistakes, and then are arrogant enough to think that this one will last forever.

If we REALLY want to get old school, let's go back to the way marriage used to be: a way for families to climb social ladders and trade favors, strengthen alliances. In other words, arranged marriage solely for the sake of producing offspring that are heirs to whatever the family's business is. None of this romance crap. If you fall in love, you have an affair.

The big problem with the marriage debate today is that people have no sense of the past. They think that it was somehow all grand and worked out perfectly and only now is broken. A) it was very different from now, or even our current concept of what marriage and love is, and B) it sucked.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #159
rockandrose

Amylee, please clarify what you think is disgusting?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #160
amyleefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Amylee, please clarify what you think is disgusting?
dear, what is the topic? I gave a reply about it of course, but i deleted it ,
amyleefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #161
rockandrose

I would like to know your reasons (if any) that would support your opinion that gay marriages are "disgusting".
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #162
katsumy

I totally support them... they can be happy like any other couple!
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #163
katsumy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I hate when kids pretend to be bi because gay is trendy!

This is not a rant at ^, it's just a general *I'm angry*.
Thats so true!!!
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #164
thetiesonyourcorset

I found this poem online ages ago so i don't know the link to it but it was by this girl called Mia and i love it:

i sit and i listen
i don't like what i hear
"gays should die"
i couldn't believe my ears.
"gays aren't people"
i hear and see
if you don't like homosexuals
then you can just kill me
call us faggots and fairies
we know what we are
tell me i'm stupid and should die
and run me over with your car
tell me i'm pathetic
and i can only get the same sex
but you can't get either
i heard this from your ex
i'm not fully gay
i'm only bisexual
but if i want to marry a woman someday
i'll do it like any heterosexual
i'm not afraid of your taunts
your name-calling and signs
it doesn't affect me
only sends a shiver of aner up my spine
you say gays will produce more gays
need female and male role models, of course
most gays parents are straight
and most haven't both parents, its called divorce
many don't agree with me
but that's okay
but i hope gays and straights
will see eachother as people someday
peace to the gays
help us out with this burden we carry
please tell everyone
"LET THE GAYS MARRY!"
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #165
TeapotScar

Gay marriage was legalized in South Africa, this week. Just a little bit of info, for those who collect info, as I do ^^.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #166
Manimal

Yeah I read that too - I think the story on the first successful face transplant was more interesting but I never figured South Africa would pass it while super liberal Oregon failed it...

ya just never know...
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #167
rockandrose

For gay nuptials, Cape's your town
Gavin du Venage
December 05, 2005

"CAPE TOWN: GAY couples are to be aggressively wooed by Cape Town's tourism industry, which hopes that newly legalised same-sex marriages will result in homosexuals flocking to the city to tie the knot and honeymoon.

Last week, South Africa recognised same-sex marriages after the country's highest court declared them legal. Cape Town -- which already actively pursues the gay market using its sunshine, nightlife and beaches -- now wants to add nuptials as a draw. One gay guesthouse is already planning its own in-house wedding chapel."

The rest of the article is in this link:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2703,00.html
Old 12-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #168
xXambivalenceXx

For anyone who says that Gay Marriage is wrong because of the bible, let's go back and read through it. Within the same pages of it saying a man shall not lie with another man, it says if a child were to disobey their parents, they were to be killed. If a man slept with a married woman or a married man with a single woman, both were to die. If a man had intercourse with an animal, the man's testicles were to be removed, and the animal killed.

I mean, I say, if we're going to take ONE part of the bible and use it against someone and say we should live by it, why not live by the ENTIRE Bible?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #169
The Minister Saint-Fond

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXambivalenceXx
I mean, I say, if we're going to take ONE part of the bible and use it against someone and say we should live by it, why not live by the ENTIRE Bible?
Look, I voted for gay marriage rights in the Michigan election (we lost, by the way). I'm all for gay people getting married. I do, however, have some apprehension about whether people will use fake marriages to get access to insurance, government funds, citizenship, tax breaks, etc. when it becomes legal. Hell, I would have married another guy in college in order to get a tax break.

But I always think that people go over the top when they say, "The bible says don't eat shellfish too! Should we kill people for eating shellfish?" Come on. The bible says a lot of things. Few of them very clearly. We all need to accept the fact that the Bible says that being gay is wrong. The Bible, in general, does not condone sex for sex's sake. Whether it is between a man and a woman or a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. The Bible gives us a lot of good rules, some of which are outdated (Kosher food to prevent food-born diseases) and some of which that aren't ("Thou shalt not kill").

Any philosophical system falls apart if it's taken too literally, particularly the faith-based ones. That's clear to everyone. I guess what I'm saying is, either you agree with the religious objections or you don't. I don't think it's necessary to mock the supposed ignorance of people who lived 3,000 years ago with ignorance of our own.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #170
rockandrose

Geisha, I don't think Minister meant it in that way.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 AM   #171
LightPollution07

What's wrong with it?

GAY MARRIAGE IS TOTALLY 100% OKAY!!! I mean, isnt a huge part of goth based on individuality?? But when someone is diverse in there sexuality its wrong?? I'm sorry, but that just doesnt seem right to me. People have the right to be happy even if someone else says its wierd. What if someone said you cant wear black because they dont want to look at it? Then you would be mad, wouldnt you?

Gays and lesbians have the right to get married because we DONT have the right to say whats wrong...we're flawed
LightPollution07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:19 AM   #172
LightPollution07

I dont understand how in a counterculture so diverse we can say that a different sexuality is wrong.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #173
LightPollution07

Well, its wrong. This is when I really wish I could change stupid America
Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #174
gothictuesday

The problem is that the legal institution of marriage (as opposed to the religious institution and to the personal "institution", which are two completely different things, if only we would acknowledge it) is predicated on the existence of a sexual relationship between the parties involved. What does sex have to do with tax rates (which are affected by marriage)? If we must have the legal institution of marriage, it should in no way imply a sexual relationship; as long as it does, every person who marries is effectively telling the government to go ahead and police their sex life. If we get rid of that implication, it's clear that there's no problem with same-sex legal marriage, and as for the other two types of marriage, religions and individuals can decide for themselves.
gothictuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #175
gothictuesday

Thanks for the well-reasoned rebuttal
gothictuesday is offline   Reply With Quote