Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Jaye Jang

Exclamation Dental Assistant Fired For Being Too Attractive

http://gma.**********/blogs/abc-blogs/dental-assistant-fired-being-irresistible-devastated-151724600--abc-news-topstories.html[/url]

When I saw this, my first reaction was, "What country did this happen in?" When I found out it was America, my jaw dropped. (Okay, Iowa isn't exactly the Big Apple, so that helped), but then I found out that, "Yes, you can be fired in America for being too attractive, even if you're a guy -- or for being too unattractive).

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._he_break.html

My brain is still reeling.

Btw original article is at news.y*h**.c*m
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
You think thats bad, in Michigan they just passed "right to work", and as a result from what I hear, they can legally fire you for literally anything now.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
BourbonBoy

I read that article on y*hoo and thought the exact same thing. Iowa's one of the "right to work" states like where I live, which basically says that worker's can be fired with little to no reason, unions have no power while also giving less benefits, lower wages and increased hours (which includes overtime that disappears when you go to collect it). If I was that woman, I'd take that shit to the Supreme Court of the U.S. or have it refiled under something else with a different set of lawyers, hopefully the ACLU who can take the case beyond Iowa to the federal level.

Here's the original y*hoo article: http://gma.**********/blogs/abc-blog...opstories.html
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
ape descendant

I think the circumstances are pretty fucked up, though I don't know if this one can be fixed with legislation or litigation.

In reality it is gender discrimination, given the general attitudes in our culture, women are generally judged and held responsible for how they "make" men feel, especially if those feelings are arousal and in these cases instead of acting like adults men are expected to act like mindless, sex obsessed jerks with no self-control.

Its not about her being attractive, its about her being an attractive woman. Funny how it wasn't a problem for 10 friggin' years, till he noticed her, he harassed her about her clothing choice, he hit on her, and his wife "found out" (about some text messages, not even an actual affair *eyeroll*).

This is one of the reasons we have laws about sexual harassment, one's group of employees is not a dating pool. *barf* Sometimes I feel like we're hurtling back in time, instead of going forward.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
This is one of the reasons we have laws about sexual harassment, one's group of employees is not a dating pool. *barf* Sometimes I feel like we're hurtling back in time, instead of going forward.
If it were up to several members within society, we would be going back in time regarding gender roles. I do think that this is something that can be fixed with litigation by bringing it to the forefront and by making people aware of it. By just saying, "Oh, this is fucked up, nothing else we can do about it" is not the way to fight it.

I think the dentist went to his lawyer and said, "Look, my wife's gonna leave me because I have the hots for my assistant. How can I get rid of her without breaking any laws and making it obvious that I do have the hots for her?"

He found the only possible loophole he could use, exercised it, and now the Iowa Supreme Court has basically declared open season for anyone to pull similar crap on anyone within the state of Iowa. The ramifications alone are what make me shudder, because now every state that has the "right to work" laws in affect can pull this without any ramifications by pointing at this case in Iowa.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Miss Absynthe

Court sanctioned victim-blaming, with a smattering of slut-shaming.

Nice.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Renatus

Reminds me of the reason for laws requiring hijabs in the middle east, that they think men will lose control if women are seen without them. Perhaps we should publicly compare these assholes with terrorists, that would certainly get their panties in a bundle.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
Miss Absynthe

There is so much wrong with that statement that I can't even...
Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Jaye Jang

Ren,

The 'blame the victim' mentality doesn't start in the Middle East, and unfortunately does not end in Iowa...

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa...653129706.html
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
Acharis

Apparently the dentist decided to fire this woman to save his marriage, yet legally it wasn't 'gender discrimination' because he replaced her with another female employee.

Never mind his remarks to the fired "too attractive" employee that her infrequent sex life was ''like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it'', or that ''if his pants were bulging she should take it as a sign that her clothes were too revealing''. (Too tired to find the source for that again right now, but I can if needed.)

And apparently her looks weren't a problem in her job for ten years until he started noticing her.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Acharis

Also Swaziland? *facepalm*

The only thing that could make 'arresting women for "inviting ****" by wearing certain styles of clothing' more fucked up than it is... is to then turn around and make this exception.

Quote:
However, the ban does not apply to traditional costumes worn by young women during ceremonies like the annual Reed Dance, where the ruling King Mswati III chooses a wife.

The monarch already has 13 wives.

During the ceremony, beaded traditional skirts worn by young bare-breasted virgins cover only the front, leave the back exposed. Underwear is not allowed.

...If anybody needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
Ren,

The 'blame the victim' mentality doesn't start in the Middle East, and unfortunately does not end in Iowa...

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa...653129706.html
Never said it begins with the middle east, just that it's comparable, and I'm guessing based on the variety of ignorance, these are the sort of people who really don't like the concept of being compared with the middle east. Comparing somebody with somebody they hate, can have the effect of causing someone to change their ways, if only for the sake of being able to say "I'm not like them". I also hope I didn't make you think I was saying everyone in the middle east is a terrorist or has laws like that

Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Miss Absynthe

Making statements comparing the two perpetuates the hatred and does nothing to address the misconceptions and xenophobia.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Never said it begins with the middle east, just that it's comparable ...
Wasn't suggesting that you did, Ren. Just making an ironic observation that discrimination against women goes on everywhere, and isn't limited to just here or the Middle East. Sometimes, as in the Iowa case, the results are unfair or, as in the case below, they can be tragic.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=18062521
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Acharis

Ren's right in a way (that the misogyny and sexism in both countries come from the same root), but there can't really be a parallel between the cultures. And I don't think that comparison to terrorism would have any effect, but rather be written off as hyperbole.

Same thing, different expressions and levels of enshrinement in law.
It's that the men involved in these situations want control of women and their sexuality. Either suppressing it by the threat of r@pe or arrest - or treating womens bodies/sexuality as up for grabs by r@ping, imposing an unwanted sexual context or getting them to expose themselves for a powerful guy.

You can see by the hypocritical exception for the traditional nudie wife-selection dance that it's not about choosing one set of morals or the other (puritanical vs hedonistic), but that the men involved find it important to call the shots over women to their own advantage.

ie. Women can't exert free will over their bodies or how they dress or have sex. (Or in some countries, even have an anti-r@pe protest.)

Back to the original topic of the firing and the dentist. This is the article I read the comments from.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2348381.html

In this case it's not overt groping or open punishment for her clothing, but the dentist has imposed an unwelcome sexual context and made the fired employee responsible for his inability to control his sexual feelings.
(With a large dollop of victim blaming shite and the ability to legally discriminate against women if you're sufficiently sneaky about it.)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
CuckooTuli

What the actual fuck?? So... basically, he was a creep incapable of the amount of self-control required not to be creepy... and during a global recession with a shitty job market, this was considered a good enough reason for a woman who had done absolutely jack-shit wrong to lose her job. Awesome.

I never fail to be astounded by the quasi-religious reverence that society shows the male sex drive. You see it every time someone suggests that legalizing prostitution would lessen incidences of ****, every time a woman whose partner cheats on her is automatically assumed to have been 'withholding the goods', every time a **** victim gets slut-shamed... Cos it's not about violence, structures of oppression & entitlement, or any of that boring shit, right? - it's a force of nature, that we can't possibly expect men to control. Instead, we should construct society around it. It's the ONLY WAY to protect the womens from its awesome & primal might.

*joins Acharis in the angry dome*
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
AshleyO

Off with that fucker's head.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote