Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Born Again

West Memphis Three Released From Prison

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/or...20110819.shtml
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Grausamkeit

Only days to convict innocent kids on evidence of a forced false confession from a mentally handicapped kid, juror and judge bias and hearsay, but it takes 12 fucking years to exonerate them. That's the US court system for ya!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Saya

Because of the plea deal though, they can't sue for wrongful imprisonment or anything
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
MissCheyenne

^ I'm guessing they are more interested in being free than money. Or at least I know I would be if I was in that position.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Saya

I know, but they really should be given some kind of compensation. They've been in jail for a long time, I assume this means they'll still have a record...how do you go on from that?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Why would they still have a record?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Why would they still have a record?
From what I understand the plea bargain was that they put in an Alford plea, which means its a guilty plea, the defendants don't admit guilt but admit there is sufficient evidence against them that they could be found guilty.

So they still have a record, and they can't seek restitution or make any money from telling their story or book rights or anything like that.

I read that the prosecutor thinks they are guilty and will not reopen the case, so there is pretty much no hope of finding the real killer(s) either.

Last edited by Saya; 08-19-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Alford, not Alfred, hahahaha
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
Ben Lahnger

I saw an interview this morning. The youngest one wanted to hold out for proving his innocence, but relented and decided to accept this deal when the plight of the one stuck in solitary confinement on death row was considered.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Spooky Spencer

So the cost of their freedom is twelve years they can't get back and no means to support themselves other? And you just know the cops will be watching for the first opportunity to screw up and put 'em back in jail (being convicts and all).
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
From what I understand the plea bargain was that they put in an Alford plea, which means its a guilty plea, the defendants don't admit guilt but admit there is sufficient evidence against them that they could be found guilty.

So they still have a record, and they can't seek restitution or make any money from telling their story or book rights or anything like that.

I read that the prosecutor thinks they are guilty and will not reopen the case, so there is pretty much no hope of finding the real killer(s) either.
Well, they discovered a human hair on a rope that was used to tie-up one of the boys. The DNA test matched it to Terry Hobbs (Stevie Branch's step-father) who claimed to have not seen the boys that day, which was later disproved by a neighbor who seen Terry and the boys playing in the front yard that morning. Not enough evidence to convict anyone obviously, but it's a start.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Well, they discovered a human hair on a rope that was used to tie-up one of the boys. The DNA test matched it to Terry Hobbs (Stevie Branch's step-father) who claimed to have not seen the boys that day, which was later disproved by a neighbor who seen Terry and the boys playing in the front yard that morning. Not enough evidence to convict anyone obviously, but it's a start.
I hate the fact that someone who probably did it was never really suspected in favor of 3 'deviants' who had no motive, didn't know the kids and had no previous records(IIRC).

Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Vince

i watched Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills when it first aired on HBO. i turned to my aunt who was watching it with me and i said to her that i thought it's likely that the kid's step-dad was the one that did it. She agreed.

i've tried to keep up with the case since then. But every time i'd read more about it i'd become disgusted and pissed the fuck off.

It felt good to go to wm3.org and see in big bold letters that they were free.

Hopefully it doesn't end here though. There are still three other little boys that need to be freed as well...

...find the son of a bitch that killed them.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Grausamkeit

Vin, did you get that same sick feeling in your stomach when they said that they were comparing bite marks from WM3 to marks on the boys and the one kid's stepdad went and got his teeth pulled out? Fucked up. And his wife(one of the boy's mom) died under mysterious circumstances. The prosecution probably could have found compelling, hard evidence against that bastard if they hadn't been following the wrong godamn trail.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
I hate the fact that someone who probably did it was never really suspected in favor of 3 'deviants' who had no motive, didn't know the kids and had no previous records(IIRC).
I agree, the pathetic truth in their preceding suspicion came about through a probation record on one of the suspects. From my understanding, they simply just "picked" out a name, and the other two boys were barely acquaintances with him. Because Damien opted out in conforming to the town's religious and societal beliefs, the "satanist" was automatically suspected.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Saya

Quote:
Yeah but if the prosecutor says CASE CLOSED, and they are still technically considered guilty, I'm pessimistic that the real killer will ever be even brought to court.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Yeah but if the prosecutor says CASE CLOSED, and they are still technically considered guilty, I'm pessimistic that the real killer will ever be even brought to court.
True, which they'll probably end up doing in order to cover their ass. But, couldn't the Supreme Court reopen the case if they deemed necessary?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
Ben Lahnger

I have no hope that the guilty parties will ever be brought to justice.

Not when THIS is what passes for detective work in that part of the world.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Saya

Quote:
True, which they'll probably end up doing in order to cover their ass. But, couldn't the Supreme Court reopen the case if they deemed necessary?
As a non American non lawyer type person, take what I think with a grain of salt, but to my knowledge someone would have to appeal the sentence, wouldn't they? Can you appeal after you enter a guilty plea?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Ben Lahnger

My more American but no more lawyerly answer is ... NO, I don't believe so.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I have no hope that the guilty parties will ever be brought to justice.

Not when THIS is what passes for detective work in that part of the world.
It pisses me off that they didn't bother arresting the assholes after the girl solved the case! WTF Popos? Shame on that department for not doing their own damn job! Fuckers! How can we expect a justice system to work when the people running it are too damn lazy to do the work properly?