Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #76
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh
I understand what you mean. It is easy to go "Starbucks is bad, so don't do starbucks mmm'kay?" because of its exposure in the media.
Can you tell me what things have you been exposed to that make you hesitate to condemn corporations?
I read a fascinating and convincing paper by a graduate student in philosophy of business which attempted to show that 'sweat shops' are in fact wholly beneficial when looked at in their own contexts, and not internationally.

I've seen lives made by the powers of big business, lives that'd be considered 'the underdog'. I've also seen lives destroyed by same. It, like any power, can be used in many ways, but the ethical splash effect, those people on the periphery affected by said business, is huge, and this kind of largess is frightening, especially when not understood. So, I guard my knee-jerks, and learn.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #77
angel_dark_demon_bright

On the weekends, hmm... lets see...
If Im not working friday night Ill either spend the time drinking my weight in alcohol, spending time with the girlie friend, watching tv, or hanging with friends. Except today, im using the computer. (theres nothing on the tube X_X)

Saturdays are usually spent sleeping through the hangover, working, or doing whatever. It seems that tommorrow is going to be spent fixing my truck. X_X

On sunday I sometimes go to church to repent for the bad things did on friday night. Time after that is spent on whatever didnt get done during the week. Or sleeping. Or working. On sunday I go to crew the set for our local theatre production. (They needed someone who knows how to work the lights and sound). After that we strike the set.

Then i get ready for work on Monday. X_X
<sigh> My life sucks.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #78
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
I read a fascinating and convincing paper by a graduate student in philosophy of business which attempted to show that 'sweat shops' are in fact wholly beneficial when looked at in their own contexts, and not internationally.

I've seen lives made by the powers of big business, lives that'd be considered 'the underdog'. I've also seen lives destroyed by same. It, like any power, can be used in many ways, but the ethical splash effect, those people on the periphery affected by said business, is huge, and this kind of largess is frightening, especially when not understood. So, I guard my knee-jerks, and learn.
That indeed must've been well-written if it could convince that "sweat-shops" are nothing but beneficial within their own contexts. I'd love to read it. However, we can't take these things out of international context, because they would not exist if there was no international context.

The thing I have come to believe is that the power of big business is not controlled by a conscience. It is more like the power of nature. Regardless of how good-natured and ethical those at the helm of the business are, the corporation will destroy anything that stands in its way, because that's how it functions. It will have beneficial effects sometimes too, but only insafar as it benefits the corporation itself. When it stops benefitting from being "nice" it will turn on a sixpence and look after its own.

I too am open to learning, and If you want to learn more I recommend the documentary "The Corporation".

As the blurb on IMDB says "(The Corporation) typically acts like a dangerously destructive psychopath without conscience."
Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #79
DrenchedInGin

Ah, weekends. Sleep, first priority. Then (cringes in embarrassment) I like to go jogging. I know, I know, but it's addictive.

Martini Time starts around 4 pm both days. Saturday night I usually shed a few tears over the fact that all the local nightclubs are full of mundane preppies dancing to commerical music (shudder). End up locking myself in my boudoir with a horror movie instead.

Every Sunday we roleplay with friends. Killing dragons is much more enjoyable after four martinis...

Is it Friday yet?
DrenchedInGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #80
Engulfed_in_darkness

Hello all. I return from my computer having a virus.Anyways, To enjoy a friday...Watch a horror movie in the dark living room with a few candles lit. By the way, Is anyone going to watch that movie on the antichrist coming out on 6/6/06 of course called, The Omens?
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #81
Engulfed_in_darkness

Oh what a great summer friday night tonight it is 8:40 PM and theres quite a great thunderstorm outside right now. I think Im going to watch The Craft now. >
Old 08-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #82
the_ink_bleeds_faster

On my weekends, its either the same. I sleep, watch tv. mess with my computer or a friend comes over to my house. And coffee, coffee is always needed, but I have it with all of my days. Once and a while I go shopping, but thats if I have money. That's pretty much what I do I guess.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 AM   #83
Delkaetre

Favourite weekends involve
Friday- at boyfriend's house, enjoying whiskey or absinthe, a good movie, his XBox360, and him. Or, should that Friday be Unity Friday- off to Unity for a night of pounding Industrial/EBM. Generally I talk to karmadef about politics for an hour or two- not fair to leave him on door all alone, after all.
Saturday- Morning- in the city. This involves a couple of hours spent at Utopia for nachos+cheese and delicious fresh smoothies, with the added bonus of conversation with some of the city's best deviants. Lovely people
Afternoon- still in the city, do a brief trawl of coffee shops and comic shops to locate a couple of spare people, then head to our traditional pub for an afternoon of quiet drinks and good company. There will be cynicism, bitching, and jokes in very poor taste. May deviate from the Hewitt and go to the York, Katy Daly's or the Stiff Kitten if our usual place is somehow taken.
Evening- go home, or if there's a gig or Conucopia on, go out. Cornucopia is our main goth night, very friendly, and I can easily spend all night talking to people I've not seen for a month instead of dancing to the nice 80's/Trad music.
Sunday is collapsing from lack of money and energy day. Weekends always follow this routine, because I have very fixed habits.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #84
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I normally like to go to my school's dances on Friday nights. I normally will have soccer practice or a game before that. I get ready with my two best friends. Then my boyfriend normally shows up and we all hang out. Then I go home, eat something, maybe see my niece before she goes to bed. I then stay up all night talking on the phone with my boyfriend. I watch House when it comes on at 11.

Saturdays are spent doing whatever comes up. Most of the time I hang out with my boyfriend then. Either that it'll be my friends. Most of the time my friends aren't around and if my dad is working my boyfriend can't come over so I hang around and do nothing all day. I do my chores most of the time.

Sundays are spent doing absolutely nothing. If I didn't do my Saturday chores on Saturday I do them on Sunday, and if my dad had to work the day before then I get to see my boyfriend. But those are all ifs and most of the time everything happens the day before. If it's shopping week for groceries and stuff then I go with my dad and do the shopping just to get out of the house.

I live a pretty boring life. But that's okay with me I guess.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #85
Delkaetre

Still looks livelier than mine... my entire life is confined to my weekends, as during my time at school I spent my time in the private study, avoiding contact due to bullying issues. Home time was spent alone in room due to familial disagreements. Now school is done, I spend my weekdays at home doing nothing because I have no job- I try to have good weekends because they're all I have.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #86
Engulfed_in_darkness

I may be 13 only but I carry a metal bat incase. I go out in the night and hide in the bushes. <_<=>_>
Old 08-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #87
Delkaetre

That seems... foolish and violent. Why do that when you can run like the nine hells and avoid confrontation? Learning the fine art of city-running allows you to get away quickly from any dangerous situation!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #88
Engulfed_in_darkness

I agree. But I just have this sense......of patrolling....Its not really violent because I dont hurt people. The bats is incase of some opposing danger. If my friend walks by though I pull him/her into bushes, top their mouth and say "silence, he's looking for us, the army of the dead is nigh......"
Its actually pretty fun. ;D
Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 AM   #89
Delkaetre

I shall stick with my preferred tactics of self-preservation when walking through potentially unfriendly areas- keeping to a group of two or more others, and knowing that I can defend myself without weapons (unless steel toecaps and/or pointed boots count). Your way seems ideal for attracting a beating, though I'm sure I don't have it in context. There's probably a reason you do this.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #90
Slap Your Love

On weekends I either spend it with my girlfriend or take the completely different alternative and make insane jackass/pyro videos with my good friends, or read and surf the web. Heh. The weekend starts this afternoon! yes, yes, yes, and <3 the coffe and popcorn idea. I shall try it.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #91
Delkaetre

Pyro is fun... I remember kicking about at the waterfront and my then-boyfriend running up and down yelling "my HAND is engulfed in a giant BALL OF FLAME!" until someone put it out. It was only burning boydspray, it wasn't going to hurt him.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #92
Engulfed_in_darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I shall stick with my preferred tactics of self-preservation when walking through potentially unfriendly areas- keeping to a group of two or more others, and knowing that I can defend myself without weapons (unless steel toecaps and/or pointed boots count). Your way seems ideal for attracting a beating, though I'm sure I don't have it in context. There's probably a reason you do this.
Yes, I dont know why, Its just like a sense of patrol of the town though thats the police officers job but when I was merely a child at age 10 I remember looking out my window past 12 AM and if I found any monors out at that time I would throws eggs at them to teach them a lesson not to play outside after dark. Leave the darkness for the childen of it. The wolves.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #93
Engulfed_in_darkness

Thread Ressurection! Hello everyone. Well, I was just looking at old threads I remember posting in from the last time I was here since I only returned a few days ago. And I remember this thread! Ugh, my last post, How awful my grammer was back in those days! It sickens me!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #94
Minyaliel

Hm. Even though I'm not very fond of necro'ing... this thread is quite alright. Ah well.

My typical weekend is spent asleep or reading on the couch, drinking lots of green tea or chai tea. Occasionally, I might wander out into the woods to satisfy my spiritual needs. Lately I've been forced out of my habits due to a belated exam thingy, and now spend it writing about LARP, the origins of the theatre arts and my practical exam... *sighs, wondering if it'll be finished before the deadline on 1 February...*
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote