Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #51
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jackal View Post
You'll only do it because for some reason, you have no choice.

Does this help the discussion?
This is some of that "a writer writes" stuff, isn't it? Or "write what you know?"

Somebody asked me once already on here if I wrote anything. I think I'd like to one day, but anything I've ever written always sounds too much like something else I've read when I re-read it later. I guess until I learn to "hide my inspirations" better, I can't really call myself a writer.
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #52
Spooky Spencer

Okay, I went back and read a little more.

If someone writes their entire life, just because they aren't published doesn't mean they aren't read, but that shouldn't matter if they do it for themselves.

Someone who makes their bed every morning isn't necessarily a homemaker, but someone who does it for a living may not consider themselves a homemaking professional, either. People label each other and themselves in an effort to define things, but nothing and no one is as simple as that.

Case and point: if the Grim Reaper ran around calling himself "an internationally recognized celebrity," while that may be technically true, I don't think too many people are lining up for autographs and photos. At the same time, I also don't think people would be inclined to tell him he's wrong to his toothy face, either.
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #53
Ben Lahnger

I'm a little irritated that spambots are resurrecting nearly two year old threads now.

Since the thread has been woken, I think a quote I used to see in Edible_Eye's signature here is appropriate to reference:

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." ~ Stephen King

Man, do I miss Edible_Eye.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #54
Corpsey

I enjoy regular quotes from him via facebook. He posts that sort of thing all the time. If you would like it, I could send you a link to his profile. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if it was Ben.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote