Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
SararRhiannon

Ew, A newbie, RUN !

(Not literally, please don't run -.-')
My names Sara, just joined for the hell of it, maybe find some people with a common interest or two as me. I'm not here to be a fake, and I'm not here to make fun and criticize others. I'm not a 15 y/o cam-hoe, nor do I come to meet guys double my age just to have "fun" with. I hope to meet a lot of chill people here and I'm sure Ill like my stay.

^^ See you all around.
-Sararhiannon
SararRhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here !!!.

One more thing, please answer the questionaire on the sticky so you can tell us more about the music and books you like, or any interests you have !!!.

Click on the link below for the questionaire ...

http://gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1644
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
SararRhiannon

Goooot it, Ill just fill it out here
1. What do you do? Music, Soccer, I watch dogs and soon I'll be starting to work at the hair salon I go to.
2. Where are you from? Ottawa, ONT.
3. Who is your favorite author?Cassandra Clare
4. What are your favorite films? Anchorman, V For Vendetta, All 5 Saws, Dawn Of The Dead.
5. What music do you want played at your wedding? Metal.
6. At your funeral? More Metal.
7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? Hmm...Killed in a moshpit ; )
8. What kind of casket would you want? Cherry wood with crimson silk lining and gold hardware.
9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? My Tripp capris, black tank with fishnet scoop 3/4 sleeve, Lucky 13 sweater, one of my pairs of converse, chain choker.
10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? How easy it was to make friends.
11. What's your favorite band? Slayer, Judas Priest, Pantera, Nightwish, that kinda thing.
12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? I go to High School >.<
13. Why did you join? Love the gothic subculture, meet new people.
14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? FEMALE.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
RozzVanian

Do you consider yourself goth? Just curious.
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
SararRhiannon

Nope, not at all.
Just like it a lot.
I dont "have the balls" to stand out in a crowd at this point in time, hopefully it'll come, slowly but surely.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
viscus

Goth doesn't have so much to do with the look as it does the music, which metal surely isn't.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
SararRhiannon

Those are some of my favorite bands...
And I never said Im goth, just said I wasnt.
And goths cant like music?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
SararRhiannon

No matter the genre* oops, hit post to early.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
RozzVanian

If you're not goth, and you don't listen to goth music, why did you join a goth forum? Join a metal forum or something...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
SararRhiannon

Cause I like it? not like goths are a different life form and I'm not permitted to talk to them or be in contact.
I just find it slightly rude that I'm not being welcomed very well just because I don't dress like you.
And I apologize but Ive been browsing for about an hour through certain threads and some of these people, based on your standards, shouldn't be here because they like bands like Black Sabbath, and Avenged Sevenfold.
And not once did I ever say I didn't listed to Gothic music.
Guaranteed I can find people that are currently on here that DO like metal, I did nothing wrong, I don't see why I'm being told that I shouldn't be here.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Saya

Oy. Don't feel offended, plenty of members here listen to metal and a lot aren't actually goth, a lot of my favourite bands aren't goth. It has nothing to do with the way one dresses, btw, the general consideration around here is that goths simply are hardcore fans of goth rock, but you don't have to be goth to post here, no rule stating so. You might want to brush up on some good bands though so you have a general idea what we're talking about sometimes ^_^

So please stay, and welcome!

EDIT: Btw, love Ottawa.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
RozzVanian

Yes, welcome. I was just curious is all. I want to be friends.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
SararRhiannon

Kay cause I almost went through the "What Are You Listening To Thread..." from the beginning...I found Stevie Nicks(*was named after two of her sons*), Avril, Jethro Tull(no offense to aqualung)..THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
RozzVanian

No, no, no. It's okay to like all kinds of music. I was just simply wondering. My mistake. It's just that we've had alot of new members who know nothing about gothic culture and are basically trolls.

But I know you're not like that, so it's all good. My deepest apologies if I came across as a jerk.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
SararRhiannon

Lol, from past experience, Ive found I tend to like jerks more than other people...
If you didn't catch on I was talking about an ass-hole-ish ex hahaha
Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
SararRhiannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post

EDIT: Btw, love Ottawa.
Live around here?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #17
Stormtrooper of Death

Finally somebody else who likes Slayer! Although I prefer S.O.D. Welcome and all thats stuff.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
Pyre

I think my only beef is that you claim to love the gothic subculture but clearly don't know much about it. I always believed that people who loved something would look into it further, which for those who claim to love goth would mean that they would discover that metal and Marilyn Manson aren't goth.

I do not mean to offend or put you in the limelight specifically, because you're certainly not the only person who has this misconception of goth. To be honest, I used to call myself goth before I listened to goth rock, back when I was getting into metal and dark clothing. But because I was interested in it I did research on it, discovered the music, and actually stopped calling myself goth once I actually reached the point where I could be considered goth. . . I still enjoy metal (although probably not the stuff you're interested in), but I also love goth rock and other forms of music. Hell, I like Phil Collins and Michael Jackson. So shoot me.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
Tam Li Hua

Sara: Welcome to the boards! Don't worry abou the "hard-core" Goths here; some of us -are- actually rather laid-back. (-;

Pyre: I would steadfastly have to disagree about Goth being only about the music. There are a lot of folks who like Peter Murphey and Robert Smith who don't consider themselves part and parcel of the Goth lifestyle. Me personally, I tend to think the fashion gets people's attention FAR more than the music does, and that the fashion was part of the reason Goths stood out so much in the beginning anyways. It's a kind of "visual kei", to borrow from the Japanese.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #20
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzVanian View Post
No, no, no. It's okay to like all kinds of music. I was just simply wondering. My mistake. It's just that we've had alot of new members who know nothing about gothic culture and are basically trolls.

But I know you're not like that, so it's all good. My deepest apologies if I came across as a jerk.
You tend to always come off as a jerk. Just sayin'...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Vigormortis

Welcome Sara. I'm a huge metal fanboy, love it to death, but you would be doing yourself a great disservice not to do what Saya said and look into some real goth bands as well. I discovered the joy for myself many years ago, and I still find that they mingle quite nicely on my mp3 player. It's a different vibe, but it's still a good one.
Vigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
RozzVanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
You tend to always come off as a jerk. Just sayin'...

Well alot of my intentions are lost in translation. I think you come off as a jerk as well, especially towards me. Just sayin'.

This "grudge" or whatever you're holding against me, it's pointless. I just want to get along.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #23
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
Sara: Welcome to the boards! Don't worry abou the "hard-core" Goths here; some of us -are- actually rather laid-back. (-;

Pyre: I would steadfastly have to disagree about Goth being only about the music. There are a lot of folks who like Peter Murphey and Robert Smith who don't consider themselves part and parcel of the Goth lifestyle. Me personally, I tend to think the fashion gets people's attention FAR more than the music does, and that the fashion was part of the reason Goths stood out so much in the beginning anyways. It's a kind of "visual kei", to borrow from the Japanese.
You're totally out of bounds. One does not have to call themselves or even consider themselves goth because they like the bands, but the bands ARE where goth came from. And goth fashion is derived from punk fashion, but not the kind of punk fashion people really consider today. And, it's not about getting people's attention: unlike punk, goth didn't set out to be a spectacle, it just became one on its own. They didn't stand out at the time because they were still an off-shoot of punk, and they looked similar to punks. It wasn't until later that there was a more defined fashion within the goth subculture. And "visual kei" is more related to glam rock than it is goth. I have never seen a goth that I could consider anything like "visual kei" unless they were glam rock influenced or cyber goths.

That is my personal opinion and not the kind of bias I'll take when I work on my research, mind you.

And, to make my point more clear, I do not think it's ONLY about the music, but that is a significant part of the subculture. I personally believe that cyber goths are goth as well, but just an offshoot (I typically will differentiate between cyber goths or death rockers, and although that omits some goths bands it's still the clearest definition between the two types). They do not typically listen to the classic goth rock from the 80s, but hell, I am also a metal head and I certainly don't listen to the bands that created it. I believe there are varying degrees of goth, but each one of them still involves music. It IS a music subculture, not a fashion subculture, though certain fashions are clearly associated with it.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #24
Jack again

It's football, not "soccer". Sorry, that's one of my pet hates. Are you interested in English/European football? If so, who do you support?
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzVanian View Post
Well alot of my intentions are lost in translation. I think you come off as a jerk as well, especially towards me. Just sayin'.

This "grudge" or whatever you're holding against me, it's pointless. I just want to get along.
I hold no grudges with anyone, and I have no problem with you at all to be honest. I'm just saying as an observation (if you hadn't noticed) you tend to come off as a jerk. And I've only ever been honest with you, if you deem that worthy of the term 'jerk' I'm sure that's only because you fall prey to the same problems most people have with hearing the truth.