Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Despanan

OBSCENELY good article on Insitutionalized Authoritarianism.

Also Kindergarten, Occupy, Stop and Frisk, White Privilege, the expectation of autonomy, the NYPD...everything really.

Give it a read:

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/kindergartencops/

Quote:
I know a boy named David. He is ten years old and shorter than the other boys, which makes him better at backflips. The cool girls all love him and he trades jackets with the ones he dates, unflinchingly confident in the fur hoods and pink lettering that would socially destroy any other boy. When you yell at him, he doesn’t look you in the eyes and he shrugs his shoulders repeatedly. I know because years ago, he was a student of mine, and his shruggy averted eye contact used to render me speechless with frustration.

I started thinking about David when my brother John was arrested at Occupy Wall Street for the second time. In my time as a white American adult, I’ve grown used to the expectation to have control over what happens to my body and the bodies I care about. It’s an expectation of privilege, one I only became aware of when the NYPD seized control over my brother’s body. I began to think about how many adults in the world have been systemically denied this autonomy. Specifically, I thought of the of the ones whose first interactions with their local police department came long before the age of 25, when mine did. Without my voluntary attendance at Occupy Wall Street, I probably could have gone the rest of my life without being shoved or threatened by a police officer; Jateik Reed and millions of other young men of color have no such choice. By walking to school or work or the bodega, their bodies are at risk of being beaten, detained, shot, and killed by the police...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
ape descendant

Bodily Autonomy is EVERYTHING.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
CuckooTuli

Bodily autonomy is so often underemphasised in debates about UK policing.

I reposted this on Facebook, and a friend remembered passing the London climate change protests and asking the white middle-class college police why they were being all buddy-buddy with the police, making them cups of tea and so on. Their reply was "Well this is a PEACEFUL PROTEST and there isn't going to be any violence." He still remembers the slight satisfaction he felt despite himself when the police rushed them a few days later and started busting heads, and those same peaceful protestors starting racking up the kind of injuries and injustices they were too complacent to even consider possible before. Their belief that only those looking for trouble get fucked up by the police took a serious hit that day; I wonder if they also realised that unlike them, not everyone can just walk off the battleground when they get sick of getting their arse kicked.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote