Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #26
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetischfweek
critasizm
What the hell is that o.O

I really don't think we should start a discussion in here about what's "goth" - there are enough threads on that subject.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #27
Gothic.net

Quote:
Gothic.net, feedback on the book is unnesecary, i dont care what you think about the book, thats your opinion, i respect your opinion, but i dont really care when it comes to my photography, all i care about is what you think of my idea, not where i got it from, youve given your feedback, all of which is bad, if you think my idea sucks, fine, why dont you come up with something that you think is better, i just wanna capture the essence of what goth is in the comunity, that was my idea, now how bout yours? instead of blasting me with negative feedback try some constructive critasizm.

I think evaluation of the book is important if it contributes to the idea of the image you hope to create. If you just posted the idea, I would think you came up with the trite concept, but since you mentioned the influence of that book, I feel it's wholly reasonable to assign blame for the trite idea to the book instead. Thus, I pointed out that I am not shocked that you got such an idea from that book, given the nature of its content.

But, if you just want to talk about the photo idea, I guess some other questions come to mind. What is the goal of the picture? What is the objective? Who are you shooting it for? What are you trying to communicate with it? Where do you hope to have it seen?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #28
fetischfweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
What the hell is that o.O

I really don't think we should start a discussion in here about what's "goth" - there are enough threads on that subject.
true, i meant Criticism, my spellings never been the best, i have trouble seeing letters in the right order, thats why i try and speak through pictures
fetischfweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #29
fetischfweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net
I think evaluation of the book is important if it contributes to the idea of the image you hope to create. If you just posted the idea, I would think you came up with the trite concept, but since you mentioned the influence of that book, I feel it's wholly reasonable to assign blame for the trite idea to the book instead. Thus, I pointed out that I am not shocked that you got such an idea from that book, given the nature of its content.

But, if you just want to talk about the photo idea, I guess some other questions come to mind. What is the goal of the picture? What is the objective? Who are you shooting it for? What are you trying to communicate with it? Where do you hope to have it seen?
firstly, sorry for getting shitty, secondly, lets answer those questions shall we

What is the goal of the picture? I guess to show others who dont understand me what life is like. Im not entirly sure of the answer to that one, i dont usually take photos for reasons.

What is the objective? To talk to people i guess, again i dont usually do things for reasons.

Who am i shooting it for? Anybodys who is willing to see.

What am i trying to comunicate? That being goth isnt a bad thing, its just a thing

Where do i hope to have it seen? Anywhere i can show it, to anyone who will look
Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #30
Clockwork

Quote:
Like heaps of photos turned into one big image? or a series of photos displayed like a story?
Heaps of images superimposed, collage. That way you could capture all the aspects from industrial to Victorianism. And it's not like we can ever settle on one single definition anyway.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #31
Godslayer Jillian

I'd rather prefer seeing my idea as a photograph of 'The Essence of Goth' than the first idea, no offense.
It's just that the first one, although it had good intentions, is very stereotyped (and this is what Gnet is basically saying, and you'll keep getting stereotypes if you base yourself on The Gothic Bible).
And on this:
Quote:
the fact that theres so much diversity in the culture, means you cant just call a group of people goths because of what they listen to or they way they dress, its just who they are
Au contraire. The only thing that we really have in common is our musical taste. If Goth is not about music, then everyone (like it or not) would be a goth.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #32
MollyMac

The title of this thread makes me think of Emeril laGasse and his "essence".

I can see him bitch-slapping a bat into a skillet

BAM!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #33
edible_eye

Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #34
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
The title of this thread makes me think of Emeril laGasse and his "essence".

I can see him bitch-slapping a bat into a skillet

BAM!

FUCKING LOL!! Holy shit, I'm still laughing!!

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #35
fetischfweek

so that would make alot of goths, not goth, if the music is what makes a goth, then what is the music? what do you class as goth music? ill listen to just about anything from static-x, the offspring, aqua, ill listen to anything, and just out of curiosity, what do pics of venom from spiderman have to do with anything?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #36
edible_eye

Pics of Venom and Spiderman have everything to do with everything.

Thank you.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #37
fetischfweek

do they have anything to do with this thread? is it possible for you to explan exactly why you posted them here and not say, on your profile? or on a spiderman thread?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #38
Gothic.net

Quote:
so that would make alot of goths, not goth, if the music is what makes a goth, then what is the music? what do you class as goth music? ill listen to just about anything from static-x, the offspring, aqua, ill listen to anything, and just out of curiosity, what do pics of venom from spiderman have to do with anything?

I always respect Jillian's thoughts, but I kind of disagree with music being the central cultural core. I think it's a shared esthetic taste. People with that taste commonly enjoy music that they feel meets that esthetic, along with personal styles that meet that esthetic, etc. But It's more of a flavor than a uniform or CD collection, even if the uniform and the music have that flavor. Associating too many character attributes like Gothic people are caring, compassionate, intelligent, heroic, etc. is just kind of wanking though.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #39
fetischfweek

Just thinking about godslayers idea, hows this sound

a man and a woman, both dressed in trenchcoats, looking all beautifull sitting on a park bench relaxing and smiling, while everybody around them is blurred and fast moving

hows that sound? (tries really hard to force thread back on track)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #40
edible_eye

Eddie Brock was a regular joe, the common working man searching for an angle to get his name into the limelight.

Peter Parker wanted the same, however his ethical and moral nature prohibited him from fabricating his journalistic work in order to make headlines.

Eddie Brock felt differently. He had no problem fabricating his reporting ethics. The establishment media, i.e. - newspaper journalism, turned a blind eye to his digression in order to sell papers.

Peter Parker exposed his fraudulent behavior. He is the lone goth in the picture you spoke of in the beginning of your post. And he brought to light the corruption of the masses.

Yeah, yeah... this is a crock of shit but it sounded good in my whiskey-filled head.

Just see Spiderman 3. Oh, and take your picture already so we can get a visual.

Christ.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #41
fetischfweek

see, if ud explained at first i wouldnt have had to keep asking and tut tut patience is a virtue, i cant take a photo if i dont know what im taking it of, and what you said actually explained alot quite nicley, thank you
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #42
edible_eye

You already laid out two different scenarioes. What do you mean you don't know what you're taking a photo of?

You need to tread a little lighter on the opinion side of things before you create.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #43
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net
But It's more of a flavor than a uniform or CD collection, even if the uniform and the music have that flavor.
Of course, Goth keeps being an umbrella term. I do agree almost in its entirety with this.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #44
fetischfweek

i have ideas, not pictures, does that make sense? and ill lay out 5 or 6 scenarioes before i take 1 picture, and often that photo will be an amalgamation of all the ideas, im gonna try and explain how images come to me in my head, and im sorry if i confuse anybody but here goes

i have a photo i want to take in my head, when i first get the idea, im looking at that photo through a waterfall and im just guessing at what it looks like, every idea and every piece of criticism i get, brings me a step closer to seeing through the water, i need this to plan a photo or i cant see it and it doesnt come out right. does this make sense at all? i guess its almost like as an artist you dont just go splashing paint on a canvas and hope it turns into a picture, you plan it out, adjust it, move it, work things through before you even pick up a paint brush
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #45
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
both dressed in trenchcoats
I'd lose the trench coats and add a lot of fishnets. Trench coats will make it seem like very cliché goths. Without them, goths can identify better while it will make babybats realize it's not bright to wear such heavy fabric throughout all the year, and it will give another image to the normal people other than the trite cloaked guy with a whitewashed face and an angry (or alternatively sad) face.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #46
fetischfweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I'd lose the trench coats and add a lot of fishnets. Trench coats will make it seem like very cliché goths. Without them, goths can identify better while it will make babybats realize it's not bright to wear such heavy fabric throughout all the year.
ok i can do that, only reason i said trenchcoats was because were comin up to winter and id rather not have 2 people freeze to death because of one of my photos just had another thought, if i do like a split image, 1 half winter, one half summer, and have the people dressed appropriatly(sp?)?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #47
KontanKarite

How exactly does one capture the essence of goth in one shot?

I'd say your best bet is to take concert pics...

But even then, you're kinda missing it.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #48
fetischfweek

so what your saying kontankarite is its effectivly immpossible to take a photo of the wind? or to catch a sound wave with your hand, or to reach the end of a rainbow?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #49
KontanKarite

Pretty much. Unless I'm missing something.

I'm just saying you asked if you could catch the essence of goth and at the same time, you got many many different answers. Even all these answers couldn't quite capture the essence. But that's the beauty of of it, right? What would be the point in continuing in your art if you perfectly captured an essence? To take a picture of the essence of goth would be like defining it in a perfect sense. It can't be done.

But you can try.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #50
MollyMac

Quote:
so its effectivly immpossible to take a photo of the wind? or to catch a sound wave with your hand, or to reach the end of a rainbow?

You cannot photograph wind, but its effects. Leaves in midair, the bend of trees. You cannot catch a soundwave with your hand but alter it's sine and absorb the wave. You cannot reach the end of a rainbow, you have to wait for it to stop.