Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
xXEducatedSocialiteXx

Banning PDA?

I just received a text from my friend who lives in America.
He goes to a public school and he's just texted me saying that his Head Teacher has banned public displays of affection (PDA).
This includes:
Hugging.
Kissing (On the mouth, the cheek and the hand).
Holding hands.

I just want to know what the Hell that Head teacher is thinking.
Does she not know that hugging actually gets rid of stress?
We have this saying in my group of friends:
"A hug a day keeps the stress away".
I honestly can't believe how fucked up that is.
I really couldn't go a whole day without hugging someone.
xXEducatedSocialiteXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
MegearaErotica

This has been in effect my whole life, even though I go to a public school. Everyone breaks the rules though, and never get in trouble for it.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

It's totally reasonable.
If you need to hug your friends so badly you can't function without it, hug them when you aren't in school.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
xXEducatedSocialiteXx

Even when they're not disrupting classes by doing so?
If they're making out in the hallways, then fair enough.
But what are you supposed to do when your friend is upset and in need of a hug?
Yeah, that bitch of a Head teacher banned that, too.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
TheBloodEternity

That's always been banned in my school, but I'm not in public.
I mean if one friend is crying and someone hugs them and the teacher gets angry, then I could see that as a bit unreasonable.
But I think this is fine.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Necrophagist

They did the same in my school, but no one gives a fuck - even if you kiss.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
jack_the_knife

The only that is really banned at my school is fucking in the toilets. ( yes they have a rule that states that )
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXEducatedSocialiteXx
I really couldn't go a whole day without hugging someone.
Really? Seriously?......I've managed nearly six years without hugging anyone ( properly ) . Good grief.

I do think banning hugging and hand holding is rather extreme. They are pretty innocuous forms of bodily contact after all, and if someone is crying or clearly upset I really don't see why any teacher should have a problem with it.

Banning kissing/couple based PDA in the form of being all over each other like a rash I can understand though.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Jonathan

Human bonding and contact has no place in institutions of learning.

Any speech that is not either a serious question regarding an assignment or an answer to a direct question should be banned as well. Conversations can wait until the pupils have left. Time in between classes should be strictly limited to exchanging texts and arriving early to the next class.

I further advocate measures taken to remove the unnecessary disruptions of blinking and visits to the lavatories, but the added cost on taxpayers might make this suggestion have to wait for introduction at a later time.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
MitsyMayhem

I feel rude (but not enough to keep me from saying this), but what the hell are you complaining about? This is completely reasonable and I doubt the rule means that you can't hold your crying friend.
The fact that you find this even the slightest bit unfair is stupid.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
AgiosOSatanas

my school says it every year at the beginning and they try to intimidate the students at the class meetings about it. people dont give a shit though. and they just give up. people make out in the halls,at lunch,and hell there are people who have had sex in the auditorium.my school doesnt really care about that. but i do remember when i was in middle school how everytime id hug my gf in front of teachers they would try to act intimidating and theyd give me referels for it and detentions and stuff but it really didnt bother me.

Love>Friends>Yourself>Family>School

thats how i view it
AgiosOSatanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I am surprised PDA wasn't banned sooner. It's a common thing. To hug and kiss and be all over each other in public can distract others from their classes and such.

Although...I see nothing wrong with a quick hug, or holding hands. That seems to be going a little too much out there. That's not distracting unless you're holding hands in class....

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Even when they're not disrupting classes by doing so?
If they're making out in the hallways, then fair enough.
But what are you supposed to do when your friend is upset and in need of a hug?
Yeah, that bitch of a Head teacher banned that, too.
Then take it to the bathroom.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

So, PDA can justifiably be banned because... it makes people uncomfortable?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
viscus

Learning be damned, we need absolute and unfettered freedom of expression at all times!

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Dr Nancy

Same rules apply at my school, except for holding hands/hugging.
When there is five-year-olds running around I think its reasonable to keep it G-rated.
Dr Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
MollyMac

Less that it makes people uncomfortable than it is a distraction from the purpose of being in school. Leads to drama. teachers hate that.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #18
Saya

In class it would be a distraction, but what about recess and lunch? Its not like everyone sits down quietly, eats and discusses their studies for the entire time.

If I remember high school correctly we were gossiping and backstabbing more than hugging.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
MollyMac

And in truth, I never had a problem with teh hugging or hand-holding. But i tis more a pre-emptive strike against the full on kiss/make-out shit. As talk of PDA creates a vagarity in terms of what is acceptable and what is awkward, they just draw a line through it all to eliminate debate
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #20
xXEducatedSocialiteXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
So, PDA can justifiably be banned because... it makes people uncomfortable?
When I see people hug, it doesn't make me uncomfortable.
Nor does someone holding hands with someone else.
Seriously.
Fair enough that it be banned during class, but at break time and lunch time too?
I'm not too bothered about the whole kissing thing, but banning hugging, holding hands and kissing someone on the cheek, in my opinion, is too harsh.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
When I see people hug, it doesn't make me uncomfortable.
Nor does someone holding hands with someone else.
Seriously.
Fair enough that it be banned during class, but at break time and lunch time too?
I'm not too bothered about the whole kissing thing, but banning hugging, holding hands and kissing someone on the cheek, in my opinion, is too harsh.
And when you're paying property taxes to the school, maybe someone will give a shit about your opinion.

It doesn't matter if YOU don't feel uncomfortable. It's likely other students do.
Also, as mentioned before, it's because if you're allowed to hug and kiss on the cheek, why not just a little kiss on the lips? Why not making out?
It's better to just ban it all, and who cares?

You aren't there to socialize, you're there to learn.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
And when you're paying property taxes to the school, maybe someone will give a shit about your opinion.
I pay taxes. Are they giving a shit about my opinion? I was never asked if I mind PDA in my local high schools.
Quote:
It doesn't matter if YOU don't feel uncomfortable. It's likely other students do.
Other students feel uncomfortable with homosexuality. Therefore I propose a don't ask don't tell policy in schools.
Quote:
Also, as mentioned before, it's because if you're allowed to hug and kiss on the cheek, why not just a little kiss on the lips? Why not making out?
It's better to just ban it all, and who cares?
Yeah, a slippery slope argument is really valid; particularly when all parts of it are entirely arbitrary to detest.
Quote:
You aren't there to socialize, you're there to learn.
Yeah ,welcome to industrialism! The ideas of the development of the individual have been atomized into one sole variable: learning, learning and learning!
It's not about you becoming a part of the society, it's about you receiving enough information to get a job.
Ophelia, you do realize that's not even remotely true?
Schools are NOT just for learning and schools are NOT CREATED just for learning.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I pay taxes. Are they giving a shit about my opinion? I was never asked if I mind PDA in my local high schools.
No, but you have every right to be at meetings where this type of thing is discussed.
Quote:
Other students feel uncomfortable with homosexuality. Therefore I propose a don't ask don't tell policy in schools.
I wouldn't have a problem with that.
[quote=Godslayer Jillian]
Yeah, a slippery slope argument is really valid; particularly when all parts of it are entirely arbitrary to detest.[quote=Godslayer Jillian]
It definitely is valid, because it happens in high schools all the time. Particularly with this type of thing.
Quote:
Yeah ,welcome to industrialism! The ideas of the development of the individual have been atomized into one sole variable: learning, learning and learning!
It's not about you becoming a part of the society, it's about you receiving enough information to get a job.
Schools are NOT just for learning and schools are NOT CREATED just for learning.
I never took it to that extreme and you know it.
School is to make friends and learn about human interaction, sure, but it's not a fashion show, and it is not a place for you to show everyone who you're currently "going out with."

Lastly, I personally don't think it would be a problem to not ban hugging and other small PDA, if the students would leave it at that. We both know high school students can't handle that.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #24
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Yeah, a slippery slope argument is really valid; particularly when all parts of it are entirely arbitrary to detest.
You pretty much took the words I was about to type responding to her. Good job.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
Solumina

I have never seen a no hug policy that is strictly enforced, they are generally put in place to prevent couples from snuggling and such, I can't imagine a teacher getting you in trouble for comforting a clearly distressed friend. Also those rules are put in place for two reasons: to keep the school environment focused on learning and to prevent kids in couples from becoming unhealthily attached to each other (not to prevent socialization in general but to encourage friendly socialization instead of dependency on a single person)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote