Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Versus

I just like to hear myself talk.

I was going to post this in the general section, but I've decided that I'm just bitching when I share this.

Growing up, I was under the impression that I had it pretty hard. My mother was a single working parent without any education. We lived in a trailer located in kind of a bad neighborhood. Looking at my friends, or pretty much everyone I knew, I became envious that I didn't have so many cool toys, or have such amazing meals everyday, or new clothes every few months, or any awesome pets. I guess you could say this kind of created a rift between us and I started to resent her. I gradually became very angry and rebellious to the point where I refused to do anything to help her. I ditched school, and by my junior year I had an 80% absentee rate. I think I had maybe 150 credits out of 800 or so needed to graduate. When I was 17, I took off with the clothes on my back to go find somewhere to live. I didn't really succeed, but I guess I was able to survive on my own bouncing from job to job and room to room for a little less then 2 years.

Since then, I've realized that I was being a cunt and have apologized profusely to her on several occasions. She busted her ass every day just to keep me fed and a roof over my head, and because of her I never went without a meal and a place to sleep until I left. She never went back to drugs since she found out she was pregnant, and she never did a thing for herself before she gave to me. And like a spoiled child, I took everything she could give without a hint of appreciation or compensation. Frankly, I'm surprised she didn't beat the shit out of me considering the kind of life she had before I was born. She just never gave up, no matter how hard it was for her.

The point I want to talk about is a common attitude that I encounter in people. It's the kind that makes a person think that the world owes them everything, or that the world should just be given to them. Most of us live in a time and place when everything we need is so easy to get, and it has spoiled a lot of people. They've become alienated to hardships and accustomed to safety and security. It bothers me that a lot of my generation feels they don't have to work for anything, like they have a physical allergy to labor... a mental aversion to a moment without comfort. I've seen people completely breakdown mentally in the absence of a car, electricity, money, a cellphone... and honestly, it's disgusting to me. I'm afraid to imagine how they would cope without shit we actually need, like food and water, when they are seemingly incapable of working a little to get it.

It's especially frightening to see it in the army when I look to my left and right. Since my deployment, a lot of people in my unit have either left the military or moved to different units, so we've had to fill the ranks with new guys without any experience. I love to teach people things, but it makes me absolutely livid to see people bitch and moan or stop caring all together when their fucking job asks them to be uncomfortable or do dumb shit... or just work at all.

I don't really want to say anymore about that because I would have to put it into perspective, and that would take more time then I have to rant right now. Ask me later if you're curious. Moving on.

I don't know. I guess the thing is is that: I really try to improve my tolerance in the face of adversity in every facet of my life so I can deal when shit is legitimately bad. Like, I do extremely unnecessary and stupid shit like take the stairs instead of the elevator, run to the store, get dressed in the dark, and I feel that, while I'm better for it (however minutely), it doesn't matter because sometimes people don't look like they will grow up from how I was as a child.

I understand that I can be overly harsh about it. Part of the reason my marriage crumbled was that I took this attitude of "man the fuck up" home with me and treated my wife like all of her concerns, worries, doubts, and fears were illegitimate and childish. I continue to work towards changing how I think about other people's plights (remember the other thread I started asking about this?), but it's difficult for me to not be selfish right now.

It's just a general unwillingness to carry on or improve when things are harder then normal, as well as a selfishness expressed in a prolonged ignorance that people, have in fact, had it much worse then any of us could imagine. I really have a hard time writing this because I know that I'm bitching, and I know I'm not the only one here who has felt this way. I know it in that everybody slams the stupid emo kids that share their inane, bullshit simple life here and expect to get sympathy. This is a moment of weakness that I'm allowing myself to express because I am considerate of that. Earlier, I was going to bitch about my job in the rant thread, but I saw PJ's post and realized how trite it would be for me to post after that. But I can't be tough or on guard all the time.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Versus

Also, before I forget. A video about depussification. It's long, but I enjoyed it.

Also. I'm really drunk.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Fruitbat

V - we are all shitheads at 17. We test our parents, pushing them and ourselves to the limits.

Your rant is just as valid as PJ's.

I have to go. I'll try and get back later. Don't be so hard on yourself.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
KontanKarite

From one drunk guy to another; Dude, I don't think anyone is gonna slam you for opening up. Opening Up is more of a reflection of strength instead of weakness and dismissing it as an emo rant does this a disservice. You see cat, there is a huge fucking rift between those that have always had and don't know what it is to work a bit for a little bit and those that have matured enough to endure in the most base of conditions. Now I'm not saying you've been through all the grades when it comes to the school of hard knocks, but I highly doubt anyone is gonna call you an emo pussy for this shit. That's just asinine, bro.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Versus

I wasn't so much worried about any dismissal of my rant as I was embarrassed to be bitching about bitching.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Murder.Of.Crows

We all need to bitch sometimes. Some more than others, but it keeps us sane, and enables us to look at things in different perspective, than in our previous years. I suggest pour a glass of scotch, sit back, light a cigarette and listen to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-g...eature=related
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
theact

Its a good thing that you can understand how you have changed as a person, and how this will effect your actions.
I used to be a dick like this, basically lazy. I still love sleep, but at least now when I'm asked to do something I'll do it, and worry about winging later. I put this down to having to join the RAN for a year to pay my way through uni. Taught me a much better work ethic, and not to whine. Taught be that sometimes you have no choice but to do what needs to be done, and that complaining about it or trying to get out of it only makes it worse. This also taught me to appreciate my free time more.
theact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
We all need to bitch sometimes. Some more than others, but it keeps us sane, and enables us to look at things in different perspective, than in our previous years.
"Bitching keeps us sane"

Damn it, marry me.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Onyx_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe View Post
"Bitching keeps us sane"

Damn it, marry me.

Um...I don't think he will, unless I'm missing something(which I probably am, knowing me), like sarcasm or symbolism......of some sort???????????
Onyx_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe View Post
"Bitching keeps us sane"

Damn it, marry me.
Fuck yes! What took you so long to ask?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Onyx_Rose

.....but I was apparently mistaken....

, oooooh, so does that mean there's going to be a wedding?????
'Cause I really don't mind being a witness....well, that's if I'm invited

.....Which I'm probably not......
Onyx_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Fuck yes! What took you so long to ask?
Herpes and procrasination.

Mostly, herpes.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
6SixSick

what generation are you versus? that doesn't wanna work?
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Versus

I'm 23 years old. Call that whatever generation you want.

And I didn't mean exclusively "employment in a literal sense," if that's what you mean when you say "work."

A better way for me to express is it the type of people who mostly aren't pro-active when they want or need something.

I feel it's a common characteristic in adults that are close to my age.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

And I didn't mean exclusively "employment in a literal sense," if that's what you mean when you say "work."

A better way for me to express is it the type of people who mostly aren't pro-active when they want or need something.

I see. Like a kind of aspirational apathy.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #16
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

I think your age would make you a y-generation.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #17
Saya

I hate the term Generation Y. We don't have to ride on Generation X's coattails.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #18
Murder.Of.Crows

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but what is this generation talk of which you speak?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #19
Saya

Generation X was the generation born after the baby boom of the 50s, but ended in the early eighties, late seventies. Our generation has been called Generation Y and it drives me insane.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
Fruitbat

Saya - I agree completely. The generation after you will be the z-gen and then what happens? we have the AA-gen?

Yet another label that is just that - a label that is meant to encompass all the beliefs that people born at a particular time must adhere to (for some stupid reason).

Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Solumina

Some people do refer to us as gen-why due to the frequent apathy, still kind of riding on gen-x's coattails but at least it kind of fits.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #22
6SixSick

I thought Generation X was in the nineties
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcud View Post
The key word is "Generation."
Yeah I was totally wrong, although there was a comic book group based on the x men called generaation X that started in the 90s, so that's probably where I went wrong.
How sad (*^_^*)