Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #101
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Trust me it's a swede. I made lanterns out of them at halloween when I was a kid. They don't taste bad either if you do them right.
We call them turnips, and I've only ever had them boiled. When Mom does a turkey dinner she punishes my vegetarianism and now veganism with only giving me boiled swedes, carrots and potatoes. BOILED. If I'm lucky there'll be beets and cranberry sauce to make up for the complete lack of flavour.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #102
Solumina

So then turnips and swedes are just different names for the same thing?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #103
Duane

Gah! I need to lift weights more often!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #104
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Don't even get me started on the hatred of fat. I've always been fat since I was a child. I don't look at my stomach in any mirror and won't touch it unless I have no choice. I don't allow anyone else to see or touch it either.

I've joiined slimming clubs but I find the plans complicated and hate the group clapping and all that shit. Really not my thing.

I'm just radically reducing my portion sizes, refusing to allow my parents to serve out food ( my father cannot grasp the concept of a small portion in any way shape or form ) and I go jogging every other day. I also do sit ups and press ups ( I have little hope that the press ups will do anything for my tits but I'll keep doing them anyway ) and stretches. I don't eat betwen meals, or if really have to then it's fruit.

You have to burn more calories than you consume basically.

And I've still only lost 7lbs in a month after all that
Actually, snacking between meals is good for you, so long as it's healthy.
Eating small portions often speeds up your metabolism.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #105
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
So then turnips and swedes are just different names for the same thing?
Not really, this is an actual turnip, and apparently swedes are called swedes because another name for them is "Swedish turnips". They're related but not the exact same thing. I wonder if they taste the same?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #106
viscus

I lost about 30 lbs. on the move-to-Japan diet.

Yeah, I know, that's totally not helpful. :-P

Things you might try: switch to a bicycle commute, terrain, weather, and distance permitting. Eat smaller portions, avoid foods and drinks with a lot of refined sugar. If you work in an office, get up and walk around periodically, don't sit for hours on end.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #107
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Actually, snacking between meals is good for you, so long as it's healthy.
Eating small portions often speeds up your metabolism.

I know. But with my job ( busy warehouse ) , I only get 3 set breaks a day at 10, 1 and 3 so I'm not able to even have healthy snacks between those times .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #108
Tam Li Hua

viscus: Heh heh. Man, I'd -LOVE- to move to Japan! But, I've got a husband now who's not so keen on the whole "moving to another country" idea. When I was in China, just walking up and down hills and eating mostly veggies and rice kept my weight in check, I think.

I try to get up and walk around periodically, simply because I can't stand sitting for hours on end. Still, it's tempting to fill the down time with snacking on bad stuff. [Oh, how I -do- love a snack of potato chips and Coke!]

I've discovered that another downfall for me being in the South is premade sweet tea. I don't know if it's better or worse than Coke, but I -do- love it so!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #109
Solumina

Most of the time it is worse, some places go a bit lighter on the sugar but the majority have more sugars than cola.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #110
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
viscus: Heh heh. Man, I'd -LOVE- to move to Japan! But, I've got a husband now who's not so keen on the whole "moving to another country" idea. When I was in China, just walking up and down hills and eating mostly veggies and rice kept my weight in check, I think.

I try to get up and walk around periodically, simply because I can't stand sitting for hours on end. Still, it's tempting to fill the down time with snacking on bad stuff. [Oh, how I -do- love a snack of potato chips and Coke!]

I've discovered that another downfall for me being in the South is premade sweet tea. I don't know if it's better or worse than Coke, but I -do- love it so!
Christ, Tam, just fucking drink water.

(and about China. It sucks, but they only eat rice and vegetables, so do that. Stop eating chips and stop drinking Coke.)
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #111
Cicero

It really worries me how many people 'don't like' water (not myself included, I love the stuff). As the most important substance to our bodies it's pretty scary one's tastebuds can get so hooked on sugar that they can't enjoy it anymore.

Just another way in which modern Western diets are basically killing us.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #112
Solumina

I don't like the water here but I love it back home, here it tastes like chemicals (then again I grew up with some pretty awesome well water so I'm a bit spoiled). I don't have a problem drinking it once it has been filtered but I prefer making iced peppermint tea as it covers any chemical aftertaste
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #113
Necrophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
It really worries me how many people 'don't like' water (not myself included, I love the stuff). As the most important substance to our bodies it's pretty scary one's tastebuds can get so hooked on sugar that they can't enjoy it anymore.

Just another way in which modern Western diets are basically killing us.
Yeah! Death to the West!

I was wondering, is squash fine?

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #114
Duane

I should have kept weightlifting, I'm having a bit of trouble with the 30's when I use to warm up with those, and move on with the 40's. I'll be surprised if I can still bench press 125 pounds.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #115
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Christ, Tam, just fucking drink water.

(and about China. It sucks, but they only eat rice and vegetables, so do that. Stop eating chips and stop drinking Coke.)
Well, most of the time they do, but they still had plenty of potato chips, colas, and various other American-like snacks that kept me a bit unhealthy. In my China hometown, they even had a pizza joint [not Pizza Hut] that wasn't half-bad.

I'm doing my best to cut out both. The chips are easier to cut out, but I have a harder problem with the Coke. I'm doing good to limit myself to just one can a day.

I guess you could say that it's an emotional addiction as well, so it's a bit harder to kick.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #116
Duane

At first I thought it was going to be difficult to cu back on the soda, it isn't. For me, the hard part is getting into the habit of working out, and shit.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #117
Tam Li Hua

Yeah. I have to admit, getting my body in motion is a lot harder than I thought it would be. x_x;;;

Which reminds me that it's time to do some treadmillin'. WOOOO!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #118
PortraitOfSanity

I lost all my weight when I was homeless and wandering the country. I don't recommend it, but it does work!

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #119
tekajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I lost all my weight when I was homeless and wandering the country. I don't recommend it, but it does work!
Yeah, i dropped alot once like that. My skaterpunk buddy and i was living off of one big bean burrito a day...and a fountain drink....at least we did have random empty apartments to live in.

Such fun.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #120
Duane

Yay, I lost a pound...
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #121
viscus

I can sympathize with the filling idle time in the office with snacking. I didn't help that they subsidized the vending machines so that everything was only $0.25 each.

Chinese only eat rice and vegetables? That's strange, most of the ones I've met seem to be pretty fond of meat, pork especially. Japanese cooking is all as healthy as you might think, either. A lot of dishes are high in salt, and fatty pork slices are popular toppings for a variety of things.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #122
honeythorn

I weighed myself this morning and I am offically 1 stone lighter (14lbs) The jogwalking is paying off a little it seems. I don't look any different though except I seem to have lost half a chin under my jaw. Slightly less round when I look straight on.

I think I mentioned this in randomness but I'll shove it here as well. It's a pretty low fat spread I make for toast or a small sandwich.

Crab meat ( I buy 4-5 fresh cooked crab claws and remove the flesh with a lobster pick and brute force )

Finely diced cucumber with the watery centre removed

A little finely diced onion

A little salt & pepper

3 squirts low fat salad cream ( you could always use low fat mayo or leave out the dressing completely, but I find some sort of salad cream or mayo binds everything together and keeps it on your toast/sarnie without dropping off so easily)

Mix that lot in a dish and consume within 2 days ( keep it in the fridge of course )

Obviously more veg could be added such as fine grated carrot, lettuce, tomato ect.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #123
Underwater Ophelia

Good job, Honeythorn.
14lbs is nothing to scoff at.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #124
honeythorn

I'm mildly pleased It's more than I lost when I was doing the slimming world diet club/meetings. I only lost half a stone on their plan so I don't think I'm doing too badly at the moment.

I'd like to lose another 3-4 stone by the end of October. I've always wanted a corset and by the gods I AM going to bloody get into one for Whitby and make an attempt at looking reasonable in it.

And by this time next year I want to have lost the entire 8 stone I need to get rid of.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #125
Duane

14 pounds is a good start.