Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
AshleyO

Assassin's Creed 3

I really want to like this game and despite my trepidation, I will end up playing it so that I can see how it all wraps up with Desmond.

But damn. Why did they pick the American Revolution? I just feel like it's so... predictable and typical and really, it's not the kind of revolution that I'd care to look into.

Washington is still a good guy and I'm almost certain that they wont have Native American leaders being represented properly and will probably be bad guys. I get the feeling this can get pretty offensive without trying very hard.

Edit: WHAT THE ACTUAL REAL FUCK? Why would a Mohican fight for the independence of the colonists?!

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
AshleyO

Holy shit. So someone brings up the very obvious and stupid racism that will be in AC3 and what do we get? White boys saying they're "a person of the world" as if because he has no cultural identity, therefore cultures don't exist or aren't important anymore.

...I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Versus

From what I have seen, Assassin's Creed has done a good job thus far.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Saya

I still love Assassin's Creed the first, and I think its cool you played as a Muslim on the wrong side of the Templar's mood. Not so crazy about the second one, I think I'm one of the few who love Altair. I agree though that I'd rather not see the revolutionary war. Unless they took a really controversial angle, like having a black Assassin who has to kill both British and colonist slavers.

And the Mohicans did fight the British during the Revolutionary War. And in return we royally screwed them over.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Versus

Yeah, I liked the first character better, even though he was a bit less developed. But in general I haven't really noticed anything wrong with it in that way. Maybe that's just me.

That being said, Assassin's Creed game play is fucking boring after a little bit.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Saya

Yeah but I'm the type of gal who loves being sneaky sneaky.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I still love Assassin's Creed the first, and I think its cool you played as a Muslim on the wrong side of the Templar's mood. Not so crazy about the second one, I think I'm one of the few who love Altair. I agree though that I'd rather not see the revolutionary war. Unless they took a really controversial angle, like having a black Assassin who has to kill both British and colonist slavers.

And the Mohicans did fight the British during the Revolutionary War. And in return we royally screwed them over.

Hmm... TIL. I'll have to reserve my initial opinion then. I just found it hard to believe that they would.

Also, in Skyrim Dawnguard, I made an assassin character like AC. Scaled Armor plus a mage hood, crossbow, bow, and a daggar. It's wicked.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Also, in Skyrim Dawnguard, I made an assassin character like AC. Scaled Armor plus a mage hood, crossbow, bow, and a daggar. It's wicked.
From Oblivion,

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Saya

I started out with a Dark Elf but I made a Khajit just to see what city guards would say (since Nords are racist and won't let Khajits in the city), but she's so sneaky and awesome I made her a sneaky witch-theif with awesome illusion magic and quiet casting.

Although I really like just picking enemies off by shooting at them from a distance.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Versus

But not ALL Nords are racist..

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
AshleyO

I made a Kahjiit. He punches things.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
AshleyO

I managed to get the game at a severe discount (good thing).

I was afraid that the game would go places that would make me roll my eyes so hard it hurts. 1776 is a boring fucking chore about getting all fucking uppity about taxes and implying that taxes is theft and spending a big portion of the time wrecking tea boxes and beating up tax collectors. Fuck me. There is just this one part of the game that is dull as dish water.

Connor is pretty cool for like... the first half of the game. He's pretty Native as to the extent of my knowledge of natives go (admittedly, not a lot) and I appreciated that when he's with his native tribe, you only see him speak in that language. That's cool.

But somehow... I don't know how the hell they managed to do this; but as soon as Connor dons the assassin cowl, he becomes a fucking 13 stars and stripes flag waving white man. Seriously... I took over a Templar fort, lowered the British flag and hoisted up the American flag and all the red coats were replaced by blue coats. I basically ended up killing every single blue coat in the fort.

You can't kill civilians in this game. Which is probably a good thing because if I could kill EVERYONE in this game, I would probably turn Boston into a ghost town because fuck these white invaders and their European drama dragging Connor's people and the natives into their shit.

At LEAST the game is nice enough to let me kill red and blue coats.

And the fucking revolution... What revolution? At least in this game; the British settlers are talking about their rights being abused and being overtaxed (which apparently was due to the fact that the crown was doing what it could to keep the French from just wrecking the god damned colonies outright and that shit wasn't cheap and now the crown is all like, YO MAN. We're keeping the French from fucking up your shit and it's time to pay your fair share.) which means they actually HAVE rights under the crown to fucking begin with and not ONCE have I yet to see any agency from a worker. All I've seen is some petite bourgeois shop keeper get pissed off from the tax collectors taking his shit because he wont pay his taxes and he goes on a rampage. I dunno if I'm just learning a lesson or if I'm too god damned cynical to just over look this bullshit to enjoy the game. Seriously... fuck ALL these assholes. Shit's fucked up, yo.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Versus

I thought it was strange that Assassin's Creed has had a lot of free running thus far and the American colonies doesn't seem like a good setting for that.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
AshleyO

Yeah, it really isn't a good setting.

This game is just so... indecisive. At one moment, you really like what they do with the Connor character and what his motivations are and he seems a whole lot like what you would expect a militant Mohican would be like, and then the next he's some hardcore patriotic white dude. It's like the game can't make up its mind about who this guy is.

Luckily, the game is making the players think about that part of history from a better lens than what we've learned in the history books. There are several characters with a much less romanticized view of the American Revolution and freely call out the hypocrisy of the founding fathers and other social problems at that time such as slavery.

But the game doesn't exactly depict the founding fathers in rose colored lighting, which I appreciate. No. These Sons of Liberty are total privileged assholes and there are times when one actually agrees with the Templars at certain times.

There are SOME cringe worthy parts of the game as we all knew there would be; but for the most part, you could tell that the writers did their best to be as historically neutral as possible despite their limited POV about it.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Versus

But do you get a tomahawk?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
But do you get a tomahawk?
Yes you do. And the killing with a tomahawk is pretty rad.

The naval battles are pretty fun in a weird sort of Twisted Metal sort of way... you know; with boats and cannons and shit.