Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
weirdgirl

Hi everyone

Another new person here and kind of new to goth as well. That's it, I guess.
weirdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
DepthsofSpace

Welcome! New to Goth you say? That is excellent. This site has a great amount of references on here to help you learn more about the subculture and there are friendly people here that will help you out.

What sort of music do you listen to? I'm sure I can introduce you to some bands you will enjoy.

(there's a list of questions in the forum sticky that you can fill out as well, helps us learn a bit about you)

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
weirdgirl

I listen to mostly 80s New Wave and 80s Italo/Euro Disco and some Rock.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Lord Whiskerton

Welcome to the boards, madam! Would you like to fill out the questionnaire we have here so that we may know a bit more about you?

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
DepthsofSpace

Okay, you are a keeper.. ^.^

Concerning New Wave.. any particular bands? I'm partial to The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Cars, New Order and even a bit of the Pet Shop Boys myself.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
weirdgirl

Ok, here's that survey, since for some reason I'm shy tonight.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I used to be a student, but unfortunately I had to drop out, and I'm unemployed. In my spare time I listen to music, play old school video games, write, read random books and watch old movies.

2. Where are you from?

Right now I live in California, but I'm moving back to Wisconsin, where I was born and grew up.

3. Who is your favorite author?

I don't really have one.

4. What are your favorite films?

Any old movies, even silent ones! My favorite one is probably Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Something that would realllllllyyyyy freak everyone out

6. At your funeral?

The same!

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Hmmm, I don't know. I have so many answers, but can't think of even one right now. Typical. No, wait, got one: having a heart attack after attempting to beat Donkey Kong for two months straight. Or getting hit in the face by Matthew Lesko with one of his books and falling down on the concrete then my skull cracks open and my brain and some blood spills out of it.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Black leather on the outside with a glittery purple inside

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

I don't have one, all my clothes suck

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Being able to act like a kid and get away with it

11. What's your favorite band?

Don't have one!

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

I completed only one year of college. My major was foreign languages but I switched to music.

13. Why did you join?

To learn more about Goth culture

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Female!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
DRM

Why did you have to drop out?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
weirdgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace View Post
Okay, you are a keeper.. ^.^

Concerning New Wave.. any particular bands? I'm partial to The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Cars, New Order and even a bit of the Pet Shop Boys myself.
I listen to all of those band you mentioned, except The Cars. Some of the other bands I listen to are Heaven 17, The Human League, Duran Duran, Falco, and even some from Europe like Videosex and Indochine!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
weirdgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Why did you have to drop out?
Because I had to move back to Wisconsin due to some financial issues here.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdgirl View Post
Hmmm, I don't know. I have so many answers, but can't think of even one right now. Typical. No, wait, got one: having a heart attack after attempting to beat Donkey Kong for two months straight. Or getting hit in the face by Matthew Lesko with one of his books and falling down on the concrete then my skull cracks open and my brain and some blood spills out of it.

I gotta lay off the cartoons.

I see you like old movies, and from what I can tell old bad movies. MST3K fan?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
I listen to all of those band you mentioned, except The Cars. Some of the other bands I listen to are Heaven 17, The Human League, Duran Duran, Falco, and even some from Europe like Videosex and Indochine!
I have heard some of Duran Duran and liked it.. I'll make a note to look up the other bands later on. I love listening to new things. =)

And I understand the whole financial thing with school. I ended up joining the Navy to finish up my degree, but hey, I should be able to start work on my doctorate once I finish my first tour.

Enjoy the forums!

(BTW, being murdered by Matthew Lesko would be fuckin' epic.)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
weirdgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post

I gotta lay off the cartoons.

I see you like old movies, and from what I can tell old bad movies. MST3K fan?
lol! Don't remind me of that game, I might be tempted to stay up until 5 in the morning just to beat one level!

I used to watch MST3K as a kid, but I don't anymore I should find some episodes on YouTube
Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
weirdgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace View Post
I have heard some of Duran Duran and liked it.. I'll make a note to look up the other bands later on. I love listening to new things. =)

And I understand the whole financial thing with school. I ended up joining the Navy to finish up my degree, but hey, I should be able to start work on my doctorate once I finish my first tour.

Enjoy the forums!

(BTW, being murdered by Matthew Lesko would be fuckin' epic.)
Oh man, I could show you a bunch of different 80s music! Especially if you don't mind if some of it is not in English!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
Igor

Greetings, Weirdgirl!

Weird bit of music trivia, the correct term for New Wave is New Romantic. The idea was to depart from the acid rock of the '70s and return to the crooning, showmanship of the big band era. Anyhow, I also love the old school '80s bands. If you like Duran Duran, then maybe you might be interested in a side project they did called Arcadia. They dyed their hair black and, well, gothed it up a bit. Their album is a nice gateway from new Romantic to Goth as it straddles the line between.

Also, sounds like you may have the potential to be a perky or candy goth. Are you happy a lot, exuberant, vivacious? Just because you're goth does not mean you have to be miserable. That is a gross misconception.

Anyhow, hello.
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
weirdgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
Weird bit of music trivia, the correct term for New Wave is New Romantic. The idea was to depart from the acid rock of the '70s and return to the crooning, showmanship of the big band era. Anyhow, I also love the old school '80s bands. If you like Duran Duran, then maybe you might be interested in a side project they did called Arcadia. They dyed their hair black and, well, gothed it up a bit. Their album is a nice gateway from new Romantic to Goth as it straddles the line between.

Also, sounds like you may have the potential to be a perky or candy goth. Are you happy a lot, exuberant, vivacious? Just because you're goth does not mean you have to be miserable. That is a gross misconception.

Anyhow, hello.
I thought New Wave and New Romantic were two different genres, but just closely related. I've heard of Arcardia and have their album, it was ok. I am trying to be perky/glitter goth because it suits me the best, but I tried to ask for some fashion tips because I couldn't find any online, but the people who replyed to my post just accused me of labeling myself. How lovely.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
Saya

Quote:
lol! Don't remind me of that game, I might be tempted to stay up until 5 in the morning just to beat one level!

I used to watch MST3K as a kid, but I don't anymore I should find some episodes on YouTube

Say no more, say no more.

As for the glittery goth thing, don't take it personally, its just that while I haven't run into it for a long time, people would just think of all these different types of goths and its just weird and kinda sad to put yourself in a tiny box like that, although I'm sure thats not what you meant to do. I think the best advice given was just do what you want to do ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote