Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
CptSternn

Scotland

As many of us in Europe know, Scotland is currently working towards independence from britian. Like N. Ireland, they have a plan to vote the english out. This isn't new by any means - ever since england invaded centuries ago they have been fighting for freedom. Only now, it looks like a majority of the people are actually on board with the idea, and very influential figures are now supporting the idea as well. For example, this letter from the LA Times the other day...

The Scots show their true colors

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,5160222.story

Sean Connery says that Scotland's independence day may be closer than ever.

By Sean Connery
April 5, 2008

There are few more cherished American ideals than independence. As we prepare to celebrate Tartan Day, established as April 6 by a U.S. Senate resolution in 1998 to commemorate one of the inspirations for the Declaration of Independence -- Scotland's Declaration of Arbroath -- it is as good a time as any to tell the uniquely Scottish story of independence.

In 1320, Scots penned the Declaration of Arbroath. In lines that would echo through the ages, they wrote, "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honors that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Many Americans are familiar with that part of the story -- of the patriot William Wallace and the Scots who stood up for independence. What is understandably less familiar is that in 1707, a group of Scottish noblemen sold Scotland's independence and joined with England to become the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

It wasn't a popular move. In fact, Daniel Defoe wrote that "for every Scot in favor, 99 is against."

So it is not surprising that some people have been working ever since to change it.

More interesting than the past, though, is the national conversation going on in Scotland now. What is so special about it is that the world has an example of a completely democratic process in which the people are considering their future, and in which their voice will be the final word.

In 1997, Scots spoke loudly when they voted to reinstate their Parliament. When Scottish National Party President Winifred Ewing was able to say, "The Scots Parliament, adjourned on 25th March 1707, is hereby reconvened," she touched hearts across the country.

The Scottish Parliament has authority for health, education, courts and the environment. The British Parliament retains control over most taxes and foreign affairs.

The question now is, what next? The current Scottish government is the first one in modern times that wants to see Scotland reclaim its independence.

The best part of this debate is that it is based on ideas, not ethnicity. Conversations about the best future for the country are happening in the Scottish Parliament and in homes and workplaces across the country.

The Scottish government wants Scotland and England to become independent and equal nations, with the queen and her successors continuing as the common head of state of both -- similar to what happened in Canada and Australia in the 20th century. In other words, we would move toward becoming united kingdoms, rather than the United Kingdom.

Debating their constitutional future does not stop Scots from contributing to today's important international issues. This week, the Scottish government, with the support of the National Geographic Society, announced the Saltire Prize -- a $20-million award for innovation in renewable energy -- as a challenge to the world's scientists. The message that Scotland is open for business came across clearly this week as Scotland dropped its business taxes to be even more internationally competitive. And you might not think Scotland when you think football, but today, the New York Giants' own Greenock-born Lawrence Tynes will be leading the Tartan Day parade down 6th Avenue.

Independence is something Americans inherently understand. My whole adult life, I have waited and worked for the day that Scots are able to decide democratically if they wish to rejoin the community of nations as an independent and equal member. A recent poll showed that two-thirds of Scots would welcome that opportunity under certain circumstances.

I believe that day -- Scotland's independence day -- is closer than ever.

I'm a big supporter of Scottish independence. Its good to see an informed view of such a well respected man.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Pye

I wish them all the luck with it. Just please leave your English hatred crap out of it. I find it really annoying. It's hardly anything like Northern Ireland.
Pye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Destituxe

I wouldn't mind seeing Scotland on its own for once.
Destituxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destituxe
I wouldn't mind seeing Scotland on its own for once.

Scotland has been on its own for quite a lot of the time, over the years, you may find.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
dabbadmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn

I'm a big supporter of Scottish independence. Its good to see an informed view of such a well respected man.
It was a very interesting read. I'm definately a supporter too, for both Scotland and Ireland independence. We've been doing a lot on this in history in past years.

Thanks for the link.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye
I wish them all the luck with it. Just please leave your English hatred crap out of it. I find it really annoying. It's hardly anything like Northern Ireland.
Really, it's less "English hatred crap" than "English paranoia crap"... everyone constantly seems to think England is out to get us.
(I'm Scottish, I just happen to be particularly apathetic about independence.)
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
medbh4805

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Really, it's less "English hatred crap" than "English paranoia crap"... everyone constantly seems to think England is out to get us.
(I'm Scottish, I just happen to be particularly apathetic about independence.)
I've grown more and more apathetic towards a united Ireland too. I'm a Catholic living in NI, and the idea that we're still being "oppressed" is frankly ridiculous.
I always think of the bit in Life of Brian when they talk about "what have the Romans ever done for us?" There are actually benefits to Ireland being part of the UK, such as the NHS.
medbh4805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Even some English people I've talked to seem to think England is out to get them...which is why they want to leave the country. Ironically enough, I wouldn't mind getting into the UK in general, if even just to see what it's like for a little while. Anyhow, yay Scotland! All for Scottish independence, even if I am a bloody yank whose opinion doesn't really affect the matter.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
JCC

Sean Connery is a fucking cunt.

But I still support independence.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

Fucking Brits...

I really doubt Scotland will gain independence any time soon, not with the way the U.S is so closely allied with the Brits.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
MegearaErotica

Now I see why everyone was throwing flames at me in the other boards... *Stop drop and roll,stop drop and roll*
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote