Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Despanan

Aggressive Male Nudity

We open on Wed.

You can buy your tickets here.

And if you're wondering about my choice of this thread's title here's an interview I did on the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Versus

Oh. I was hoping for actual male nudity.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Despanan

Come out to the show. It will be there.
Quote:
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Versus

I have to settle with turning the light off in the shower. :/

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Versus

Honestly though it sounds cool. And of course I could never get to NYC to see.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Honestly though it sounds cool. And of course I could never get to NYC to see.
Thanks. I'm really stoked about it - this has been 5 years in the making. I was still hiking the trail when I first joined Gothic.net.

I've gotten an offer to publish the script so hopefully that will pan out.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Despanan

1st review is in!:

http://www.nytheatre.com/Review/mart...alachian-trail

Quote:
North to Maine is an epic play about an epic journey, from Virginia to Maine along the Appalachian Trail. Playwright Brenton Lengel is himself a "2,000 miler," having completed the entire length of the Trail from 2006 to 2008, and the people he encountered and the wisdom he acquired as he hiked and climbed and walked have inspired a stunning and emotionally involving work of theater. This world premiere is presented by State of Play Productions and is directed with tremendous skill and acuity by Eric Parness.

The play centers around Adam, a young man who tells us right from the outset that he is searching for adventure in his life; that's why he asked his father to drop him off at the side of the highway near Rockfish Gap, Virginia, where he literally hits the trail, bound for its northern terminus at Katahdin mountain in Maine. At the end of his second day out, he stops for the night at a shelter in Shenandoah National Park, where he meets other hikers with whom he will share the long trip north: Creature Man (that's his trail name), a caustic but likable loner with secrets that are really tough to uncover; Kevin, a Vietnam veteran who is making his second attempt to complete the entire Trail; Rock-Stabber, an ex-Marine with unlimited stamina but very limited social skills; and Juice-Box, an attractive young woman who is (unusually) hiking alone. As the play progresses, covering three months and a couple thousand miles in about a 2-1/2 hour running time, we learn a bit about the baggage each of these hikers carries with them along with their gear. But Lengel's focus is unwaveringly about what happens to Adam, and how this remarkable experience transforms him.

There are any number of singular things to notice about North to Maine. It's about hiking, but Lengel wisely doesn't spend much time at all showing us any; he leaves the gorgeous scenery for the movies and lets us imagine it in our mind's eye and instead takes us into the hearts and souls of his characters. (There's lots of ambient detail, though, as the characters teach each other and the audience numerous tips and techniques about how best to survive in the wilderness.)

More significantly, there are no traditional heroes or villains in this play: these people are not doing battle or even trying to master nature but rather simply become at one with it, and they are likewise never antagonists to each other, except in the heat of random particular moments; they must finally only collaborate to climb these mountains and reach the end of their journey. Their only true battles are within themselves.

There's some beautiful writing here, much of it assigned to Kevin, the most experienced and therefore wisest of the hikers we meet; I particularly recall his memories of his service in Vietnam and its tumultuous aftermath when he joined a veterans' anti-war group, and a later speech in which he describes what he's expecting to find when he finally reaches the summit of Katahdin. All five characters are rich, highly individual creations, though, and they're brought vividly to life by the actors: Tim Dowd as Adam (a brave and compelling performance of a nearly nonstop role—he's almost never offstage), David Sitler as Kevin, Adam LaFaci as Creature Man, Joie Bauer as Rock-Stabber, and Michelle Concha as Juice-Box. All bring energy, insight, and deep humanity to their work here, and under Parness's direction they create as seamless and satisfying an ensemble as any you're likely to see on stage right now.

Kudos, too, to scenic designer Aaron Ethan Green, who uses just a few set pieces in almost story theater style to evoke the play's various majestic settings. Nick Simone's sound and Cindy Shumsey's lighting contribute greatly to the world of the play as well.

North to Maine was finally, for me, a thrilling, exhilarating, and highly moving theatrical experience. Though it's specifically about a young man who sets out to meet a particular and extreme challenge, it's really a celebration of the extraordinary potential within each of us, to find some seemingly quixotic goal and see it through, and then discover what we've made of our world and ourselves when we're done. It's a journey well worth the taking.
Quote:
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Despanan

Big news!

1) Another review has dropped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanaroundtown
...Playwright Brenton Lengel has crafted a loving and more importantly likeable portrait of the Appalachian Trail and her transitory inhabitants. He succeeds not only in making explicit the way such an adventure can change a person’s life, but also creates solid, three-dimensional characters that we grow to love...This is a play as much about the human condition in microcosm as it is one man’s personal journey through 2,000 miles of American wilderness.
Full review here:

http://www.womanaroundtown.com/secti...north-in-maine

2) North to Maine Has been published! You can get a digital copy of the script here (Since I figure most of the folks on this site can't make it out to NYC):

http://www.indietheaternow.com/Play/north-to-maine
Quote:
Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Despanan

Here's a TV spot I did on the show for MNN, featuring clips of the performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbh9M2hGQY
Quote:
Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
BourbonBoy

Awesome interview. Bums me out I don't live in the Tri-state area because I would so be there to see that play.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Xombie

Damn, I would love to see this show if it would travel down the Appalachian a bit to western North Carolina.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Jackson Cutler

If this is still on when I come to the States next year, I'll come to the performance and buy you a beer.
Jackson Cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Catch

Wow, good reasons to move. grrr