Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

More HD problems!!!!!!!!!

Today everything was going well, then I restarted my computer and Windows did a chkdsk scan on both my HDs. I have one 500 GB with windows on it, and a backup. The other had my main storage.

Chkdsk found tons of "orphan" bad files on both drives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I watch in horror and discust as the list flows by at warp speed.
It finished it's dirty deed and Windows SLLLOWWWWLY starts.

I get in and check to see what if fucked and what is
unfucked. I see that 30 GB of data is missing on my main drive and pieces missing on my system drive.

I can't believe this fucking bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing pisses me off more then HD fuckups!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing!!!!! like a dozen songs were fucked, a few movies were wrecked and god knows what else in that 30 GB sea of stuff. I am so sick of this, I can't see properly.

Folks, sorry for this, but I need to blow off steam.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Opteron_Man

I don't give a fuck, I know the economy is in the shitter right now, but if you are going to build and sell harddrives, then do a goddamn good job or don't fucking sell it! Build it right or piss off!

That is two drives from two different manufactures and both were brand new when I bought them, less then 2 years ago.

Goddam I am pissed offffffffffff!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Opteron_Man

I bought 15 dvd and I am backing up my music collection. It will take every bit
of 13 DVDs to do it, but it will be worth it. I spent 5 years collecting it, and I will be goddamned if I will lose it to cheap shoddy designed hardware!

I am burning it slow, at 8x. Just to be sure the backup is good.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
the-nihilist

What manufacturer? I only buy Seagate and Western Digital hard drives and haven't had one fail yet.

Was the hard drive making grinding/clicking noises? Those are signs of a failing hard drive.

You can try putting the hard drive in the freezer for a while and then try to recover files from it. I've never tried it, but some people swear it works.

If all else fails and you absolutely have to have that data back you can try getting a forensics program such as WinHex

http://www.x-ways.net/winhex/
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
What manufacturer? I only buy Seagate and Western Digital hard drives and haven't had one fail yet.

Was the hard drive making grinding/clicking noises? Those are signs of a failing hard drive.

http://www.x-ways.net/winhex/
One is a 500 GB Seagate and the other is a Western Digital.
The Seagate makes an occational CLACK noice. And both fail CHKDSK and I lose files. I backed up my shit to the other drive but it fucks up too.

I throw in my Hiren's boot cd and test the drives and sure enough, they are flaky.

Fuck them! Why can't things last!!!!!!!!?????
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
ZyklonB

I back-up everything I have into external(s) that I hardly ever touch, only to back more shit up or to get anything i deleted/lost. Next time you should use a RAID(1) Array with 3-4 HDs whenever you can afford the cash that is, if you really don't want to lose data.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
ZyklonB

lol crap i had more to write so i went to edit and it said 7 minutes are up. Anyways, Personally I'm saving up to create a home server that I'm going to use to share files throughout the comps in my house (The new desktop I'm getting hopefully in 2 months or so+my laptop+my brothers desktop and if he gets a laptop, that too) and assorted uses(perhaps stick a TV tuner in there?) And probably setting up a RAID(1) on that thing.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyklonB View Post
lol crap i had more to write so i went to edit and it said 7 minutes are up. Anyways, Personally I'm saving up to create a home server that I'm going to use to share files throughout the comps in my house (The new desktop I'm getting hopefully in 2 months or so+my laptop+my brothers desktop and if he gets a laptop, that too) and assorted uses(perhaps stick a TV tuner in there?) And probably setting up a RAID(1) on that thing.
I think I am going to buy 2x 640 Gb drives. When they get here, I am going to run torture tests for a few HOURS to see if the so called "good" and "reliable" drives are REALLY what they say they are. Then i'll recover my data onto the new drives. I'll put one away one of them and only plug it in for backups.

Then I will send back both my other failing harddrives to the seperate companies.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Opteron_Man

the 1 Tb drive is arounf the same price as a 640 Gb.

I'll get two 1 Tb drives, one for daily use and the other one for exrernal storage like Zyklon suggested.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
the-nihilist

I have a 150 Gigabyte HD (10000 RPM) with a 50 Gigabyte partition for the operating system files and any updates and 100 gig partition for programs, movies, mp3 files. That way if my operating system crashes I can just format that partition.

Also have an 80 Gig hard drive for a linux installation I use every now and then.

You could just by three separate hard drives and use Robocopy to keep them synchronized. I guess that's RAID 1, i've forgotten a lot of that terminology.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #11
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
I have a 150 Gigabyte HD (10000 RPM) with a 50 Gigabyte partition for the operating system files and any updates and 100 gig partition for programs, movies, mp3 files. That way if my operating system crashes I can just format that partition.

Also have an 80 Gig hard drive for a linux installation I use every now and then.

You could just by three separate hard drives and use Robocopy to keep them synchronized. I guess that's RAID 1, i've forgotten a lot of that terminology.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
That is a nice piece of hardware! I downloaded that program pack from your link. Thanks. Since there isn't much sense in buying a 640 gb drive when I will fill it in 4 monthes when I can get a 1 Tb drive for like $20 dollars, I will get 1x 1Tb drive this month and the other the next month.

If I lost my data completly, then well, why have a computer?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #12
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteron_man View Post
that is a nice piece of hardware! I downloaded that program pack from your link. Thanks. Since there isn't much sense in buying a 640 gb drive when i will fill it in 4 monthes when i can get a 1 tb drive for like $20 dollars, i will get 1x 1tb drive this month and the other the next month.

If i lost my data completly, then well, why have a computer?
$120! Not $20!