Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
MissJames

Miss James says hullo.

oh man, I love lists.

1. What do you do? um, I owned a vintage/handmade store that sold the most kick ass stuff. I wasn't really making money and had been considering closing, but then when I was robbed with a gun stuck under my chin, I decided it was time to get the hell out. oh, he didn't get my $ by the way, I stealthily pulled out my super-stong 10% capsaicin police regulation mace and he runned away, poor thing. afterwards they cops told me "you're very brave. and stupid. don't ever do that again!"
currently I'm selling off my vintage stock on eBay, along with some of handmade stuff. I make 10" felt animals with handmade punk/goth clothing and lots of little handmade accessories like jewelry and messenger bags and stuff, and jewelry, and a bunch of other stuff. and I love to embroider and make cool-ass original cross stitch patterns.

2. Where are you from? northeast PA

3. Who is your favorite author? tons! I love angela carter, poppyz, jon shirley, bentley little, jkr (im a tiny bit of a harry potter nerd), chuck palahniuk, italo calvino, and I always have a soft spot for stephen king. did anyone read cell? digital zombies!!!

4. What are your favorite films? I like all the ...of the deads (including shaun of course), pretty much any zombie movie (return of the living dead is hilarious, and don't forget cemetary man), from hell, harry potter,

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? definitely Vide Cor Meum, the opera in the movie Hannibal, based on Dante's La Vita Nouva

6. At your funeral? definitely something that rocks

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? eaten by a polar bear, totally. they are my favorite animal, but they are also quite brutal, and I would be honored to be devoured by one. and have actually considered jumping the barrier at the zoo, but I think that is a pretty bad idea and traumatizing for the zoo-goers. and they'd probably kill the bear.

8. What kind of casket would you want? well, I want to be cremated, so people can see a constant reminder of me on the mantle. so I'd like a nice brushed silver box. but I do want a monument in a cemetary, so that people can go there and give me presents and cry and stuff.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? I'm such a bad goth. I used to do the whole layred black clothes, striped tights, huge boots, tons of jewelry, white face/black eyes/red lipstick thing. I don't know if I'm too lazy or too damn old, but now I find myself wearing dark jeans, black t-shirt, and motorcycle boots every single day.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? doing things that one would consider dangerouly psychotic if was older.

11. What's your favorite band? there are too many to list. but to narrow it down, I mainly prefer bands with ladies in them, girl punk or post-riot grrrl, nothing too thrashy or industrial.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? high school, 4 years of art school, a semester in rome, and I majored in graphic design and art history, but also studied all manner of painting, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, performance/interactive art and the like. now I'm saving up to go to tom savini's effects school in pittsburgh, because he is my love and I finally realized that was what I wanted to do all along.

13. Why did you join? I am not friends with many of the people I had lots in common with in high school or college, and my current friends are indie rock-twee pop cuties, frustrated indie filmmakers, moody musicians, drunk pseudo-intellectuals, or stoner artists. they're cool, but they don't really get me.it will be nice to talk to like minds and have discussions (while trying not to be too much a human flamethrower).

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? I'm quite the lady. oh, and I'm 29.
MissJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
crimsonjoy

Hey; hope you have fun here.

P.S. It may have been "stupid", but I bet that bastard thought twice before robbing someone else. And at least you got some revenge...
crimsonjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
bunnicula

Welcome, Miss James. A polar bear, really? Have you seen "Grizzly Man?"
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
MissJames

I rented grizzy man, and it just boggled my mind. the dude camps out, tries to pet the bears, throws some rocks at guys in a boat, and somehow he's saving them? if you say so, grizzly man.

they recently showed it on discovery, and I kind of shreiked and changed the channel. the crazy might get on me!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
bunnicula

I saw it in the theater, and thought it would be a documentary about bears, but I was rudely awakened! I feel sorry for the guy, but I also think he deserved what he got.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Sobeh

I remember a long time ago, there was a Nature program that featured some rich bastard who'd take his helicopter out and go rifle hunting from 500 feet up. People like that should feed the world, not ones like yourself! Getting eaten while you can still write and talk and educate people to be better folk is something of a waste of the mind container, yes?

So let's hope for a more urban existence for you. At least until you say a few more things... :P
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
Queenofdarkness57

Welcome to Gnet. It's really cool: Lady kicks burglar's ass! Rock on!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJames
jkr (im a tiny bit of a harry potter nerd),
Me too!!
Welcome, Miss James! Nice to have you here.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
WolfMoon

Welcome, MissJames!

It's always good to see a fellow DIYer join the boards.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #10
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
http://i.mugglenet.com/gothtrio.jpg

For those of you who haven't seen this (and because I think MissJames may get a kick out of it), here's Harry Potter gone Goth.
I love the gothic version of Harry Potter. They look so cute!!
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
Ben Lahnger

MissJames, welcome. I'm sorry you're shop wasn't more successful. After more that 20 years in retail myself, I think that's the kind of business that could do very well on ebay, but is very hard to manage in a brick-and-mortar storefront these days.

I like your introduction. I'm not really kean on the polar bear thing. But I like the interest in zombies. Can I tell you something I've never said at Gnet before? I'd like to come back as a zombie when I die. I think that would kick ass! But I want to be a smart zombie ... not one of those stupid ones that is willing to settle for dog carcasses for lunch!

I also like it that you are a "woman of a certain age". It's good that we have a well rounded memership, and I think people in their later 20's and early 30's do the most amazing things. They are still willing to take some risks that people who are older shy away from, but they have learned enough about people and living to make it interesting.

Anyway, once again, I say "Welcome!" I look forward to your contributions here.

Xng, that gothic Harry Potter picture really made me laugh. Good stuff!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
angel011

Hullo to you too, MissJames. Welcome and enjoy your stay. I like your choice of authors, and your current choice of outfit.

Nice age, too.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
angel011

Quote:
(Yay! I figured out how to make the é!)
Please tell, I couldn't figure it out myself!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
MissJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel011
Please tell, I couldn't figure it out myself!
This site has about a million character tags, from hearts and other shapes to greek characters and special latin chars used in most languages, including the é.

Ben, I long for the zombie life myself. I have had many vivid zombie dreams (being attacked or turning into one), some are really scary but they're all awesome!

WolfMoon, I'm on craftster.org as franceandamber, and am really into doing swaps. if you're on there, come say hello. if not your should totally sign up, it's a great site!

I've had that HP goth trio pic on my comp for ages (I collect cool and sexy hp fan art!) and am working on my own version. and if you're into hp and over 18 you should join restrictedsection.com (I'm StellaSeven). it has tons of nc-17 fics ([i]lots[/] of slash! I love me some sweaty harry/draco action) and a really cool, active message board. oh yeah, I'm a total perv by the way. and more of a potter nerd than I care to say.

Sobeh, I think maybe I'll wait until I'm on my death bed to try and cuddle a polar bear!

thanks for the welcome everyone! I already feel at home!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
MissJames

okay, so that character page is for html posting, and I'm guessing this site doesn't support it! another thing to do is just to go to that page and copy and paste the character. Xnguela, share with us your secrets! there are a bunch of special characters on your keyboard if you hold down the option (mac) or alt (windows) key and type any letter or punctuation key now this is going to bug me. pardon me while I google...
Old 04-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #16
gruel

⇒Like this? "Reject Bunnies®" or: "I'd pay £500 for a Reject Bunnies©"
gruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #17
Circle V

Quote:

For those of you who haven't seen this (and because I think MissJames may get a kick out of it), here's Harry Potter gone Goth.
Gothic Hermione makes me happy in my pants. I can say that because she's probably older than me.

Ron looks better like that than he does in the movie...
Old 04-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #18
Sobeh

That photoshop is going on my bathroom mirror
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #19
gruel

Quote:
And yes, Gruel, we get it. You're the Reject. We already knew that.
Who told you?
gruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
WolfMoon

It was pretty obvious when you made mistakes like attacking the same people.

Duh.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
angel011

Quote:
Um, I made a Word Document, and I clicked Insert Character, and then I copied & pasted... Sorry, nothing really techno-advanced.
Thanks anyway.

Oh, and Harry the Goth is great!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #22
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:

Sweet! But where's Ron's red hair? God he's so cute! I'm obsessed with redheads.