Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #51
carakitty

Should I go dig out my Catechism?
Basically the Catholic Church teaches that being homosexual in and of itself isn't wrong, it's the action of homosexual sexual activity which will take you to hell in a hand basket. The Church calls all people to live a chaste and holy life, which does not translate to living as a sexually deprived prude.

I haven't read the original article (and probably should) but I can provide insight to the Church's view on certain matters.
carakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #52
SweetJane

I know that much from my own catechism, but the church also teaches that the gender you were born is the gender god intended you to be, so no it's not an "isolated issue", it is currently dogma. And what churches don't have a problem with transgendered people? The Baptists? The Pentacostals?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #53
Solumina

There is at least two open transgendered Methodist clergyman that I am aware of and so far the church is, at the very least, not against them and their congregations have been supportive. One of them was named Weekley, I don't remember his first name and I don't remember the other one's name at all. They aren't fond of gays but they don't seem to care much about gender reassignment (and they do recognize the person as their post-op gender so a MtoF can marry a man and a FtoM can marry a woman, I don't know how they feel about someone who has gotten resigned after being married).

I have no clue about other branches of Christianity but as far as non-western religions there are many that accept transgendered individuals, I just can't really think of a list off the top of my head.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #54
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
I'm Catholic, and if the Church says something isn't supposed to be taught, I agree.
Up until VERY FUCKING RECENTLY, the list of shit the Catholics didn't want taught to their precious little children included the Theory of Evolution.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #55
Apathy's_Child

I'm also 99% sure I've seen him defending the legal right to abortion.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #56
Necrophagist

Catholics are pussies. They don't even follow the Bible properly.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #57
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I'm also 99% sure I've seen him defending the legal right to abortion.
I'm rusty on my religious history, but if memory serves, the Catholic Church already declared that an infant is truly human when it is baptized (old rule). Ergo, they shouldn't really have a problem with abortion on the religious aspect.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #58
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I'm rusty on my religious history, but if memory serves, the Catholic Church already declared that an infant is truly human when it is baptized (old rule). Ergo, they shouldn't really have a problem with abortion on the religious aspect.
The Catholic Church teaches that life begins at Conception, and is very much anti-abortion.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #59
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist View Post
Catholics are pussies. They don't even follow the Bible properly.
How do Catholics not follow the Bible properly?

And what exactly do you mean by 'proper'?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #60
SweetJane

He was quoting Thomas Aquinas, one of the docters of the church, who did indeed say that the soul progresses into a human soul over time, but that particular text is not currently doctrine.

The Catholic church is very clear that it is a church of faith and reason and also a church based mostly on tradition and the gospel. Any priest worth his salt will tell you that.

I hate having to be apolagetic for a faith I no longer subscribe to because of my aversion to ignorance.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #61
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Nope.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...obama+abortion

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #62
carakitty

You beat me to it!

Here's more from one of the online Catechism sites:
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm#2271