Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Lilyth_Von_Gore

What bands or artists would you consider to be Gothic?

I did a search, and nothing similar came up, so here we go.

Whilst I'm well aware that truly Gothic music died quite some time ago, there are bands today that I know a lot of Goths listen to. Some I wouldn't consider Goth at all (Black Veil Brides? As if. Bunch of 80's hairmetal wannabes...).

So, I've come here to ask you, the people of Gothic.net, what bands or artists YOU would consider to be Gothic?
Lilyth_Von_Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Sinjob

That's because goth in general is just dead. Anyone who thinks or pursues otherwise is usually a hopeless manbaby you'll find working register at Tate's Comics.

Venting nonstop.

He's talking about the golden age of Bob Krane and Jack Kirby, cursing the sellout industry of now and how they continue bastardize and ruin something that was once authentic and grand, but long ago died out and the double killed by the plastic, polished revivals. All I see 'goth music' as now are just pathetic tryhards stuck in the past. Of course it's ironic because back in my doomed days my motto was GOTH FOREVER (quite original, right?) and I even went so far to write on myself and everywhere I went. All those compulsive chants were just creaking out of my denial that the subculture I'd once embraced and relished in was indeed a sold out, overdone, dead art.

In other words, MUSIC HAS MOVED ON AND WE ALL MUST EMBRACE THE MIGHTY WOMPS OF DUBSTEP.

RAVE NEXT FRIDAY, FOLKS! DRESS LIKE A TOOL AND YOU'RE ADMITTED FREE
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Grausamkeit

Goth is dead, long live Goth.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Undead undead undead?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Grausamkeit

Red velvet lines the black box....?

Not my original meaning, but I can dig that as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
AshleyO

I can't remember why Goth had ever been relevant or significant.

Punk seemed significant for a moment, but I kind of fail to see how Goth was ever important.

To the best of my recollection, I got in to goth at a young age because I felt alienated from my community. Ironically enough, I see how silly it was to play at being vampiric or some kind of dark tortured soul wearing black and kicking it with Bauhaus.

I think there's a different kind of thread in this post.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Beowulf

Quote:

Well said Grausamkeit !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Sinjob

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
I think there's a different kind of thread in this post.
Chillingly profound.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Black Spiral Dancer

There are so many sub-genres under the banner of "Goth" that at first glance, do not seem cohesively connected. Ordinarily, you wouldn't connect Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children, Cruxshadows, Abney Park and Voltaire.
Black Spiral Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
Elystan

Joy Division, The Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees. These are Gothic rock, and I don't really think anyone else is (I mean except rip off bands like the merry thoughts I guess).

And I guess the Cure, but I don't really like them so I'm gonna file them under gothic pop out of a sense of disdain for their weepyness.

And then there are bands like Alien Sex Fiend and Sex Gang Children I guess, which I'm going to call 'not quite the same thing'. I'm not sure they even count as music.

Fields of the nephilim and type o negative can go to hell for ruining a perfectly good genre, and I'm not sure I even care to know anything that came after them by name.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Punk seemed significant for a moment, but I kind of fail to see how Goth was ever important.

To the best of my recollection, I got in to goth at a young age because I felt alienated from my community. Ironically enough, I see how silly it was to play at being vampiric or some kind of dark tortured soul wearing black and kicking it with Bauhaus.
Punk carried a political message, goth was apolitical, which to my mind makes it more important. "Minding not the times but the eternities" to paraphrase Schopenhauer.

Playing at being vampiric is silly yeah, but black is a perfectly valid choice of colour and Bauhaus made some very varied and interesting music with far more intellectual content than almost any other pop music I've come across, and not even in a disconnected way; the ideas are viscerally plugged into you in a way you wouldn't get seeing them dryly worded in a textbook.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Grausamkeit

What are you, crazy? No FotN or TON?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Elystan

Yeah.. I dunno I've never been able to stand either band. I guess you could call them part of a "second wave" of gothic rock or whatever, but the 80's/90's bands have a different flavour to the 70's/80's bands, and it's not one that sits well on my pallette.

I realise I'm just calling whatever I like "gothic rock" here but I seriously think there had been a shift in the quality of music by that time.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
Grausamkeit

I'm just messing with you, dude. Personally, I can't stand the whole 'gothic metal' genre in general.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I personally don't believe in the existence of the genre of "gothic metal". I think it's just metal heads who want to be goths without actually listen to goth music.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Kasdeja

Nobody mentions This Mortal Coil? Wow.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #17
Beowulf

Quote:
What are you, crazy? No FotN or TON?
Everybody knows that the Neph and the Mish and TON make the world go round !!!.

Wolfie I`ll have that TON poster I told you about scanned later today for you !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Doktor Haus

Any band that still rips off The Sisters/Neph/Mish is goth. Everybody esle r teh poseurs. By the way, what the crap is TON?
Doktor Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Haus View Post
Any band that still rips off The Sisters/Neph/Mish is goth. Everybody esle r teh poseurs. By the way, what the crap is TON?
Type O Negative, poseur!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Doktor Haus

Quote:
Type O Negative, poseur!
Oh, yeah. Poor Peter Steele, man... he died and stuff.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
Kasdeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Haus View Post
Oh, yeah. Poor Peter Steele, man... he died and stuff.
Heart attack at 50 years old... when I heard the news, I didn't know he was that old.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #22
Doktor Haus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
Heart attack at 50 years old... when I heard the news, I didn't know he was that old.
I imagine it was all the durgs and alchohol, and my god. That man had to be going through two lighters a day to achieve such an awesomely deep voice.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #23
Class-Punk

Its hard to take this question seriously without being riddled with semantic debates.. Though, being a wired missionary of "Dark Indie", here's some favorite bands, some of which I've already posted in threads, which I consider to be in the umbrella genre of Dark Indie while having elements of Goth Rock or 80's revival.

O.Children
The New Division
The Horrors
DRAGONS
R O M A N C E
Gravenhurst
Rome
Light Asylum
The Soft Moon
Cold Cave
The New Division
The Exploding Boy
GENERAL DECAY
Craft Spells
Soft Kill
Kindest Lines
Frank (Just Frank)
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #24
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-Punk View Post
Its hard to take this question seriously without being riddled with semantic debates.. Though, being a wired missionary of "Dark Indie", here's some favorite bands, some of which I've already posted in threads, which I consider to be in the umbrella genre of Dark Indie while having elements of Goth Rock or 80's revival.

O.Children
The New Division
The Horrors
DRAGONS
R O M A N C E
Gravenhurst
Rome
Light Asylum
The Soft Moon
Cold Cave
The New Division
The Exploding Boy
GENERAL DECAY
Craft Spells
Soft Kill
Kindest Lines
Frank (Just Frank)
Good stuff, will check these out.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Angelic Dissonance2

The Doors were once called 'gothic' rock. It's just a word to describe an atmosphere... those who legitimately tried to fit into a genre called 'Goth' wound up actually not as dark as some synthpop I've heard. I'd call some Pink Floyd releases gothic, and almost all of Tool. Johnny Cash, too. And you know who's really fucking gothic? Morbid Angel.

Personally, I prefer bands like Skeletal Family and Sex Gang Children to most darkwave bands, even though I listen to them, too. But as for new music? You're just gonna have to listen to whatever grooves you, man.

OH! One more thing. Look up Helena Beat, by Foster The People, and tell me what you think. I freaking love those guys(and I didn't think I would!).
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote