Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #926
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART View Post
Actually pointing a gun without live ammo in it at a random intruder is not the best of ideas.

Admittedly, one of the possible reactions is them raising their hands and surrendering.
Another is them running away.

Then there are a whole set of other possible reactions, including the intruder producing a weapon of their own -- be it a gun, a blade, or just something to bludgeon with -- and attacking. As said intruder will in this case literally be fighting for his or her life, expect no mercy, no quarter and no surrender.

And there you will be. With a fairly small lump of useless metal, fending of the attack.
Art: He is in your threads. - Thinking things through.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #927
Deadmanwalking_05

It was unloaded for photographic reasons.

no one was holding the camera either.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #928
ART

Oh, I am quite sure you know better Deadman, but there were others talking about "home defense" by means of empty gun and glorious acting.

In my book a very dangerous game, even hiding beneath the bed seems a better choice.

I have given the subject some thought since I have a number of rather scary looking (and very much not loaded) guns adorning my walls.
But, I'll stick with the axe. Its scary enough, and real enough.
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #929
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Oh, I am quite sure you know better Deadman, but there were others talking about "home defense" by means of empty gun and glorious acting.

In my book a very dangerous game, even hiding beneath the bed seems a better choice.

I have given the subject some thought since I have a number of rather scary looking (and very much not loaded) guns adorning my walls.
But, I'll stick with the axe. Its scary enough, and real enough.
Your axe still doesn't have the reach of a .38 Special (Known in other parts of the world as 9X29mmR) screaming out of a 4 inch tube.

Could you stop an attacker outside of your weapons strike range (without throwing it)?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #930
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Your axe still doesn't have the reach of a .38 Special (Known in other parts of the world as 9X29mmR) screaming out of a 4 inch tube.

Could you stop an attacker outside of your weapons strike range (without throwing it)?
It's pretty unlikely in a home defense situation that an invader will be out of melee "strike range" (unless you're living in a friggin' mansion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #931
Raptor

Quote:
I'll stick with the axe.
Go for the chair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9VWu...layer_embedded
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #932
ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post

Alright, let me elaborate a little. I do love these home defense scenarios.

First, that depends on the attacker. If we have someone reasonably professional intent on killing me in my sleep ... I'm dead.

Thats the unlikely intruder, though. The likely one being Mr Dopehead burglar. Mr Dopehead isn't likely to be armed with a firearm -- this is Sweden, and while firearms are frequent on the black market, burglars usually do not have them.

So. Can I stop him outside my strike range? Yes.

What he will be faced with is a most likely naked, quite large man with a wild mane of hair and a beard. Wild eyed, screaming bloody murder and armed with an axe.

Approaching him. Fast.

Will Mr Dopehead stop? My guess is he will either run, or die.

Now, if I had a way of knowing Mr Dopehead would visit, the shotgun would be loaded and ready beside the bed (as the Winchester Safari in .458 WinMag has WAY to much wall penetrating power -- a trait it shares with most loads for .38 special) and indeed be my first choice. But normally, as here be children at times, the modern guns stay in the gun locker.
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #933
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:

What he will be faced with is a most likely naked, quite large man with a wild mane of hair and a beard. Wild eyed, screaming bloody murder and armed with an axe.

Approaching him. Fast.
Best fucking image ever.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #934
Ben Lahnger

That is an image I'm having a lot of fun imagining.

Quote:
Now, if I had a way of knowing Mr Dopehead would visit, the shotgun would be loaded and ready beside the bed (as the Winchester Safari in .458 WinMag has WAY to much wall penetrating power -- a trait it shares with most loads for .38 special) and indeed be my first choice. But normally, as here be children at times, the modern guns stay in the gun locker.
A very sensible, reasoned answer. Of course, you're presenting it to an unreasonable man.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #935
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
motherfucker lol!

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #936
d0p3y

when the world achives perfection there will be no need for guns.

but till that day comes...

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #937
HellSide_Oso

As I'm a pro-constitutionalist & Libertarian...yes I support the second amendment. It's not about Hunting or just personal defense but having the ability to over throw a tyrranical government be it left or right wing.

I'd love to go to a shorting range. I'd also love to own a Lugar 9mm pistol from WW2 , a mauser semi-auto pistol & a classic mauser rifle. That & a AK 47.
HellSide_Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #938
Niccolo della Luce

I am absolutely pro-firearms. Looking back through history, we can see that one of the first things any totalitarian leader does is disarm the public so that it cannot fight back. The Constitution was written specifically to avoid that kind of America.

Well, it works within our borders, but I think we need more firearms available internationally. Maybe we could get the World Police to sit down and shut up.
Niccolo della Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #939
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo della Luce View Post
I am absolutely pro-firearms. Looking back through history, we can see that one of the first things any totalitarian leader does is disarm the public so that it cannot fight back.
Five examples.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #940
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I can only find references to four:
1) Nazi Germany
2) Fascist Italy
3) Cambodia
4) Uganda

North Korea would be a 5th, but there isn't any way to confirm this without inside data.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #941
JCC

Nazi Germany didn't ban guns, the Weimar Republic that preceded Hitler had already enacted gun registration and that was a liberal democratic government. The Nazis actually liberalised the gun laws set in place by the Weimar government, with the exceptions being Jewish firearms owners and other 'non-citizens'. The Nazis actually made it easier for Germans to qualify for gun ownership, lowered the age of firearm ownership from 20 years to 18, made regulation more lax than it had been. They banned Jews from carrying all weapons at one point but that was to emphasise non-citizen status, it was doubtful that this was an attempt to hold back an insurrectionary faction because Jews simply didn't have the influence.

I don't know about Fascist Italy.

Cambodia, there's nothing legit about any gun control laws in Cambodia that I have ever seen, just that really irritating chain email about 'the Soviet Union banned guns and then killed millions of people, Uganda banned guns and then killed millions of people' and so on. However, the dates stated in that email are that gun control legislation was passed in 1956, which was twenty years before Pol Pot's purges and had nothing to do with his dictatorship.

Similarly with Cambodia and Nazi Germany, gun control was already in place when Idi Amin took power in 1971, they had nothing to do with his dictatorship.

So of those four examples, three are not viable and one is only viable because it's a 'maybe'.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #942
Despanan

But Charelton Heston TOLD me that the first act of any dictator was to ban guns, so it MUST be true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #943
Saya

Why, I remember when the gun registry in Canada was introduced, we went along with it. Then the seal clubbings began, and the pups had no way of defending themselves.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #944
Ben Lahnger

The people who speak out the most adamantly about how they should be allowed to own guns ... well, they all seem a little scary and unbalanced.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #945
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
The people who speak out the most adamantly about how they should be allowed to own guns ... well, they all seem a little scary and unbalanced.
That's what I'm saying. I hate how the loud, batshit insane minority fucks everything over for the rest of us, the silent majority. I would speak out but I honestly don't have much better reasoning for liking guns than "Man, they're really cool" and for the off chance that I might need one.

Actually, you know what? I don't really give a shit either way.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #946
Deadmanwalking_05

The reasons why I feel the way I do on this topic...

This is part 1 of 6,feel free to check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAp-HvE1ws

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #947
KontanKarite

Man, to be honest, I've lived in NYC for almost two months and I've gotta level with you guys; I see no reason to own a gun and well... I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #948
Joker_in_the_Pack

I tried researching Fascist Italy's gun laws and only came up with websites hosted by people like Deadmanohmanisheretarded Walking.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #949
Deadmanwalking_05

This post is meant for those that continue to say that the Police and the Military are the only people to be trusted with firearms in public...

DeadManWalking_05 presents....

THE ONLY PERSON PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH TO CARRY A GLOCK FORTY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0

Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #950
Ben Lahnger

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the White House yesterday. Unfortunately, one of the bags belonging to the Prime Minister's bodyguards did not make the trip from New York to Washington with him, ending up in Los Angeles instead. When American Airlines located the bag, alarmingly it was missing four 9mm Glock handguns it had previously contained.

American Airlines Could Use Some Gun Control

Port Authority police in New York are currently investigating whether the weapons went missing before or after the suitcase was transferred to LAX.

I'm wondering if they were swiped by an airline employee, which should end up being pretty easy to trace, or someone else. Where are those Glocks now, and what kind of damage could they do?

I'd post the statement American Airlines made this morning, but they lost it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,