Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Mr.Doobie

Pizza is a Vegetable!!!

According to the GOP.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...-school-lunch/

Quote:
The spending bill also would allow tomato paste on pizzas to be counted as a vegetable, as it is now. The department’s proposed guidelines would have attempted to prevent that.

The changes had been requested by food companies that produce frozen pizzas, the salt industry and potato growers.
And as someone on another forum said, they'll probably oppose any effort to get appropriate health care to all the people who need it because they ate pizza every goddamn day because it's a fucking vegetable!

When will the GOP just announce that they... hate everybody?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Absent Soul

its ridiculous to class it as a vegetable. sure its cheaper and it has everything that it needs to be on a sheet of paper to decide on whether its allowed to be served, but they take no consideration of the other stuff thats in a pizza. even if all the kids become little fatties, it stills saves a few cents per head in the cafeteria and thats all they care about, not the future of the effects.

i do think though that maybe they were going to serve the pizza as a substitute to natural fruits and vegetables. i mean if we sat a kid down in front of a tomato and a pizza slice, whats the kid gonna go for. Its got PTA meeting written all over it.
Absent Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
JCC

The thing that pissed me off most about this is that tomatoes are a FRUIT.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
RuneDragon1985

Pizza isn't a vegetable.

The lead singer of My Chemical Romance is a vegetable.
RuneDragon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Saya

I feel like I woke up this morning to find out its the Reagan years again.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Grausamkeit

It's totes a dairy product!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

You knew I was going to post this ...

Q) What's the difference between a U.S. Congressperson and a slice of pizza?

A) Nothing ... they're both vegetables!

Ahahahahahahahaha!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

Hey, do you think I could get them to declare that celery is NOT a vegetable?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
wolf moon

I'm actually really glad it's a vegetable. Means I can finally eat it.

...that's how this works, right?
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Grausamkeit

JCC, pointed out that it's a fruit. Should still be safe, though?

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
JCC, pointed out that it's a fruit. Should still be safe, though?
That's okay, I eat fruits, too! I've always avoided pizza because I'm not supposed to eat bread... but now that it's a vegetable I plan to eat it every day!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
Saya

Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
wolf moon

Agreed.

I'm having a difficult time dealing with the world this week. We're being told that linking arms is a violent act and free speech must be purchased and goddamn pizza is a fucking health food and it's all too much.

I've been hiding in Buffy reruns and knitting projects. I want to move to Iceland.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
honeythorn

Reading the quote they are not saying pizza as in the entire meal/snack/whatever is a vegetable, only the tomato paste used on it. Which is of course incorrect as Tomatoes are a fruit as JCC pointed out.

Why they feel the need to classify it or point out it's "healthy" is beyond me since commercial pizzas are death and fat in a box. Though I have no doubt the companies who import or grow the Tomatos used in the paste will make more money.

On the other hand pizza doesn't have to be a big greasy fatty pig out.

You can make pizza healthi-ER by making your own, using as thin a base as you can get away with, making your own tomato paste, using minimal cheese or substitue, and loading it with vegetables and any meat if you eat it.

The tomato paste used on commercial pizzas is really not healthy at all. Full of salt, sugar and preservatives to boost the flavour . Gross >.<
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Solumina

When made well pizza can be a healthy, balanced meal, that being said this is an attempt at getting around regulations on cafeteria offerings to help with the obesity epidemic (in addition to the federal regulations a lot of individual school districts have set up requirements) and I think we all know that cafeteria pizza is not going to be the least bit healthy. The same can be said of spaghetti and meatballs, the sauce I make at home with loads of tomatoes and fresh herbs doesn't need more than a pinch of salt (okay maybe a teaspoon) and no added sugar, plus the nice, lean turkey I use in the meatballs is a world apart from what you could by in a jar, both in taste and in nutritional value (and I'm sure if pizza sauce counts as a veggie then spaghetti sauce will as well).

Also about the fruit thing: botanically/biologically/whatever a tomato is indeed a fruit but nutrition they provide are more in line with what is expected of vegetables so for the purpose of fulfilling the dietary needs of daily recommended values of both fruits and veggies they have been thrown in with vegetables for quite some time.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Also about the fruit thing: botanically/biologically/whatever a tomato is indeed a fruit but nutrition they provide are more in line with what is expected of vegetables so for the purpose of fulfilling the dietary needs of daily recommended values of both fruits and veggies they have been thrown in with vegetables for quite some time.
That pisses me off though because there are veggies I don't count as my serving of veggies for the day because they aren't very nutritious, like onions or potatoes. If tomato is in because its nutritious, then potato should be out.

I think what they should do is instead of saying "Okay, this many servings of vegetables a day" they should say things like "okay, this many servings of leafy greens, this many servings of root vegetables" and have a chart to see what's interchangable. Its more complicated but most people get most of their daily vegetable servings from potatoes, and rounding off your pizza with french fries just sounds like what the frozen food industry is pushing for a good meal.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
Reading the quote they are not saying pizza as in the entire meal/snack/whatever is a vegetable, only the tomato paste used on it. Which is of course incorrect as Tomatoes are a fruit as JCC pointed out.

Why they feel the need to classify it or point out it's "healthy" is beyond me since commercial pizzas are death and fat in a box. Though I have no doubt the companies who import or grow the Tomatos used in the paste will make more money.
Congress made pizza a vegetable specifically for school lunch purposes. There are laws requiring that public schools serve vegetables. Now they can list pizza on the menu without also having to serve a side of actual vegetables. Which is the reason so many people are concerned about all of this. It's not so much about what people choose to eat at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
That pisses me off though because there are veggies I don't count as my serving of veggies for the day because they aren't very nutritious, like onions or potatoes. If tomato is in because its nutritious, then potato should be out.

I think what they should do is instead of saying "Okay, this many servings of vegetables a day" they should say things like "okay, this many servings of leafy greens, this many servings of root vegetables" and have a chart to see what's interchangable. Its more complicated but most people get most of their daily vegetable servings from potatoes, and rounding off your pizza with french fries just sounds like what the frozen food industry is pushing for a good meal.
I don't eat nightshades, so I'm not exactly the biggest fan of potatoes. That said, the reason french fries or onion rings are so awful for you probably has a lot more to do with the rancid seed oils they're fried in - the potatoes and onions themselves aren't causing the heart attacks (onions are actually quite good at reducing inflammation, and both are high in vitamin C).
Old 11-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
Solumina

Quote:
That pisses me off though because there are veggies I don't count as my serving of veggies for the day because they aren't very nutritious, like onions or potatoes. If tomato is in because its nutritious, then potato should be out
I don't know about everyone else but when I was taught about the food pyramid in school I was taught that you need "colorful veggies" and that potatoes and such count as a starch.

Quote:
most people get most of their daily vegetable servings from potatoes
What?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Saya

Whoops, sorry. In Fast Food Nation he said that it was 25% of daily vegetable servings for the average American child was from french fries and potato chips.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
Morpheus13

That's not true. Some of us are too poor to get either pizza or french fries. A freaking small bag of potato chips is nearly 5 dollars.
Morpheus13 is offline   Reply With Quote