Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Creed of Heresy

Howdy-do, all.

I registered this account a couple weeks ago but I only just got around to doing something with it. Life loves to keep me busy.

What follows will take you some time to read. I figure if you're going to make a first impression, you had best put some effort into leaving as much of one as you can...for better, or for worse.

Because I, for some reason, enjoy telling strangers on the internet (yet not in real life, surprise surprise) details about who I am, allow me first to share with everyone my commonly used title; LG. Proceed with the dozen of cell phone, television, and/or kitchen appliance jokes. Now cease the jokes. It's a multifaceted title I adopted a while ago. It is a phonetic shortening of the name on my birth certificate, and an acronym to denote the name I legally changed to; Elegy, and Greg, respectively. My parents, it seems, tended towards the dramatic. I legally changed it to "Gregory" when I got out of high school because, while a pleasantly unique name and one I admit to not altogether disliking...getting a job becomes a little difficult when that is the name you're providing and going by. To close friends, I am Elegy. To everyone else, I am either Greg or LG. The L stands for "little." My father's name was Greg, my eldest brother's name is Greg...so you start to see where I decided to take this name from. The addition of the L for the shorthand was an attempt to keep my birth name intact while remaining with a more, eh, "normal" one.

So that aside, I'll spare the life details and go into something more pertinent towards this community.

I never quite fit in in school, regardless my age. I was very much a loner, preferred to keep to myself. When everyone else was running around at recess I typically would grab a book from the library and bring it with me to read. When everyone else was just being introduced to Roald Dahl, I was reading through Shakespeare's plays and sonnets, and by the time everyone was getting to that point I was tackling Dante's "Divine Comedy," and finding myself, like many others who have read through its grandness in entirety, enthralled most by Inferno. Not because of the satanic themes and descriptions of torments and tortures but because of the emphasis of what one must go through before one finally reaches total happiness. Around this time I was a Christian, and saw the journey of a man on his way to god representing the tribulations the soul must go through on that path. At this particular time in my life, at the age of 13, I already understood this all too well. Death, abuse, and actual torture; I had experienced all of these things already by this point. Literature kept me sane. It kept me composed. For all the things I deal with today...I think without literature, I would be much worse off in any number of ways.

Anyway. I had found myself drawn to the Cthulhu Mythos by Lovecraft, the many works of Poe, the Divine Comedy (as I mentioned), Dickens, Shakespeare...Bill Waterson [yes, Calvin and Hobbes], Horace Walpole, Bram Stoker, J.K. Rowling (don't care if you hate Harry Potter or love it; it's a very well-told series with vivid characters and personalities), Stephen King, Dean Koontz (both of them have their ups and downs but when they write a good story, they write very damn good stories)... I liked Frankenstein to some extent, though I prefer the modernizations of it, especially in film, to the original story itself. I am not really much of a fan of the author, to the point I can't remember their name off the top of my head.

There's other literary works, but those stick out the most in my head at the moment and if anyone REALLY is interested in hearing my opinions on various other authors and stories and genres I'll be more than happy to discuss it at length with you.

So, anyway. Parents died before I have any memory of them. Mother died giving birth to me (this is something I still struggle with for many reasons beyond the obvious), my father died three years later in the Persian Gulf War...foster care was abusive in many, many ways, and my only escape was reading. I witnessed death a few more times before I reached my teen years, but it's never something I quite became immune or hardened to...not exactly. I'll go into that in a second. But, anyways, at 13, I was placed in a high school that was a very bizarre assortment. Located just outside of the 8 Mile line in Detroit, where I lived at that time, it had kids from both outside the line (the middle-to-upper-class areas of the city) and inside the line (the ghettos, the slums). I wanted to be like the more well-off kids, being that I had spent most of my life living in poverty. This was the first time I'd really interacted with people who had relatively normal, decent, secure lives, and my first time being with a family that had some sort of wealth themselves. They weren't really any nicer than the rest had been but I had some necessities I hadn't often had before.

The "preps," as the high school term went, were the ones I tried to ingratiate myself with. By this time, I could no longer avoid people. High school had far more kids, especially in this school, which was overfilled thanks to a shitty education budget. Avoidance became all but impossible. I stole some of my foster parents' money in small, unnoticeable amounts, determined to buy some clothing to replace my thrift-store look with what the richer kids were wearing. I wanted to be like them. I tried to emulate them. I bought Abercrombie outfits, with their ridiculous premium-level prices, dealing weed around to augment my income for this. I tried to understand the idea of "school spirit," and tried to embrace it. They all seemed happy. I wasn't. Except for about a six month period at the age of nine, I had never been. But I wanted to be. But the harder I tried, the more hollow I felt. I felt fake. I felt forced. There was no connection with any of it. I couldn't find myself interested in the sports team, I didn't know how to connect with these kinds of people. The clothing didn't seem to represent me. I kept trying. Just before I turned 14 [January 27th is my birthday], I decided I couldn't bother. The kids I tried to become friends with turned me away or just were outright hostile. It didn't help I didn't know how in the absolute depths of hell to socialize with people who had lived lives that were just a world away from how I'd endured mine. There was a fundamental disconnect there; we were speaking two different languages. I couldn't even go with the crowd more familiar to me, the ones from the slums, because my wardrobe was this upper-middle-kid's sort of attire, and I'd stupidly burned all of my cheap-shit clothes in my foolish belief that things would be different all because of my damn clothing choice. Not to mention I'd been seen the last few months trying to hang around the rich kids anyways. That just wasn't happening

Once again. No connection. But I couldn't isolate myself nearly as well. I took to skipping classes and wandering the halls just for the sake of being able to put distance between me and everyone else. It was during one of these skips that I was caught by one of the hall-monitors and dragged into one of their offices [they had six in the school; skipping was a big thing, I guess]. It was here that I met a fellow dressed rather ostentatiously. I had seen him around before. He always wore something different, and dark. Trench coats, capes, robes. T-shirts or long-sleeved shirts with the names of bands that looked distinctly different and more "morbid" by what I was used to (which was typically rap), fishnet shirts, mesh shirts, sheer silken shirts, velvet vests, tight-fitting dress pants, leather pants, Tripp pants, combat boots, dress shoes, lace...the guy just dressed in whatever he wanted, it seemed. I'd always thought he was weird or a freak. But now I sat next to him. I noticed he was wearing eyeliner, and had a few tattoos across his face and he'd tinted his (black) hair with red streaks and tips. Just as bizarre as I remember. He looks over at me and goes "So, what're you in here for?" He sounded normal. Completely at ease, not a care in the world.

I admit, I had half-expected him to start talking about being abducted by UFOs or something.

I reply "Oh, they caught me skipping class, so...guess I'm busted." I shrug and he grins and nods. "Yeah, I'm actually here to get my ring back." I decide I have nothing else to do but wait, so I ask him why they took his ring. He explains it was a ring that was shaped like a long fang, and that they confiscated it for being a "potential weapon." I mention that I admit his entire outfit seems like it could be a potential weapon; that day he had this collar with spikes on it, some Tripp bondage's that were surrounded with chains, and his T-shirt...OK that didn't seem like it could be a weapon. I don't see Depeche Mode becoming murderers any time soon. He tells me that it's likely but it's not why. We talk some more. First about his outfit, then why he wears what he wears, which leads into more esoteric matters. He talks about finding comfort in the acceptance of death, and being completely unafraid of it. He tells me he is an atheist, a rare thing even among people he converses with. I don't have any prior experience with atheists, and at this point I thought they were all just satanists and murderers and immoral subhumans but he doesn't give off any of these vibes.
Creed of Heresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Creed of Heresy

What he says lingers. We grow to become friends, talking more and discussing things, especially literature, which we find we both highly enjoy. Jack, as was his name, began to suggest I try modifying my outfits, or chopping them up and patch-working them, doing something of my own, but I admit I have no experience with cloth-work and can't afford to destroy what I do have. He then offers to offer to pay for a few outfits of my own, the more "production-line-goth" sort of look, to see if I even like the style at first. I have admitted that I find the look interesting now that I've considered the reasoning for it. Me and him have been connecting and agreeing on a grand number of things. We find a similar interest, acceptance, and respect for death and the concept of it, even if his view is that there is nothing afterwards, and that mine is that through accepting Jesus as the lord and savior I will go to heaven, but all the same, we share plenty of views. I decide to take him up on his offer. I purchase a couple Tripp pants; one closer-fit (not skinny jeans, but you know what I mean, one looser-fit (the bondage style ones). The closer fit doesn't exactly appeal to me; I dislike being constricted, probably due to childhood experiences, and the pants feel constricting, though the bondage pants I find I rather love. He introduces me to a bunch of music. The staples, the originals of goth music; Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy (which I found particularly enjoyable), Depeche Mode, and also Christian Death, though he also suggested me to listen to Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, and Wumpscut, which are not exactly goth, but have certain similar elements in their own ways that bring them close to it. I found I loved almost all of it. Some songs and bands didn't quite sit too good with me, but I found I really enjoyed most of them. I connected with the music far better than I connected with the music I had typically listened to before.

From there, I expanded my interests, began pursuing other interests from there, which I actually enjoyed. I would try one thing, and if it didn't work, I wouldn't bother. I found that the darker and more morbid it was, the more likely I was to be comfortable.

Jack would end up dying in a car wreck later that year. He was 16, and had been driving with his older brother. Both of them died when a shitfaced woman driving a minivan T-boned their sedan as they were pulling out of the driveway of my house (well, foster parent's house). I called 911, but that was all I could do. I could only stare at the bloody wreck that had been Jack's chest. He was still alive, still breathing, but he had stopped by the time the ambulance and fire department arrived.

Not the first time, not the last time. Death's a common theme in my life...

I shed Christianity about four months later, after me and my girlfriend were caught in a shoot-out between a pair of street gangs that saw us both get hit, me three times, her seven...obviously, I lived, but...

Ironically, it was because I read the bible, cover to cover, in great detail, while searching for answers, that I realized how little sense it made. It didn't provide answers, not the kind I wanted. It provided different kinds of answers, ones I could not ignore. I de-converted. I experimented with other beliefs. Spirituality, paganist worldviews of a half dozen varieties, the occult in general. None of it worked. It all seemed like cowardly attempts to try to ignore or downplay the finality of death. The idea of an existence beyond the mortal one became laughable and contemptible to me. This mindset is more toned down these days. I remain a constant skeptic, but I understand why other people hold such views...I at least empathize, even if I don't agree.

I'm 25 now. I tried going back to more "normal" attire for a couple years. Didn't work. I lost all my previous wardrobe; outfits I had purchased, crafted, customized, stylized, dozens of them, were lost in a recent move. I bought a couple more "socially-expected" articles of goth-stylized clothing recently. Tripp pants and a trench coat, and some Demonia Disorder boots. I just plain love trench coats in general, to be honest, though I'm going to modify this one, too. Few more belts-and-buckles wraps and linings, some studding and an embroidery, perhaps, and definitely a bunch of inner-pockets. The Tripp pants are actually much better quality than I remember getting before. Price is higher but I got these on the company's website as opposed to in a store. The fabric is thicker and better-woven. Maybe they just sell their cheap shit in stores or something. I've got a couple vests and dress coats on order for next month, and I'm going to break out this new sewing machine I got from someone when they get here. I don't dress to 11 everywhere I go, I maintain some camo pants and plenty of band shirts for casual stuff if I don't really care, but even then...sometimes you just gotta stop worrying about society's expectations. I'll wear whatever the fuck I want. Life's too damn short to hold yourself to the expectations of those who don't mean anything to yours.

I love late-night strolls through graveyards and cemeteries, and while it may seem cliche...it's comfortable there. It's a visitation of something I am very familiar with...an enemy, yet a friend. It's an enemy because it has caused me quite an extensive bit of pain in my life...if, indeed, it hasn't been the sole cause for all of it. But it is a friend, because I know in the end, it'll be there for me, and what pain it brought me...it will take it all away, and then none of it will matter. All that will matter is that I had something, for a short blink in the eye of the universal time-span, and that will be good enough for me, before that old friend comes.

The reaper comes for us all. You may run from him, you may fight him, you may simply surrender to him. But when he finally overtakes you, do not beg him for mercy, do not plead for more time, do not scream in terror and fall to despair, for these are your last moments.

Instead, turn, face him, and embrace him. Cast a final look back behind you, back on your life. Even if every single moment was full of venom and agony, you still had those moments. Look back on all you once had, all you once were allowed to experience, all who came and went, all that you did and saw others do. Realize that the fact you even had this was a gift from a universe that does not care about you, and gave it to you only so that you might have something. Then go with him in peace, let the twilight of your life fade into a darkness with no moon, and let silence fall upon you forever.

It's inevitable. Better to embrace it than to fear it. A lesson taught to me over a decade ago by a friend who experienced the inevitable all too soon himself. I won't forget it.

So that is me. That is who I am. That is why I am here. I look forward to engaging you all in conversation.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Creed of Heresy

Also since I forgot to do this.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I am a store manager for Target Mobile full time. I also volunteer at the Dane Country **** Crisis Center as a Crisis/Victim Counselor. Means that, respectively, I handle calls from **** victims, and I counsel victims in person.

2. Where are you from?
Washington, D.C.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Seriously, you're asking me to choose a single favorite? Read above for some of the ones I love.

4. What are your favorite films?
Cliche mode: GO. The Crow, the 1931 Frankenstein movie, Young Frankenstein because that movie was hilariously awesome, V For Vendetta [perhaps all time favorite in fact], Fight Club, Up, Wall-E, the Toy Story movies, Ratatouille [fuck you I love Pixar's work...up until recently, that is...], The Count of Monte Cristo, The Princess Bride, Paranorman, the first three Paranormal Activities, a number of the Dracula-centered movies, Alien, Predator, the first three Saws, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, and plenty of others.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Poets of the Fall, The Cure, Gorillaz, and Voltaire.

6. At your funeral?
Poets of the Fall, The Cure, and Voltaire. ESPECIALLY Voltaire, I want people to have some laughs so they don't leave all depressed and shit.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
The means don't matter, as long as when I draw my last breath, I am sprawled over her grave with a rose in my hand, in the dead of night under a cascade of rain.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Black-stained, glossed cherrywood, and black velvet lining.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My trench coat, my chain-adorned combats, fishnet sleeves, my Madness shirt, and any kind of dark, loose-fitting pants with chains or adornments with icons of mortality.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Not a fucking thing.

11. What's your favorite band?
I cannot choose one, I know of too many, but Voltaire is probably my penultimate favorite musician.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
High school only, I aim to get a degree in culinary arts.

13. Why did you join?
The goth culture has been a defining aspect of my life that I have found peace, comfort, and kinship in ever since I began to participate in it. There's a goth/industrial/punk scene up here, but it's kind of small and I want to meet others and discuss things with people I share interests with.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
I am a guy.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Versus

Sup.

I had a few questions. How did your father deploy as a single parent? Who was watching you when he did? And who did his SGLI policy go to, if not you?

That aside, I'm guessing you don't have much exposure to rap if you didn't find it morbid enough for you. The genre is sort of defined by it.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Creed of Heresy

I'll be entirely honest, I do not know the answer to how he deployed as a single parent, I've never really bothered to find out, though I suppose I could find out all the same if you'd like your curiosity sated on that, makes no difference to me either way. However, something to consider is that the military has often been very dismissive of the idea of not making someone who is in the service deploy just because they have a family. As for who was our caretaker, we were placed in the care of his mother/our grandmother, so I am going to go out on a limb and assume he was pressured into deploying and had to leave us in her care, because our grandmother was a total bitch, as I'm about to explain. The insurance was paid out to our grandmother which supports my assumption that he listed her as next of kin or legal guardian. After she received the money, however, she abandoned us and left. She was arrested on charges of abandonment a couple years later and died of cancer around when I was 10. She had racked up immense debts, and while not all of the money had been depleted (indeed, about $50,000 or so remained) by the time of her death, a suit was brought against her for the debt payments. My brother, now a serviceman himself, filed a suit that the money had rightfully belonged to us, given the nature of the abandonment, but with all the money having been paid out and then spent, well...you can imagine how that's gone so far. He has an appeal set up for next month, and since he is currently in Afghanistan, his lawyer is representing him under waiver of presence. We're crossing our fingers, but from the sound of it, I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

At that particular time, no, I had only been exposed to the rap music of the time, which is to say when rap was definitely in its downward spiral. When I started getting into more music genres, however, I explored some of the origins of hip-hop and rap, and found I quite enjoy a lot of the stuff from the late 80s and early 90s. Didn't like Eazy-E all that much, though I did very much like Too Short's works from that time period. Snoop's always a pleasure to listen to, and Tupac I think is deserving of his place as a rap legend, martyr syndrome or not. Biggie Smalls, eh, hit or miss.

So, to clarify; did not have in the past tense, did not find it in the past tense, have exposure in the present, have found it in the present tense. Admittedly the more stereotypical stuff always sours in my ear, but the stuff that comes from the mouths of rappers who grew up in the slums and actually have experience when they rap about all the shit that that entails always at least piques my interest.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Versus

Well, you're right that the military is often not sympathetic. In fact, it is impossible to join as a single parent, regardless of branch. The only way for him to have joined after your mother's death was to give complete custody to somebody else at least a year beforehand and to sign a very specific DA Form that states he had no intention to regain custody while in service. If she died after he had already joined, he would have been discharged immediately from the service unless there was someone in the local area to make a written agreement to be on call 24/7 365 to take custody without notice. Which is strange because your grandmother didn't sound like the type to do that, especially given the long build up to the gulf war. Curious.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Creed of Heresy

No, he joined well before my mother's death, of that much I am certain. What I am not certain of is the circumstances involved in all of that. I don't even have any memories of him, let alone anything that might have been going on at that time involving him, or the military, or our grandmother. My eldest brother might have picked up on something but given he was only eight when our father died, I doubt it. I'll ask him anyway when I talk to him this weekend if you're really that interested in it. You are very right about the thing about our grandmother, though. I don't have much to say for her relationship with my father, but given what she did to us...I can't imagine it was great. And given that, too, it's possible the life insurance was something she had in mind. What did she have to lose? He lives, fine. He dies...she's got a windfall. Maybe she was banking on that happening. From what I've read on the Gulf War, it was a huge mobilization, and Iraq had one of the largest militaries in the world at that time...largest, but apparently, not as effective as its size implied. Maybe she WAS banking on him dying. Or maybe she just decided that since she had the money, she wanted to spend it all on herself. I don't know. A woman who is enough of a twisted bitch to abandon her three grandchildren in DC to go to the west coast to buy all sorts of shit for herself...

I also have to admit, I've never heard of the military auto-discharging servicemembers for spousal death, but given the circumstances of it being an issue of becoming a single parent while in service, I guess that would make sense. I assume based on your knowledge of it all that you're in the military?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
BourbonBoy

Hello and welcome. Do you like classic fantasy? I've always enjoyed Robert E. Howard's Conan and Solomon Kane characters as well as Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" series myself.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Creed of Heresy

Oh yes. There's the obvious, like Tolkien, and I agree with you about R. E. Howard. I haven't read the Eternal Champion series, in fact it somehow dodged my radar; I haven't even heard of it! I'll have to alleviate that. I'll see if the local library branch has any of the books in; which one should I start with?

Let's see...I tried reading C.S. Lewis's works...and found them to be generally uninspiring works. Might be sacrilege to say that, I know, but it just never did anything for me. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was quite enjoyable to me in my earlier years, and while some here may frown because of its mockery and satire against the Victorian Era, I absolutely adored it. I LOVED Watership Down, which was a surprisingly (and pleasingly) dark novel. If you've ever read it, I am sure you know of what I mean. There's The Neverending Story, everything Jacob Grimm did, the rhapsodies of Homer, and as mentioned before, H.P. Lovecraft. I consider it a classic fantasy of a sort. There's a few others, but those are my favorites. I would place heavy emphasis on the Cthulhu Mythos for favoritism. The idea of an entity so powerful that it influences lesser beings without even being conscious of it was certainly intriguing to me in my "believing" years, and sticks with me all the same today because of the psychological aspects of it all.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Versus

Heard of Dan Abnett?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creed of Heresy View Post
Oh yes. There's the obvious, like Tolkien, and I agree with you about R. E. Howard. I haven't read the Eternal Champion series, in fact it somehow dodged my radar; I haven't even heard of it! I'll have to alleviate that. I'll see if the local library branch has any of the books in; which one should I start with?

Let's see...I tried reading C.S. Lewis's works...and found them to be generally uninspiring works. Might be sacrilege to say that, I know, but it just never did anything for me. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was quite enjoyable to me in my earlier years, and while some here may frown because of its mockery and satire against the Victorian Era, I absolutely adored it. I LOVED Watership Down, which was a surprisingly (and pleasingly) dark novel. If you've ever read it, I am sure you know of what I mean. There's The Neverending Story, everything Jacob Grimm did, the rhapsodies of Homer, and as mentioned before, H.P. Lovecraft. I consider it a classic fantasy of a sort. There's a few others, but those are my favorites. I would place heavy emphasis on the Cthulhu Mythos for favoritism. The idea of an entity so powerful that it influences lesser beings without even being conscious of it was certainly intriguing to me in my "believing" years, and sticks with me all the same today because of the psychological aspects of it all.
Not surprising you haven't heard of Moorcock, since he's a British author and he has more of a cult following in the U.S. A high school friend introduced me to him and ever since I've done everything to collect the series (imagine my surprise to find out that ten years ago he'd added three more books to the series! XD). Granted I haven't finished the series yet, but there are parts and characters that I've found so enjoyable that I have reread them multiple times.

The first three books are "Eternal Champion" followed by "The Sundered World" and "Phoenix in Obsidian" after that you can take your pick of the characters, the most famous being Elric of Melnibone` (heroic fantasy) with other characters being Hawkmoon (sci-fi/fantasy), Oswald Bastable (alternate history/sci-fi), Corum (fantasy), Jherek Carnelian (sci-fi), and the von Bek family (alternates between various genre's). All of this takes place within what he dubbed "The Multiverse" where sometimes the central character knows of his other lives, while other times he (or she) is ignorant of their status.

What I love about Moorcock is his ability to switch between heroic fantasy to sci-fi and mix the two without difficulty. He's been writing ever since the 1960's, so his bibliography's extensive. Another part of his genius is the story arc for each character can be read on their own merits, yet they all converge eventually.

Here's a list of his bibliography, hope it helps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliog...chael_Moorcock

I agree with Versus, you should check out Dan Abnett if you haven't yet. Excellent sci-fi and as far as I'm concerned, the best writer of the Warhammer 40K universe.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Creed of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Heard of Dan Abnett?
Hell yeah! Incidentally I read his Warhammer 40,000 books when I started to take an interest in that series (the tabletop games never exactly did much for me but I love some of the books; also, Gaunt's Ghosts, man, fuck yes) before I found out just how much stuff he has done. I had been talking about one of his Horus Heresy books (Legion) with a friend of mine and I mention Dan Abnett wrote it. My friend's a comic book junkie. Within minutes my IM window is flooded with dozens of comics that Abnett's written while my friend's typing goes into overdrive, complete with hysterical-looking typos. So I peeped his bibliography. I merely stared.

It's gonna take me a long, long time to get through that list. *Chuckles*

Bourbon: "Gentlemen...you had my curiosity...but now you have my attention."

Holy shit. You weren't joking about his bibliography being extensive...

You say he can switch between all those genres seamlessly. If what you say is true, then I might have a new favorite author here. It's not an easy thing to try to do that, especially if you're trying to keep everything within one canon. Well. I guess it could sort of be considered all the same canon, from the sound of it. Mostly? Is? Either way, to make it all tie in, and to do so without difficulty, is no joke. I think I'll head down to the main branch and see if they've got Eternal Champion. In the unlikely case they don't (the main branch here is huge), I could always see if it's available as an E-book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Versus

Read the Eisenhorn trilogy. It's very dark, but it's subtle at first. Has that "everything goes wrong" thing from gothic novels.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Acharis

Howdy howdy. Enjoy your stay.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Creed of Heresy

It's funny you should mention them, actually; I'm going to buy the omnibus this tomorrow. And thank you, Acharis!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
Class-Punk

I never reply to introduction threads, anywhere, on any internet forum.

But I have made a new rule.

Greetings mother-fucker, you said "howdy-do".
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote