Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #126
Murder.Of.Crows

Old 12-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #127
Timeless Rebellion

Unlike the Koran, the bible consists more of recollections and research of documents than actual prophet quotes.
I can see how some of the old testament can be argued as "written by god" as the author is not exactly known.
But in the new testament, it is mostly recollections, witness statements and research written down into letters and books by different people, and this is hardly the direct, unchanged word of God, religiously spoken.
It has also been proven that some stories in the old testament have been added later. This is much like what has been done with holidays so that it was easier to assimilate and later overthrow local beliefs.
The myth of creation is one of them.
The reason there are two in the bible is that during the Exile of Babylon, the priests and scholars that were exiled there started studying the local myths and found out that the local myth of creation had some really good things in it, and so they wrote another myth of creation based on it and added it to the Bible.
I can only imagine this has happened to several other stories, and it is also a historical fact that the stories have been filtered more than once to serve the church.

Conclusion: Even if the Bible started out as God's exact words, it is hardly so any longer.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #128
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
are you wishing death on me?
pothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #129
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Unlike the Koran, the bible consists more of recollections and research of documents than actual prophet quotes.
I can see how some of the old testament can be argued as "written by god" as the author is not exactly known.
But in the new testament, it is mostly recollections, witness statements and research written down into letters and books by different people, and this is hardly the direct, unchanged word of God, religiously spoken.
It has also been proven that some stories in the old testament have been added later. This is much like what has been done with holidays so that it was easier to assimilate and later overthrow local beliefs.
The myth of creation is one of them.
The reason there are two in the bible is that during the Exile of Babylon, the priests and scholars that were exiled there started studying the local myths and found out that the local myth of creation had some really good things in it, and so they wrote another myth of creation based on it and added it to the Bible.
I can only imagine this has happened to several other stories, and it is also a historical fact that the stories have been filtered more than once to serve the church.

Conclusion: Even if the Bible started out as God's exact words, it is hardly so any longer.
thats your opinion of the bible, but I'm telling you its the word of God, God really did write the bible, and it has not been changed by the church well except the mormon bible it has been changed, but the king james hasn't, to prove that there is manuscripts dating back to 60 ad that are complete books of the bible in fact over 10,000 copies of manuscripts of complete books, not to mention the dead sea scrolls, and how they are complete books of what we have today in the old test, but the manuscripts I'm talking about is of the new test, really look it up if you don't believe me
Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #130
pothead

Quote:
how mean can you get?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #131
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothead View Post
thats your opinion of the bible, but I'm telling you its the word of God, God really did write the bible, and it has not been changed by the church well except the mormon bible it has been changed, but the king james hasn't, to prove that there is manuscripts dating back to 60 ad that are complete books of the bible in fact over 10,000 copies of manuscripts of complete books, not to mention the dead sea scrolls, and how they are complete books of what we have today in the old test, but the manuscripts I'm talking about is of the new test, really look it up if you don't believe me
Truthfully, I do not believe that a holy book has to be the word of the deity of this religion to be a holy book.
As I view it, the holy book of a religion - as well as the religion itself - is supposed to guide humans to do right in the world and to build a certain morality.
Whether or not there is actually a god that will judge you after death is.. well unprovable but also impossible to disprove, so your oppinion is really as good as mine.
And as for the original holy book being the word of God, that is another subjective matter that I cannot disprove through science.
But think of this: If there is a god, what motive does he have to care if you followed the holy book to the letter if you just did well in life and lived as a good person?

Futhermore, it IS historical fact that the bible has been changed with time.
The Exile of Babylon that I mentioned is just one example of how stories have been added afterwards.
And it is also historical fact that the stories have been filtered.
I am not saying that it has not happened in other religions, because it might have. Nor am I saying that it makes Christianity any less of a true religion.
All I am saying is that it DID happen.

Then of course there is the ultimate truth of the flying spaghetti monster.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #132
pothead

Quote:
Truthfully, I do not believe that a holy book has to be the word of the deity of this religion to be a holy book.
As I view it, the holy book of a religion - as well as the religion itself - is supposed to guide humans to do right in the world and to build a certain morality.
Whether or not there is actually a god that will judge you after death is.. well unprovable but also impossible to disprove, so your oppinion is really as good as mine.
And as for the original holy book being the word of God, that is another subjective matter that I cannot disprove through science.
But think of this: If there is a god, what motive does he have to care if you followed the holy book to the letter if you just did well in life and lived as a good person?

The Exile of Babylon that I mentioned is just one example of how stories have been added afterwards.
I am not saying that it has not happened in other religions, because it might have. Nor am I saying that it makes Christianity any less of a true religion.

it is not a historical fact that the bible has been changed that's a lie it never once was changed, and I don't believe it has been if you can prove that it has been then maybe I'll listen, and I guess you don't know whats its like to believe its something that you know in your heart with out any doubt that its true, and that's how I believe in the bible I know it is true, and hasn't been changed you can believe whatever historian you want to but then there are even more historians that believe the bible hasn't been changed, so really I won't listen to your opinion on that because I know it's not true
Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #133
pothead

Quote:

the thing is that all that God wants us to do is accept him as savior, being a good person can't get you into heaven for the bible says that there is none good, but one and that is God, so you being a good person isn't really what God wants of you, but he does want you to try, but he wants you to accept him as savior, and believe that's all that God wants
Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #134
honeythorn

Quote:
it is not a historical fact that the bible has been changed
#

Sorry but it IS a historical fact, a provable fact. The bible you read to day is called the King Jmes bible because King James Basically rewrote it. As king by the laws of the time he was able to do this legally. The bible you read from today is a provable and massively mistranslated text jiggered about with by a medivael king because he decided he didnlt like bits of it and removed them.

Not one of the gospels reads "written by Jesus" or "according to jesus". They are written by people who may or may not have known a charismatic man called jesus ( a common name at the time and even now by the way so frankly he could have been any number of jesuses )

They SAY jesus said "blahblahblah" but NO ONE has ACTUAL proof he actually said that. Words in a book written by some bloke who isn't actually jesus... is not proof. Sorry.

I could say my best mate said " well bollocks to that and a pair of tights" and write it down in a diary. I could bury that diary, and 2000 years in the future someone could dig it up. What proof do they have that she actually said that apart from my word on it? NONE.

I could go round saying I'm the daughter of Zool and be convincing enough for a few hundred people to believe me, make artwork about it, and say they knew me when they really didn't. Someone can come along 2000 years later, read about it, make a few archeological finds , and who's to say I'm not the daughter of zool? No one. They have no actual proof, just as you have no Proof.

No one can say you can't believe in it, you can believe what you like, but it is not for you to say what we should believe in. It is not or you to say where we will go when we die. You are relying on NO proof at all. Just empty words of centuries dead palestinians/jews /whatever.

I do not believe in your god or devil. I seriously don't. I identify as pagan, and a witch. I cannot worship a devil I do not believe in, not even accidentally as worship is a knowing act, a deliberate focus of will and energy and supplication.

I do not belive I will go to your hell, it doesn't exist for me. You cannot say that god say;s I will go there. You haven't met your god, you also have not died. You have ZERO knowledge of what occurrs after death. Wether it be the heaven you believe in, or the hell. I do not claim to KNOW what happens after death, because it hasn't happened yet. Neither can an Atheist, nor can a Hindu, o a muslim, or a jew, or a tribal shaman.

You can believe, you can hope, wish, dream, whatever. You can read every holy text or none at all, you can practice whatever you like or not at all. No one can claim to know one way or the other. Not you, not me, no one. Your holy book was written by men, signed by men as the gospel of whoever. Not signed by jesus, not signed by god. You have only the word of some centuries dead men who you will never meet. you have no proof , only personal belief.

I know you're a troll, but it needs to be said. You have no proof and therefore no right to tell me or anyone else with any certainty, no matter how personal and ingrained your belief and indocrtination, where I will go after death or what will happen.

I think it;s fucking disgusting that being a good person can only be considered worth somethig if you do it in the name of the god of a particular religion .

That's not a god I want to follow. I help people because they need help. End of.Not to score fucking brownie points with any deity. If that's the only reason you want to be a good person, then you're not REALLY a good person. Not deep down. You're just a shit scared person who's afraid of the big bad man in the sky doing what you're told because you;re told to, not because it simply needs doing.

Some shit simply needs doing god/s or no god/s.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #135
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
#

Sorry but it IS a historical fact, a provable fact. The bible you read to day is called the King Jmes bible because King James Basically rewrote it. As king by the laws of the time he was able to do this legally. The bible you read from today is a provable and massively mistranslated text jiggered about with by a medivael king because he decided he didnlt like bits of it and removed them.

Not one of the gospels reads "written by Jesus" or "according to jesus". They are written by people who may or may not have known a charismatic man called jesus ( a common name at the time and even now by the way so frankly he could have been any number of jesuses )

They SAY jesus said "blahblahblah" but NO ONE has ACTUAL proof he actually said that. Words in a book written by some bloke who isn't actually jesus... is not proof. Sorry.

I could say my best mate said " well bollocks to that and a pair of tights" and write it down in a diary. I could bury that diary, and 2000 years in the future someone could dig it up. What proof do they have that she actually said that apart from my word on it? NONE.

I could go round saying I'm the daughter of Zool and be convincing enough for a few hundred people to believe me, make artwork about it, and say they knew me when they really didn't. Someone can come along 2000 years later, read about it, make a few archeological finds , and who's to say I'm not the daughter of zool? No one. They have no actual proof, just as you have no Proof.

No one can say you can't believe in it, you can believe what you like, but it is not for you to say what we should believe in. It is not or you to say where we will go when we die. You are relying on NO proof at all. Just empty words of centuries dead palestinians/jews /whatever.

I do not believe in your god or devil. I seriously don't. I identify as pagan, and a witch. I cannot worship a devil I do not believe in, not even accidentally as worship is a knowing act, a deliberate focus of will and energy and supplication.

I do not belive I will go to your hell, it doesn't exist for me. You cannot say that god say;s I will go there. You haven't met your god, you also have not died. You have ZERO knowledge of what occurrs after death. Wether it be the heaven you believe in, or the hell. I do not claim to KNOW what happens after death, because it hasn't happened yet. Neither can an Atheist, nor can a Hindu, o a muslim, or a jew, or a tribal shaman.

You can believe, you can hope, wish, dream, whatever. You can read every holy text or none at all, you can practice whatever you like or not at all. No one can claim to know one way or the other. Not you, not me, no one. Your holy book was written by men, signed by men as the gospel of whoever. Not signed by jesus, not signed by god. You have only the word of some centuries dead men who you will never meet. you have no proof , only personal belief.

I know you're a troll, but it needs to be said. You have no proof and therefore no right to tell me or anyone else with any certainty, no matter how personal and ingrained your belief and indocrtination, where I will go after death or what will happen.

I think it;s fucking disgusting that being a good person can only be considered worth somethig if you do it in the name of the god of a particular religion .

That's not a god I want to follow. I help people because they need help. End of.Not to score fucking brownie points with any deity. If that's the only reason you want to be a good person, then you're not REALLY a good person. Not deep down. You're just a shit scared person who's afraid of the big bad man in the sky doing what you're told because you;re told to, not because it simply needs doing.

Some shit simply needs doing god/s or no god/s.
you can believe whatever you want to believe but that doesn't make it true, I know what the truth is, and you don't your opinion is not fact
Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #136
Murder.Of.Crows

This shit got way too serious for a troll's thread.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #137
honeythorn

Quote:
you can believe whatever you want to believe but that doesn't make it true,
Which is basically the gist of what I said to you in the first place dipshit. You do realise this actually applies to yourself right?

Quote:
I know what the truth is, and you don't your opinion is not fact

You DON'T know what the "truth" is, like I said you are not yet dead, and therefore have no right to claim knowledge of any truth, since you haven't yet experienced it. Nor can you claim truth based on a 2000 year old game of chinese whispers tht's been fiddled with and re-written by many many people throughout history. You can believe, yes, but you do not KNOW.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #138
Timeless Rebellion

Pothead: I wanted to have a serious religious discussion with you, and for a few posts there, you did alright. But now you played the "I know it's true! LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" card, and as such, I have lost interrest and respect for you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #139
pothead

Quote:
well your the one who made it serious, the gospel part that i made was serious but you wishing death on ppl made it more serious
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #140
pothead

Quote:
Pothead: I wanted to have a serious religious discussion with you, and for a few posts there, you did alright. But now you played the "I know it's true! LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" card, and as such, I have lost interrest and respect for you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
well i more than believe I know the bible is true and hasn't been rewritten, for starters the manuscripts i was telling you about that dated back to 60 ad well they haven't changed since then, and they are the same books that are in the new testement, but if you want to ignore the historical evidence for the bible then go right ahead you can think it's been rewritten but the manuscripts say it hasn't
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #141
Murder.Of.Crows

Timeless, he is a mindless troll, nothing more. You cant have a serious discussion with him anymore than you can successfully teach a one year old, physics. It's just not within his capability to understand you.

Pothead, I never threatened you, not once. I asked you kindly, to die in a fire, via use of a cute cat.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #142
pothead

Quote:
Timeless, he is a mindless troll, nothing more. You cant have a serious discussion with him anymore than you can successfully teach a one year old, physics. It's just not within his capability to understand you.

Pothead, I never threatened you, not once. I asked you kindly, to die in a fire, via use of a cute cat.
well I forgive you
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #143
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
well I forgive you
Forgive me for what? I did nothing wrong. Even if I had done something wrong, I would not feel an ounce of guilt enough to even want to be forgiven.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #144
pothead

Quote:
Forgive me for what? I did nothing wrong. Even if I had done something wrong, I would not feel an ounce of guilt enough to even want to be forgiven.
I forgive you for wishing death on me, you don't think wishing death on someone is doing something wrong?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #145
Murder.Of.Crows

I did not wish death upon you, I asked you to die. If you are incapable of understanding the difference from wishing and asking, then there are more important discussions we should be having. Such as that are you a moron or are you mentally crippled. I guess to my understanding though is that Christians confuse the two anyways, with the use of prayer. Perhaps that is my answer pertaining to your disability.

Edit: Also you forget to include the use of a cute cat. It is an important part.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #146
Timeless Rebellion

Quote:
well i more than believe I know the bible is true and hasn't been rewritten, for starters the manuscripts i was telling you about that dated back to 60 ad well they haven't changed since then, and they are the same books that are in the new testement, but if you want to ignore the historical evidence for the bible then go right ahead you can think it's been rewritten but the manuscripts say it hasn't
The flying spaghetti monster tells me that he rewrote it before all of the proven rewrites.
Now, the more I believe, the more I know it's true.
Also, you are ignorant and decided to stick your fingers in your ears instead of stating facts.
Go ahead and ignore the truth if you will, I am done with you.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #147
pothead

Quote:
The flying spaghetti monster tells me that he rewrote it before all of the proven rewrites.
Now, the more I believe, the more I know it's true.
Also, you are ignorant and decided to stick your fingers in your ears instead of stating facts.
Go ahead and ignore the truth if you will, I am done with you.
I am stating facts, you can believe whatever you want to but that doesn't make it true, me putting my fingers in my ears ? yeah right there is no reason to because I know the facts, and you don't
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #148
Timeless Rebellion

I know the facts, the facts are that the flying spaghetti monster made everything, and being a spaghetti priest, I know everything.

All hail His spaghetti and His meatballs!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #149
CuckooTuli

Quote:
That's because some people STILL, after all this time, keep trying to debate with it, then acting affronted when they receive a trollish response.

Just sayin'.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #150
Timeless Rebellion

I do have a name