Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Daywalker

Good Anime shows

Please give me names of what you think are good anime shows thank you .
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
triggerhappi26

Elfen Lied
Hellsing (but not hellsing OAV)
Hellgirl
Loveless
Gantz
Blood +
Trinity Blood
Clannad/Clannad after story
NANA
Zombie Loan
Paradise Kiss
Ergo Proxy
Rosario Vampire
Eden of the East
Rozen Maiden
Pandora Hearts

Death Note is of course great but many of its fans are annoying as hell so it ruins things a bit

That's all that comes to mind right now might think of some others later but I really like the anime movie Howl's Moving Castle.
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappi26 View Post
Elfen Lied
Hellsing (but not hellsing OAV)
Hellgirl
Loveless
Gantz
Blood +
Trinity Blood
Clannad/Clannad after story
NANA
Zombie Loan
Paradise Kiss
Ergo Proxy
Rosario Vampire
Eden of the East
Rozen Maiden
Pandora Hearts

Death Note is of course great but many of its fans are annoying as hell so it ruins things a bit

That's all that comes to mind right now might think of some others later but I really like the anime movie Howl's Moving Castle.
Do you mean OVA? The OVA for Hellsing was way better than the original anime series.

God I hate Trinity Blood. It was so pretty and had the potential to be great, but it fell flat on its face. The ending made me feel like the entire thing was a waste of time. Such a wonderful amount of bishie eye candy though.

Hell Girl was okay, but got way too repetitive.

We have two other threads about anime so I'm totally repeating myself, but I recommend Serial Experiments Lain, Mononoke (not the princess), Ayakashi: Classical Japanese Horror, Paranoia Agent, Higurashi: When They Cry, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, Darker Than Black, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Gravitation, Fruits Basket and it wasn't amazing but xxxHolic was entertaining at least. Same with Ouran High School Host Club, I'd recommend that in a heart beat if it didn't have a particular episode that made me start to loathe it. Starts off absolutely hilarious but got more and more serious.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
triggerhappi26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Same with Ouran High School Host Club, I'd recommend that in a heart beat if it didn't have a particular episode that made me start to loathe it. Starts off absolutely hilarious but got more and more serious.

Kinda like Chobits too, all funny and awkward sexual moments and then got all dramatic.

Trinity Blood is entertaining tough I do agree the ending left much to be desired but it's good to enjoy the journey

yeah I meant OVA typos suck.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
JCC

Cardcaptor Sakura. No bullshit, I've watched all 70 episodes and fucking love it. As far as stuff that isn't only watchable for having lots of frills and pink, I liked Cowboy Bebop a lot.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Saya

I've been meaning to rewatch it, but afraid that it wasn't as good as I remember, dub or sub? And is Tsubasa any good?

For childhood animes I forgot, Samurai Pizza Cats is still actually very funny.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
JCC

Quote:
I've been meaning to rewatch it, but afraid that it wasn't as good as I remember, dub or sub? And is Tsubasa any good?
Definitely the sub, the dubbed version eviscerated the whole series, cutting out all of the homosexual relationships as well as just getting rid of something like thirty episodes just for the fuck of it. Plus the voice acting is horrible anyway. I always go sub, except for Cowboy Bebop which was mysteriously better dubbed.

I haven't seen Tsubasa, the only CLAMP I have seen is CCS and Chobits. I should watch more really.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
triggerhappi26

Is anyone as worried about the Avatar/ The Last Air Bender movie?
It seems like lately when they make a movie off an anime it gets ruined like Blood the Last Vampire or Dragon Ball.

Dragon ball was so bad I wanted to cry cause it had been the first anime I've ever seen and I was expecting a nice trip down memory lane.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappi26 View Post
Is anyone as worried about the Avatar/ The Last Air Bender movie?
I've been worried since they announced it and fucking traumatised when they announced the cast.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
triggerhappi26

Why must they ruin everyhing good?!

though they do it with comics too, the hulk movie almost bored me to tears.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
ape descendant

The Helsing OVA was better, in my opinion, than the regular-ass anime. Chobits is fun as fuck to watch.. Cowboy Bebop is another good one.

If you're getting into anime for the first time you may want to check out some classic movies, examples... Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll and the like.

If you're a bit of a kid at heart (I know I am), there's always, Sailor Moon, Ah My Goddess, Simoun, Tenchi Muyo... they're rather fun to watch and the art is lovely.

If you want something a little more grown up, you may try, Reign, El Hazard, Dirty Pair, Excel Saga, Otogi Zoshi, and Bastard.

If you want something "Adult", check, Legend of the Overfiend, La Blue Girl and maybe Nightshift Nurses. However, you've been warned.. these can be a little.. disturbing... and once you see them, you can't un-see them.

Hope that helps.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
The Helsing OVA was better, in my opinion, than the regular-ass anime. Chobits is fun as fuck to watch.. Cowboy Bebop is another good one.

If you're getting into anime for the first time you may want to check out some classic movies, examples... Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll and the like.
I feel like I should say watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the original movie was shit. It also had the WORST dubbing for an anime I ever heard.

Quote:
If you're a bit of a kid at heart (I know I am), there's always, Sailor Moon, Ah My Goddess, Simoun, Tenchi Muyo... they're rather fun to watch and the art is lovely.
Ah My Goddess isn't a kid's show! There's enough gratuitous TNA and not enough compelling story to make up for it, its like a soap opera for teenage boys to wank off to. I always thought Simoun and Tenchi Muyo were also like that, but I never saw them.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
d0p3y

Hellsing OVA
Hellsing Series (The animation is'nt as good but the storyline is still decent)
Darker Than Black (Very well written IMHO)
Saint Saiya (It's Awsome ^__^)
Hellgirl(It's Fun to Watch)

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
ape descendant

Quote:
I feel like I should say watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the original movie was shit. It also had the WORST dubbing for an anime I ever heard.
Dubbed?!?! I watch it in Japanese. I've never seen the dubbed version. The original Vampire Hunter D is classic, and IMO should be watched before Bloodlust.

Quote:
Ah My Goddess isn't a kid's show! There's enough gratuitous TNA and not enough compelling story to make up for it, its like a soap opera for teenage boys to wank off to. I always thought Simoun and Tenchi Muyo were also like that, but I never saw them.
Maybe not for little kids, but is far from being a "grown ups" show. There is hardly any T and A in it at all. Have we seen the same anime?

Be Kind

Last edited by ape descendant; 06-03-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Yes, I am a silly girl.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Scabette

I have watched very few animes, they're mostly my geeky Mister's thing, but Elfen Lied is one of the best things I have ever seen. Oh, and thanks for the good recommendations, I might download these so I have something to suggest when he says 'let's watch Shuffle.'

Deargod I hate Shuffle so much.
Scabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

Wow. I just realized how little I know about anime.
When I lived with a friend of mine for a year and a half, I watched a few things with her that I thought were okay, all from Adults Swim I think.

We watched Inuyasha, Wolf's Rain, Fooly Cooly (?), Trigun, Dot Hack Sign (????), Witch Hunter Robin, Cardcaptor Sakura, Lupin III, Cowboy Bebop, and some others. Paradise Kiss, Bleach, Death Note...

Um, and I've seen a lot of Miyazaki films?????

I fail at nerd-dom.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
JCC

Fooly Cooly's great.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
Saya

I liked Witch Hunter Robin!

Quote:
Dubbed?!?! I watch it in Japanese. I've never seen the dubbed version. The original Vampire Hunter D is classic, and IMO should be watched before Bloodlust.
I couldn't find a pirate of the original Japanese, but the author of the books didn't like it so much anyway, they changed D into a cold hearted fugly man, when in the book he really did like that chick, was pretty warm towards her and even kissed her and intended to sleep with her but they were interrupted by an angry mob. He's supposed to be gorgeous which Bloodlust really did well. And what the movie couldn't redeem was the most annoying of any of D's many many many unrequited loves. It wasn't the greatest book to base it on, even though it was the first.

Quote:
Maybe not for little kids, but is far from being a "grown ups" show. There is hardly any T and A in it at all. Have we seen the same anime?
We did see the race car driving with the highly random shots of boobs and thongs, right? Or Urd forcing someone to grope her tits?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
JethroAranas

Naruto Shippuuden all seasons.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
Heretic

Agreed on Witch Hunter Robin; great atmosphere and a deep story.

My recommendations (including personal favorites) are:

Series
~~~~~
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (The Laughing Man)
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd. Gig (The Individual Eleven)

(These two series take Blade Runner's question of what it means to be human in the midst of advances in technology and runs with it. No other series has done Cyberpunk nearly as well as these)

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Witch Hunter Robin

Feature-length movies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Grave of the Fireflies

(Easily the greatest anime movie ever made, soul-crushing in its greatness. As Roger Ebert said, ""Grave of the Fireflies" is an emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation)

- Only Yesterday

(A note on Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies. Hayao Miyazaki gets all the press in the US for movies like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Movie Castle. Those are very good, but these are better. Isao Takahata is the director whose films I feel have the stronger emotional impact)

- Tokyo Godfathers

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #21
Pineapple_Juice

Oh! I remember Ghost in the Shell!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
tears

actully there is a great anime movie "princess mononoke" and of cuors "Howl's Moving Castle " as triggerhappi26 said ^^
tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
ape descendant

Quote:
I liked Witch Hunter Robin!

I couldn't find a pirate of the original Japanese, but the author of the books didn't like it so much anyway, they changed D into a cold hearted fugly man, when in the book he really did like that chick, was pretty warm towards her and even kissed her and intended to sleep with her but they were interrupted by an angry mob. He's supposed to be gorgeous which Bloodlust really did well. And what the movie couldn't redeem was the most annoying of any of D's many many many unrequited loves. It wasn't the greatest book to base it on, even though it was the first.
He wasn't "fugly" in the original movie. *sniff* I thought he was pretty hot. And he did like her.. he just didn't want to break her heart.. I mean really, he wanders around from place to place fighting and brawling with random vampires and people... I had always thought that he wanted her to be safe and happy so he didn't start building a relationship with her...

Damn I'm such a nerd.. I've seen that movie a ton.. it was the first anime I ever saw and later purchased.

Quote:
We did see the race car driving with the highly random shots of boobs and thongs, right? Or Urd forcing someone to grope her tits?
Oh come on.. that shit is standard in any decent anime. Its fanservice for people who like boobies. But really, they don't really show anything worth mentioning. It is far from "adult".

Be Kind
Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
Saya

Quote:
He wasn't "fugly" in the original movie. *sniff* I thought he was pretty hot. And he did like her.. he just didn't want to break her heart.. I mean really, he wanders around from place to place fighting and brawling with random vampires and people... I had always thought that he wanted her to be safe and happy so he didn't start building a relationship with her...

Damn I'm such a nerd.. I've seen that movie a ton.. it was the first anime I ever saw and later purchased.
He does that Star Wars thing, when she says "I love you" he just says "I know," and in the book he kisses her and is torn about what to do. I mean, he agreed that as payment for getting rid of the vampire she'll fuck him, in the novel while they don't end up doing it its very apparent that he wants too and they nearly do before being interrupted by an angry mob. In the movie its mentioned at the beginning and thats it. And yeah, the author of the book had misgivings towards his character design because he wasn't beautiful, Bloodlust fixed that at least.

Quote:

Oh come on.. that shit is standard in any decent anime. Its fanservice for people who like boobies. But really, they don't really show anything worth mentioning. It is far from "adult".
Uh, no. Actually the anime I love the most doesn't have to give tits and ass shots as fanservice to be "decent". Its not adult as in its not hentai, but its a nonsensical moe seinen anime geared towards adult men.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
Angelic Dissonance

Higurashi has an amazing theme song.

Paranoia Agent..... is THE

SHIT. It was INCREDIBLE.

It was more surreal than the anime version of Pink Floyd: The Wall would be.

I like Cowboy Bebop--but what was with the episode with the deadly food in fridge? Maybe I was just tired, but GOD, I was so confused... and I couldn't stop laughing...

Ghost in The Shell is really good, but if you don't watch the season from its beginning, it may be hard to understand what's going on. It reminds me of NCIS, though. Which is a good thing.

Air Gear is the funniest, most action-packed shit.... It's much funnier than Bleach. Less violent.... but it is about roller blades. FLYING roller blades that make you cooler than Batman.

There were these anime shorts about Batman on cartoon network once, they were cool.

It's not anime, but has anyone seen Dr. Strange? THAT was cool.

I only got to see one episode of Xenosaga.

I've seen some cool anime, but I can't remember them all.....

Gurren Lugan is very cool, it has old-school Toriyama-style cartoon animation.

I <3 Akira Toriyama

Inuyasha makes me cry. Fuck you. I first saw it in 5th grade, and I was hooked. Immediately. It's Kikyo.... her story is so tragic, and the whole series is very romantic, while still being freaking awesome action-packed non-stop demon-slaying violence, with a complex storyline and plenty of humor thrown in.

I <3 Rumiko Takahashi

Gokusen is good, but I haven't seen too much... same with Witchblade.
I enjoyed Deathnote, and Bleach too, but it got less fun with no hollows.
"Fooly Cooly" is written FLCL, and I feel sad to say I haven't actually seen it.
Big O: Giant robots, YAY!!!!!

As for movies, I've seen Appleseed, Akira, whatever comes on cable late at night... Street Fighter Alpha II, both parts of whatever movie that was with the robot demons and the guy with the robot-suit. I was very confused by that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Ghost aliens from a parallel dimension...?

I don't need to mention Howl, or Spirited away. They were great. Of course you've seen them.

I WANT TO SEE DANTE'S INFERNO!!!!!!!
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote