Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
KontanKarite

Jazz?

Yeah. So who is your favorite Jazz musician?

I don't exactly have a favorite or am I even an authority on the subject, but Ian Bellamay and Adam Nussbaum are pretty sweet. I'm still not sure if Ian is actually a jazz composer or what. His stuff sounds slightly electronic, slightly bossa nova, and slightly jazz.

So yes. Discuss maybe. This weekend, I'm hitting up this jazz bar in my neighborhood. It's going to be super nice.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
CIRQUEFREAK91

Nice. Finally a decent blog. I like Herby Hancock. I wish could play jazz but i can only play classical. Hope you had a good 'chill' at that club.
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
vindicatedxjin

If you like electronicky jazz...you should listen to this dude St. Germain
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
KontanKarite

Well that's nice.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Alan

There's a huge difference between a song being "jazzy" and a song being Jazz.
My absolute favorite jazz singer is Ella Fitzgerald.
Composer and arranger, Goodman, followed by Miller.
Trumpet player, Miles Davis.
Saxophone player, that's where it gets tricky. I try to emulate David Murray and have the highest admiration for Sonny Stitt, but the good recordings of Lester Young are the single best swing songs in existence, Dexter Gordon does not have one single bad song, and John Coltrane is unambiguously the best sax player when he's not trying to sound too avant garde that it just doesn't sound good.
On that train of thought, you might look into John Zorn. Naked City if you want experimental jazz but avoid his screamo songs (yes, screamo), or the Masada Project if you want something more middle eastern.
I'm not mentioning Ben Webster nor Don Byas because even though they're good I got tired of them.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
JCC

Naked City don't do screamo, they do grindcore.

Anyways, I like free jazz the most so I usually listen to shit like Ornette Coleman, late John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Albert Ayler, Sun Ra, John Zorn, Noah Howard, Archie Shepp, Evan Parker, Pharoah Sanders, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus etc. but I listen to all kinds of jazz really. Except smooth jazz, fuck smooth jazz.

(vindicatedxjin is right by the way, St. Germain is worth listening to.)
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

I recently got into jazz, and I think it's fantastic. I like Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, and Louis Armstrong.

There are more but I can't remember. Right now I'm just into the basics.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
KontanKarite

Yeah, I went to the 55 bar downtown, saw Adam Nussbaum and his crew play a set and was mesmerized. After that, I've been really interested in getting into this more. In fact, I'm thinking about hitting up St. Nick's Pub tonight. It's supposed to be a badass jazz bar in Harlem.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

Wow.
I can't believe I forgot Cab Calloway. Despite recently getting into jazz, I've loved Cab for a while now.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Naked City don't do screamo, they do grindcore.
That's true; sorry, I know almost nothing about that part of his music.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
vx cheerleader 69

Well, where do I begin... I've always been a lot into jazz, jazz-rock, jazz-oriented stuff. So... Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, ARchie Shepp, Max Roach, Jan Garbarek, Michel Portal, the noisiest records by Pat Metheny, John Mc Laughlin, "classic stuff" from the early jazz eras... when it comes to "that's not jazz, dude" : Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, Robert Wyatt, King Crimson, Bohren Und Der Klub Of Gore, Borbetomagos ; and when it comes to "how dare you even call this jazzy" : Foetus, Bone Orchard...

Actually I even have my own "voodoo cabaret jazz band", "Le Cabaret De L'Impasse", having lots of fun with this one.
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Felreaper

Ohhhhh, I looove jazz.

I'm mainly listening to John Coltrane and Charles Mingus at this point.
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx cheerleader 69 View Post
Well, where do I begin... I've always been a lot into jazz, jazz-rock, jazz-oriented stuff. So... Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, ARchie Shepp, Max Roach, Jan Garbarek, Michel Portal, the noisiest records by Pat Metheny, John Mc Laughlin, "classic stuff" from the early jazz eras... when it comes to "that's not jazz, dude" : Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, Robert Wyatt, King Crimson, Bohren Und Der Klub Of Gore, Borbetomagos ; and when it comes to "how dare you even call this jazzy" : Foetus, Bone Orchard...

Actually I even have my own "voodoo cabaret jazz band", "Le Cabaret De L'Impasse", having lots of fun with this one.
Cheerleader, you are so cool. I wanna be your friend.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Saya

Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday are my favourite singers, and I would say Sun Ra was my favourite composer.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday are my favourite singers, and I would say Sun Ra was my favourite composer.
How the hell did I forget Sun Ra in my list ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Cheerleader, you are so cool. I wanna be your friend.
Actually, I'm NOT cool. But we can be friends.

For those interested :

http://www.myspace.com/lecabaretdelimpasse

(if you like what you hear there : we have full gigs for download on the internet, just ask me)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
Sinjob

VX-THAT COVER OF RED RIGHT HAND WAS KILLER.

Thank you for that link. You're extremely talented.

Gotta love jazz. Glad to see someone mentioned Naked City (the SHIT) but sad to see no one mentioned Thelonius Monk. The first times I heard both of em I had to press replay twice and say, "huh?"
That's usually a good sign with anything musical.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
VX-THAT COVER OF RED RIGHT HAND WAS KILLER.

Thank you for that link. You're extremely talented.
wow, thank you. Actually this whole "Cabaret" project is just about playing songs we like and trying to have maximum fun... It's good to see people enjoy it. If you want more, here's a complete recorded gig (live at La Ley Seca, Zaragoza, Spain) : http://punishyourself.free.fr/Zaragoza/ Features songs by Tom Waits, Foetus/Wiseblood, Soft Cell, Kurt Weill, The Cure, Morphine, Coil, Pink Floyd...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
Swest

Jazz is one of my favorite genres of music, I listen to it on a regular basis.

A few of my favorites include Eric Dolphy, Art Blakey, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck, Paul Chambers, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans Trio, John Coltrane, Jim Hall, Thelonious Monk, and John Coltrane.

I also enjoy Fusion Jazz such as Jaga Jazzist, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Bohren & der Club of Gore, Naked City, and the Art Ensemble of Chicago.
Swest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #19
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swest View Post
A few of my favorites include Eric Dolphy, Art Blakey, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck, Paul Chambers, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans Trio, John Coltrane, Jim Hall, Thelonious Monk, and John Coltrane.
You can't go wrong with such a list
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #20
rockonyx

Hi. New guy. Charlie Parker takes the top spot. Hands down the best saxophonist ever. Coltrane takes a good second, but when you hear The Bird play, you just say, "Wow". My favorite pianist is Thelonius Monk. Trumpet goes to Miles, but mostly his earlier work. My favorite modern composers are Yasushi Ishii and Yoshimori Makoto.
rockonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #21
ape descendant

Scott Joplin and Winifred Atwell.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #22
CuckooTuli

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. Those I haven't heard of will be duly downloaded - thanks.

Quote:
(if you like what you hear there : we have full gigs for download on the internet, just ask me)
Yes please!
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
Yes please!
so here we go :

http://punishyourself.free.fr/huesca (live @ Juan Sebastian Bar, Huesca, Spain)

http://punishyourself.free.fr/Zaragoza/ (live @ La Ley Seca, Zaragoza, Spain) (the whole gig as a two parts archive : http://punishyourself.free.fr/Zarago...eySecaSet1.rar - http://punishyourself.free.fr/Zarago...eySecaSet2.rar)

(I still have to upload some stuff, and get the recording a friend made of our latest gig in France, the end of this one was absolutely crazy)

Not everything on this live stuff is good, there are some epic fails, but there are some good moments. I'll have to listen again to all this and sort the good and the bad... But I'm too lazy.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
Sinjob

Quote:
wow, thank you. Actually this whole "Cabaret" project is just about playing songs we like and trying to have maximum fun... It's good to see people enjoy it. If you want more, here's a complete recorded gig (live at La Ley Seca, Zaragoza, Spain) : http://punishyourself.free.fr/Zaragoza/ Features songs by Tom Waits, Foetus/Wiseblood, Soft Cell, Kurt Weill, The Cure, Morphine, Coil, Pink Floyd...
That's just all around good taste.

And just sayin' cuz I've been listening to it over and over again for the past week, Tom Waits' Rain Dogs is one of the greatest records of all time.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
And just sayin' cuz I've been listening to it over and over again for the past week, Tom Waits' Rain Dogs is one of the greatest records of all time.
Word.

kjnhlzcgh

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote