Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Duffy

I'm horrible at dressing myself XD Help!

Could you help a girl out?
I've always admired the goth look, since I was in Elementary. But I have very strict parents and they wouldn't even let me wear eye liner until I was 15, let alone buy clothing to make me look the part. They said that people who dress that way were freaks. Crushed, I threw those thoughts out the window, and dressed in the cutesy outfits they chose for me. Recently I turned 18 and my parents are actually letting me dye my hair, dress how I want, and even get piercings. Holy $h#t, my mind was blown. A few weeks ago, while walking in town I saw a couple dressed in this gothic victorian style. They look so interesting and the girl was so beautiful. And all of a sudden my old self came back. I'm still in love with gothic clothing styles. Not just victorian, all of it. But I don't know where to start! Clothing? I live in the south. So that victorian couple was obviously insane for dressing so heavily in 90+ degrees weather. And where do you even buy those kinds of stuff? Would jeans work? Sigh. I'm hopeless at this.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Acharis

I wouldn't overthink or feel the need for elaborate brand name clothes.

I live in black jeans and t shirts unless I'm going to a club, I highly recommend t shirts for ease of washing.
If it's hot it might be better to go to the opshop and find a black dress/skirt.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Duffy

Thank you for the advice, Acharis. 60% of my wardrobe is t shirts and jeans. I'm glad I won't have to change much. No one wants to look sweaty and miserable in a costume.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
MissCheyenne

Not to sound patronizing but you're 18, you have plenty of time to find your style. Start small, pick up little bits and pieces, a necklace, a scarf something like that, gradually introduce things. Find a set of colours you like and hunt down basic skirts, dresses, jeans and tees in those colours. Find a style of shoes or boots you like and buy those. Don't try to go 'all out' all at once because it looks silly, your own personal style will develop gradually. God, I sound so old! Seriously though, building slowly is the best way, it will save you from a lot of embarrassing outfits and potential arguments with your folks.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Versus

Damn it. I thought this was my chance to give fashion advice.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Acharis

Yeah. Some of the items I've bought have had a lot of wear but others I got tired of and gave away.
Get basics that fit and suit first, and then when you have an idea what you like you can drop a bit more money on a fancier item to dress them up.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote