Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Dovahkiin

Not Pale, Not Goth?

I told a friend of mine today I was tired of having the skin color of paper. I told him I was going to start tanning. He told me if I did I would't count as goth. How do I explain to her that skin color has nothing to do with being goth?
Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
AshleyO

Christ. Can you do any better than goth or do you LIKE conforming to their aesthetics like some kind of sheep?

Fuck goth. Get laid, son. There's cooler shit out there than looking like an idiot.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Dovahkiin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Christ. Can you do any better than goth or do you LIKE conforming to their aesthetics like some kind of sheep?

Fuck goth. Get laid, son. There's cooler shit out there than looking like an idiot.
If you don't like goths why are you here?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
AshleyO

You know... I actually LIKE some of the people here. They've gone beyond the teenage fantasies of sticking it to the man with their Tripp pants and black nails and kinda became a person of substance.

You really should try to do the same.

Also, just to let you know, it'd be in your best interest not to argue about this. You wont find anyone who's going to side with you for the most part.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Dovahkiin

Quote:
You know... I actually LIKE some of the people here. They've gone beyond the teenage fantasies of sticking it to the man with their Tripp pants and black nails and kinda became a person of substance. You really should try to do the same.
That isn't what I'm doing. You don't know me and should't make assumptions. You are on a gothic forum and you are saying fuck goth we look like idiots? What do you get from this site? I don't need anyone to take my side. I'm completely capable of standing up against ignorance.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
AshleyO

Get a tan then. The fuck do you care who thinks your goth?

You know what? You've got a guilty conscience.

You're faking this shit. The fact that it MATTERS to you that your friend still thinks you're a goth after burning up your skin is what your problem is.

Since when did Goth ever affect any kind of thing with substance?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Dovahkiin

Are you blind? You obviously did not read my orignal post. I never said I was bothered by what she thought about it. I asked how do I properly explain to her that skin tone has nothing to do with it.

Exactly what am I faking? I dress and act according what what I feel, nothing fake about that.

I still don't understand if you don't like goths why the fuck are you here? This is a gothic website, with a gothic community, I asked for advice, not unintelligent smart ass comments.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
AshleyO

Dude.... you're posting about a topic that tries to rationalize goth.

Again, WHY does it matter to you as to what your friend thinks is goth?

WHO. GIVES. A. ROLLING. FUCK?

If you really didn't give a damn about what your friend thought, the appropriate response to not being considered goth cause you've tanned yourself to alligator skin would be, "Mmm. That's too bad. I guess I'm not goth anymore."

March the fuck on, dude. This isn't a real bother. So why do you care?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Exactly what am I faking? I dress and act according what what I feel, nothing fake about that.
Tell your friend this.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Alan

Quote:
WHO. GIVES. A. ROLLING. FUCK?
No. Tell your friend this.

Poser.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
I told a friend of mine today I was tired of having the skin color of paper. I told him I was going to start tanning. He told me if I did I would't count as goth. How do I explain to her that skin color has nothing to do with being goth?
If skin color had anything to do with being a goth, we wouldn't have black goths. "I'm so goth, my skin turned black" That just popped up in my head.

Goth or not however, I just don't get the whole tanning craze really, why do people like changing their skin to something darker? But I say this from the perspective of someone of half Colombian descent who has naturally tan skin.

But if you do REALLY want to get a tan, you had better not use a tanning bed or booth, I just think the use of those is just completely idiotic.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Grausamkeit

I think I got a slight hint of color from riding my bike....I r no longer goff!!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Goth or not however, I just don't get the whole tanning craze really, why do people like changing their skin to something darker? But I say this from the perspective of someone of half Colombian descent who has naturally tan skin.
I don't really understand getting all worked up about it either way. Laying around in the sun doing nothing just to change your skin tone is silly. Staying inside all the time or covering yourself in chemicals and developing vitamin D deficiency while trying not to change it is equally so.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
I think I got a slight hint of color from riding my bike....I r no longer goff!!

Yeah, well you lost your goff card when you stopped being depressed enough to ride a bike. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I don't really understand getting all worked up about it either way. Laying around in the sun doing nothing just to change your skin tone is silly. Staying inside all the time or covering yourself in chemicals and developing vitamin D deficiency while trying not to change it is equally so.
Not having a tan doesn't necessarily mean that someone stays inside all of the time or covers themselves with chemicals. I am as pale as pale can be and I go outside everyday - I just wear sensible clothing and use an umbrella. I don't have a Vitamin D deficiency. I also don't do it out of any sort of aesthetic motivation... I just don't want skin cancer.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I'm not saying it's wrong to develop a tan through normal outdoor activity.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Ben Lahnger

Quote:

No, you just need to get the seat adjusted.

Quote:
I told a friend of mine today I was tired of having beer the color of piss. I told him I was going to start drinking stout. He told me if I did it would't count as beer. How do I explain to her that beer color has nothing to do with being tasty?
There, that's more interesting. Although, I was going to fix the gender-switched pronoun at the end, but decided to leave it.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Not having a tan doesn't necessarily mean that someone stays inside all of the time or covers themselves with chemicals. I am as pale as pale can be and I go outside everyday - I just wear sensible clothing and use an umbrella. I don't have a Vitamin D deficiency. I also don't do it out of any sort of aesthetic motivation... I just don't want skin cancer.
I agree that there is a difference between being pale and being obsessed with being pale. I am extremely fair-skinned - it's next to impossible for me to find foundation because with most, the lightest shade is still a couple times too dark to blend with my skin. But I don't go out of my way to avoid sunlight (by staying indoors or in the shade), nor do I use chemical barriers. Skin cancer is actually a lot more likely to develop after a few severe burns than it is through regular, reasonable sun exposure (which actually protects against cancer). I just think it's silly to devote any significant energy to cultivating a particular complexion either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I'm not saying it's wrong to develop a tan through normal outdoor activity.
Oh I know... I was just commenting on the general preoccupation you mentioned. Adding to your comment, not contradicting it.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
Grausamkeit

Yeah, I really DO need to get the seat adjusted before I end up black and blue.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #19
Catch

I remember when I stopped tanning. It wasn't to look creepy, it was because of all the scary information about skin cancer and UV Rays. It made sense to avoid sunlight whenever possible; however, scientists found out that sunlight kills certain types of bacteria people ingest. Some strands are deadly to people in large amounts, but no one ever noticed because getting some sun isn't too uncommon. Weighing out the options, tanning is important enough to risk a sun burn.

So many people quit tanning, it became like the New Goth Look. However, I never thought I was a vampire.

As for naturally darker skin comment, I had a friend with a dark complexion and lack of sunlight causes various affects on skin tone. In the past, those characteristics, graying and so-on, would also be highlighted as preferred traits; however, the days of cancer paranoia are over and I am glad.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Um, I don't know about the blue ... but wouldn't the black make you MORE goff?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #21
wolf moon

Quote:
Sometimes, the blonde gets in the way of my thought processes. So I read this, then sat here for a minute trying to figure out how an ill-adjusted seat would cause spontaneous bruising. Then I figured it out. Totally got this now.

My dad used to tell me that uncomfortable bike seats were better for you. But he was a professional cyclist, and therefore pretty obsessed with some pretty silly aspects of riding. He also lies a lot.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
Grausamkeit

Uncomfortable seats keep you from sitting, therefore ensuring a better workout for your lower body. I'm not a pro so I need to sit sometimes. Riding a bike is not my preferred method for getting black and blue marks on my ass.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #23
wolf moon

It was something about building muscle... your butt getting harder so the hard seat wouldn't bruise, I think. I didn't pay a lot of attention. Cyclists have a lot of theories about a lot of things, most of them silly and/or extreme.

If they want to keep themselves from sitting, they usually just remove the seat and post altogether. Although my dad rode mountain bikes, not road bikes, so he never went that far. Getting hit in the ass with a metal pole while landing a jump would probably make you wish you were dead.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Grausamkeit

I've found that mountain bikes are far more durable for how I ride than regular bikes. I need to replace mine soon since the shifters stick.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
† ÐJ Ðårk †

My soul, feelings and viewpoint of life seem to be gothic. In summertime, I get some tan (it's almost impossible to avoid that here, this is a VERY sunny place). I don't wear leathers/boots in summertime. Basically, I don't give a fuck about what people think about my look or my musics. Not my business. "Authenticity" it's just a sign of stupidity, IMHO.
† ÐJ Ðårk † is offline   Reply With Quote