Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #26
Tea and Cake or Death

I saw this on the news. It's fucked up to say the least. I mean, I don't know if I'd even care if the guy did classify as nuts. Poor kid.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:07 AM   #27
Wednesday Friday Addams

He is mentally fucked up.
I was going to put a dead baby joke up....
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #28
NotLostNow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Whats this 'we' stuff? As per our discussion in another thread here and in the politics section, only America kills people. Europe, Australia, and pretty much all of the rest of the first world rank state sponsored executions up there with murder.
It is murder. Legal murder, that usually costs more, monetarily, in the long run than a life prison sentence. What kind of punishment would microwaveman have received in your neck of the world? Would it have been comparible to 25 years? I am just happy that they did decide to do something besides declare him insane and say it is not his fault because he's not mentally competent to take person responsibility.
NotLostNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
prophecyofdoom

*sigh* That's so awful. That poor child, she probably has brain damage. Evil knows no bounds. That's not the first case I've heard of this either, several months back I stumbled across a story of a woman who did that to her baby. I hate people

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Whats this 'we' stuff? As per our discussion in another thread here and in the politics section, only America kills people. Europe, Australia, and pretty much all of the rest of the first world rank state sponsored executions up there with murder.
I'm starting to think that I may be becoming more and more ashamed of my country every passing year. Out of curiosity, do these sorts of atrocious events occur in European countries?
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:28 AM   #31
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
I'm starting to think that I may be becoming more and more ashamed of my country every passing year. Out of curiosity, do these sorts of atrocious events occur in European countries?
Not really and definitely not as often. You might see a serial killer once in rare while, and you might see a murder here the shocks because of the circumstances, but nothing like this.

In fact, if you look at murder around the world, American cities lead all other first world cities.

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

More people are killed by handguns in New York City alone than are murdered by all means in all of Europe in a year.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #32
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLostNow
It is murder. Legal murder, that usually costs more, monetarily, in the long run than a life prison sentence. What kind of punishment would microwaveman have received in your neck of the world? Would it have been comparible to 25 years?

Ireland? Life in prison without the possibility of early release (parole as you would call it in America). Thats standard for any murder, or other heinous crime, and this would have rocked the nation as stuff like this never happens. We had like 11 murders total in our country for the year of 2007 I think it was.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #33
NotLostNow

And what are prisons like there, is it actually a punishment, or is it relatively cushy like here in the US, 3 free meals, a warm bed, cable tv, libraries, computers, and the internet?
NotLostNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #34
Pye

Quote:
And what are prisons like there, is it actually a punishment, or is it relatively cushy like here in the US, 3 free meals, a warm bed, cable tv, libraries, computers, and the internet?
Sure. One fellow even called a national radio station from his mobile. Not forgetting the wee budgie!

But that's only the stuff they're not supposed to have.

Quote:
Ireland? Life in prison without the possibility of early release (parole as you would call it in America). Thats standard for any murder, or other heinous crime, and this would have rocked the nation as stuff like this never happens. We had like 11 murders total in our country for the year of 2007 I think it was.
In 2007 it was more like 84. Look it up, I can't post links.

The average life sentence in Ireland equates to 15 years actually served.
Pye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 AM   #35
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye
In 2007 it was more like 84. Look it up, I can't post links.

The average life sentence in Ireland equates to 15 years actually served.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0312/crime.html?rss

78 total, a 25% increase from 2006. It was like 50 some odd in 2006. In total - 150 gun murders that have taken place since 1997.

Also, life is what you get for murder, there is no early release for murders here. I don't know where you getting 15 years from unless you quoting American standards which parole murders after 15 years.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #36
Pye

78 is quite a lot more then 11 as you said previously.

Quote:
We had like 11 murders total in our country for the year of 2007 I think it was.
American standards don't come into it. I live in Ireland, not America. Prisoners serving life here rarely stay in prison for life. According to other sources my average is too a little high even, it's possibly closer to 12 years max served in prison.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #37
Zomboi

This is a horrendous act of child abuse. Getting placed in an asylum should not be considered some easy option out. Often once you’re in such establishments they can keep you there as long as the state sees fit.
Zomboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #38
Wormboy

Quote:
It is murder. Legal murder, that usually costs more, monetarily.
$80 for the medicine in the lethal injection procedure
$10,000 a year at least to keep someone in prison.

Yeah, it's way more expensive to kill the monsters. >_>

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #39
GothicChristian

Quote:
Do you get off on attempting to make America look like the most terrible place on Earth?
I said nothing of everyone killing people, I said killing animals. Most countries put animals down for injuring humans. You really need to quit trying to twist my words.
You try to turn every thread into a bunch of anti-American garbage. I can't stand you or anyone like you!
You're the type of person that, if I ever saw you in real life, I'd probably punch you. You need to get a life that doesn't involve spewing garbage.
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #40
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicChristian
Do you get off on attempting to make America look like the most terrible place on Earth?
I said nothing of everyone killing people, I said killing animals. Most countries put animals down for injuring humans. You really need to quit trying to twist my words.
You try to turn every thread into a bunch of anti-American garbage. I can't stand you or anyone like you!
You're the type of person that, if I ever saw you in real life, I'd probably punch you. You need to get a life that doesn't involve spewing garbage.
He usually posts accurate articles and heavily biased commentary. He shits on the United States more than anyone I've personally ever heard, but he makes good points at times. We're not in the best country love.

Besides, it's useless to try to get him to stop.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #41
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
He usually posts accurate articles and heavily biased commentary. He shits on the United States more than anyone I've personally ever heard, but he makes good points at times. We're not in the best country love.

Besides, it's useless to try to get him to stop.
The key phrase being "at times".

I know we're not the best country, but we aren't the worst.

I sometimes wonder if he's actually from East Germany and just pretending to be Irish.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #42
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
$80 for the medicine in the lethal injection procedure
$10,000 a year at least to keep someone in prison.

Yeah, it's way more expensive to kill the monsters. >_>
That's putting a price on someone's life. Next thing we know you'll say $100 to buy the prisoners and have them work your fields.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #43
CptSternn

Quote:
I can't stand you or anyone like you!
You're the type of person that, if I ever saw you in real life, I'd probably punch you.
Is this the proper Christian response?

WWJD?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #44
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
He's not wrong, though. We ARE the only first-world country with the death penalty, and I think we're the only country in the world aside from China and a few in the Middle East which uses the death penalty on minors.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #45
GothicChristian

Quote:
Is this the proper Christian response?

WWJD?
Jesus loves you, but I think you're a jerk.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #46
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
He's not wrong, though. We ARE the only first-world country with the death penalty, and I think we're the only country in the world aside from China and a few in the Middle East which uses the death penalty on minors.
When did minors come into this?
America doesn't use the death penalty on minors. We rarely use the death penalty on anyone, because people think it's a better idea to let them spend 12-20 years in a place where they get meals, beds, and all sorts of other things paid for by the people who pay taxes (that'd be most of you, right?) and then send them back into society to kill or whatever more people.
Yeah, that's a brilliant idea.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #47
Pye

Quote:
He does make some good points I'll grant him that. It's just the way he compares everywhere to Ireland that gets me. Not to mention the way he manages to mangle the facts on the way.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #48
GothicChristian

This thread has also been thread-jacked, oops. That's probably my fault.

Okay, back on topic, this guy is terrible and should, at the very least, have a longer sentence.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #49
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
That's putting a price on someone's life. Next thing we know you'll say $100 to buy the prisoners and have them work your fields.
I'm sorry but once someone up and KILLS another human being for no reason, I stop caring about that persons rights. Once you break the easiest law to follow, you can NOT be trusted in society.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #50
Wormboy

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if he's actually from East Germany and just pretending to be Irish.
Actually he's from America and pretending to be Irish ^_^