Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Noumi

Question Why is your name __________ ?

Do you have any idea why your parents decided to put you the name you carry today ?

My real name isn't Noumi
My parents named me Pilar (ou...I didn't wanna say it, but anyway ) because I was born the day of a saint called like that....

Just lame....
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Delkaetre

Mine gave me my RL name because no one else in our family had it. They were very careful, because they didn't want to be seen as favouring one branch of the family over any other. We feud a lot, comes of being Irish.
Funny, my name means 'light' or 'the bright one'. I can't think of anyone who avoids sources of strong light more avidly than I do.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
(heartofflames)

If you really want to know, my original name was Jane, after the character Jane Eyre, but my parents changed it to Jacqueline after Jacqueline Kennedy died the same year I was born. I'm supposed to "channel" her.

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Wormboy

I'm named after my adopted grandfather.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
AngelikDemonik

My real name isn't Cybil, it's Deana--Said like Dee-NUH.

I was named after my grandfather, Dean. Apparently, the spelling of my name is the Irish version of it.

As for Cybil...I just like that name.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
badteccy

I was named after a street.
I shit you not...my name is Kerri, btw.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Minyaliel

I was named after Santa. No kidding...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Vexik

My name is Michael, and I'm named after a British carpenter with whom my mother and grandmother are good friends. He's a great guy, very mischievous and prone to absent-mindedness.

I am very well named in that respect.
Vexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
korinna5555

I was named after Kevin Keegan.. a GUY soccer player.. >_>
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
KontanKarite

I was named Joshua. Not really any reason for it, except for maybe because it means "Obedient to the lord", which is very ironic because I'm just about everything BUT that.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
psyches_reflection

My real name is Laura, which is derived from 'laurel wreath', 'laurel tree' etc.

My mother wanted to call me Samantha, but there was already a Sam in the family. My father chose this name because it seemed to suit me - that's how all of my siblings were named. When we were born, my father would look us over and say, "Hmmm. Yep. This one's....."
Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
drewsilla

My parents went the easy way out and named me Becky. Not Rebecca, Becca or anything like that--just Becky. Then they thought that Ann would go great with it, so I was blessed with the county name of Becky Ann. Just swell.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
BLEED REBELION!!!

My mother named me Amani which means peace in Swahili and wishes in Arabic. If you translate my whole name to english it means Peace flower love..

Im lucky I suppose She wanted to name my sister "sativa" which is a type of marijuana...

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
DarkPrayer

Location: In a place covered in darkness but filled with only good people
My name is Sofie, which means Wisdom. I don't have much when it comes to grades (except English). Otherwise, I make wise life choices. No drugs, stealing, no more violence, no drinking, no hanging out with the wrong people... Sofie however, is my nickname which EVERYONE (yes, EVERYONE) has called me. My real name (Natalia) is on my ID, and Passport, but I am never called that. I have no idea what it means.

This is the first post I have made in a week.
DarkPrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #15
spoon!

I was named after my mom's uncle, Cedric, who died when he was still a kid. Th reason given was that he was born on December 8 and I was born on September 8, and also that when I was a baby, I eerily looked like him (looking at pictures, I can really see a resemblance).

The meaning of my name is leader, "kindly and loved" (Welsh) and is apparently derived from Ivanhoem which is I suppose the leader aspect comes from. Under the right circumstances I have shown leadership abilities that even I wasn't aware of, but I much prefer being in the back assessing the situation than out front, a pattern I've had all my life.

It's still a minor annoyance on how many people pronounce my name: "Sedrick" and "Cedrick" are two of the more popular (my most hated misappropriation of my name was Cedricka, which got me into more than one fight in school). I used to also hate how my name wasn't considered "cool", but over time people did shorten it to Ced or, to my family, Ceddy.

My friends will occasionally call me Ceddy Bear, just to rib on me.
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Mine gave me my RL name because no one else in our family had it. They were very careful, because they didn't want to be seen as favouring one branch of the family over any other. We feud a lot, comes of being Irish.
Funny, my name means 'light' or 'the bright one'. I can't think of anyone who avoids sources of strong light more avidly than I do.
Maybe you're a very outgoing person who brightens up the dark points in the lives of others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsilla
My parents went the easy way out and named me Becky. Not Rebecca, Becca or anything like that--just Becky. Then they thought that Ann would go great with it, so I was blessed with the county name of Becky Ann. Just swell.
That name sounds more fitting for two people not one.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
MollyMac

Mom decided on Tracy because it's less old fashioned than my dad's choice of Tabitha Sarah. Also, Tabitha was the name of the child witch in Bewitched and my mother is weird about such things.

I was called "Donnie" a lot as a child as I resembed her, my great aunt who dies in the flu pandemic of 1917, in my grandmother's mind that was succumbing to age. She also called me "sis". But her accent was so old continent and isolated rural that she said "Donnie" but my friends heard "Molly".

I now go by Miss Jackson, if you're nasty.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #18
Beneath the Shadows

I was named after an uncle. Or so I was told.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #19
Graveyard.Crow

My name is Alissa
because my brother read Alice in wonderland in Russian the year I was born, and Alice in Russian is Alissa.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #20
Godslayer Jillian

They were thinking of calling me Alan after an actor who said Alan means handsome. But my mother decided to call me Andres.
Bless my father that told the hospital to change my name to Alan without telling my mother until it was too late to change it back. :P

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
DepthsofSpace

My first name has no story behind it. It means 'maker of tiles', how boring.

My middle name however, that has a story. It was my mother's uncle's name, who died in a.. Well, they called it a swimming accident, when he was 18.

He was a champion swimmer, and he was swimming across a lake in Texas like he often did when he drowned. He was being followed by his best friend in a row boat.

Interesting fact was, him and his friend were in a bit of a tiff ove my great-uncle's girlfriend, who his friend had fallen in love with as well.

When they finally recovered his body, it had an odd lump on it. No investigation was carried out and it was deemed an accident. His friend began dating my late great-uncle's girlfriend a few months later and they latter married.

Anyone else smell foul play?

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #22
Nevan

My real name's Marié - named after my French uncle who was very close to my parents - he was on his death bed around the time I was born so I guess they wanted to remember him in that way.

Bugs the crap out of me, really. My sisters got Italian names (my dad's Italian), and I would have loved to be a part of the heritage at least.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 AM   #23
disorder

Kathryn - one translation means 'pure' and another means 'torture'. Wooooo. Nice one there, mum.

But everyone just calls me Kate anyway
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #24
Linen

Jessica. Unfortunately it is associated with a lot of preppy, bitchy, snobby, stupid actresses and similar non-famous people. My parents named me after Jessica Savage (a news reporter who died young) and Jessica Lange (another actress).

I wish there weren't any other people with my name. I really think it's stereotyped pretty badly. Do you ever think of a goth or even alternative girl when you hear the name Jessica? No, you probably think of a bimbo or a cheerleader.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #25
Delkaetre

I have mates called Jess... they're alt-types.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote