Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Versus

Colorado civil unions denied again,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/05/14/gop-kills-colorado-civil-_n_1516610.html

Quote:
DENVER — A last-ditch effort by Colorado's governor to give gay couples in the state rights similar to married couples failed Monday after Republicans rejected the proposal during a special legislative session.
Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper had said the special session was needed to address a "fundamental question of fairness and civil rights."
The bill's demise was expected by Democrats, who have begun using the issue as a rallying cry to topple Republicans in the November elections. Republicans assigned the bill to the House State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, which voted 5-4 along party lines to kill the measure.
"My family is the same as every one of yours," said Rep. Mark Ferrandino, the Democrats' leader in the House and a gay lawmaker who co-sponsored the civil unions bill, moments before it was defeated.
Though the ending came as no surprise, the lead-up was emotional. Two Democratic lawmakers choked up before their votes. In the audience, Marq Shafer, 31, put his hand on his partner Cody Shafer's shoulder and nervously rubbed Cody Shafer's wedding ring.
Republican Rep. Don Coram, whose son is gay, cited his reasons for voting against the measure while his wife, Dianna Coram, wiped away tears in the audience. Coram said civil unions are too similar to same-sex marriage, which Colorado voters banned in 2006. He blasted Democrats, accusing them of bringing up the issue to try to gain votes.
"The gay community is being used as a political pawn," he said.
Ferrandino rejected that argument, saying Democrats were pursuing the issue to grant gay families equal rights. He said he was optimistic that civil unions would pass eventually, and it was a matter of when, not if.
"I will tell you that `when' keeps getting closer and closer and this will happen soon," he said.
Ferrandino said his party would work this year make sure to "work hard to make sure the public understands what happened, the games that were played."
Republicans hold a 33-32 advantage in the House, but there was enough support for the civil unions bill to pass last week after three different committees gave their approval. The Senate had already passed the measure.
Democrats tried to force Republicans who control the calendar to bring up the bill for debate. But it became clear Republicans were filibustering by unnecessarily talking at length about other bills.
Republicans then halted work for hours, killing the bill and several others that needed a vote before a key deadline.
The regular session adjourned Wednesday, the same day an emotional Hickenlooper announced his intent to call a special session to take up civil unions and other bills that died.
More than a dozen states allow either gay marriage or civil unions, including several that moved to pass such laws this year.
The debate in Colorado is playing out at a time when President Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to publicly endorse gay marriage. But North Carolina voters last week approved a constitutional amendment that bars civil unions and defines marriage as solely between a man and a woman.
Earlier Monday, hundreds of supporters wearing red and waving signs greeted lawmakers returning to Denver for the special session.
Wiley Sherer, who was selling buttons that read "Ignorance is forgivable. Pride in ignorance never is," said she believes civil unions are "going to happen eventually."
"I mean, there's no way in 10 years we don't have nationwide marriage equality," she said.
Conservatives who argued that civil unions undermine traditional marriage portrayed the special session as a waste of taxpayer money.
After the vote, Republican House Speaker Frank McNulty said the question was not worth calling lawmakers back to Denver at taxpayer expense.
"We have more important things to worry about," McNulty said.
Civil unions would grant gay couples rights similar to married couples, including letting partners make medical decisions for each other. The protections also would enhance parental and inheritance rights.
Marq and Cody Shafer, who were married in Iowa, hugged after the vote and said civil unions in Colorado would protect their hospital visitation rights.
"We're at the mercy of a hospital in this state to say if I can be in his room when he's sick," said Cody Shafer, 33. "I'm asked to leave. I have no legal ground to stand on to go and be at his side. Our marriage isn't recognized."
___
The democratic process is a lie.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
AshleyO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMTE8...feature=fvwrel

This basically.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Versus

I need to stop reading the news. I don't know how to deal with any of this.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Despanan

It's okay Versus. Just remember, this is a process, and it's a process we always win.

It used to be that interracial marriage was banned, it used to be that women couldn't vote. It will take time but we will drag these bigots kicking and screaming into the future.

Unless the United States decides to go fascist that is...which I'm not ruling out at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote