Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
MissInformation

Talking The Love Bug and Dating Thread

I'm single and have been for the past month. If I fail to reconcile with my current ex, who is a good friend, adventuring soul and sexy man, the singlehood may very well last a little longer.

Let's put this aside for a second or two, however.

We'd all love to ignore certain movies and television series, but the fact of the matter is that crap romance shows do exist and in one way or another, we are flooded and stopped up like gas station toilets.

We see images of candlelight dinners, to home cooked meals, to every locale from dives, to favorite taverns to the fanciest four star cuisine. We see the woman or man always complimented on appearance, sometimes given flowers of choice (usually a dozen roses) and/or some form of stuffed animal, candy, etc.

I know damned well that this isn't how real life dating is 100% of the time. It seems to me that this sort of happens in rare instances. However, that's what gets televised.

Whether the relationship is good or bad, in my own experience, most of the positive remarks on appearance happen early on, before sex is involved. I don't expect roses or fancy anything really, but any one of us, male or female wouldn't say no to a nice bouquet? Am I wrong? There is a part of me that feels a touch cheap when the compliments dwindle, or stop after sex. I know life isn't like the movies and that I, along with everyone else, deal with a real person.

That said....I can't help but notice that there are those goths out there that like to embrace the night, and its affectations, I guess I can call it? Those that like the red wine, the Victorian style clothing, the dark poetry, literature, film, art and all those pretty pretty roses.....
Male or female, regardless of sexual preference, ever think of using that to your advantage with a significant other, or the man or woman you're chasing. For all the other freaks out there, goth or otherwise, it won't hurt you to try it out yourself, or at least show you are willing to leave your comfort zone to romance your intended, or bring a smile to his or her face?

While this can be directed at the gentlemen goths of the board, I do speak to the ladies as well. We're sensitive, romantic, and boy do we look fantastic in any array of attire from the ethereal to the Victorian to the naughty. If I can look good in a sweater dress and thigh highs while making spaghetti and a mean meat sauce without blowing up my kitchen, you can too!

I know as well as you do that life and dating are nothing like the movies, but like anything else, sometimes, we like the little things. I need to understand that too and not forget to compliment here and there. I know that not everyone's ideals of a great night out involves roses, Dom Perrion and a blow to the bank account. However, there is nothing wrong with breaking out the rose petals and candles. Compliments are free, as is asking the other person what they like.
MissInformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Luv2H8

Well...I guess I'm a casual kind of guy. I'm usually dead serious (except on the web) and WHY the fuck am I posting this. God, I'm lonely. ;-;
Luv2H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
DRM

What the fuck are you trying to say?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Entropic

Wait, what?

How is babby formed? How girl get pregnant?
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
KontanKarite

I don't like to force romance. In fact, I'd be pretty annoyed if someone got me flowers or some sentimental crap like that.

I prefer romance when you least expect it. Those moments that sometimes seem meaningless or ordinary and yet you never really forget them.

I've seen more romance drinking with friends and writing on my walls than anything ever thought up in pop-culture.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

I can say with complete honesty that my love life is like a movie. I'm very fortunate.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Saya

I really dislike a lot of traditional ideas of romance. I dunno, flowers or candlelight dinner just seems horribly cliche, if someone really knew me they'd know what I'd enjoy.

Like turning off the lights, build a blanket fort and watch a zombie movie.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Luv2H8

I guess a trip to a music store, some coffee with pure silence, and ending the day with a horror movie would be perfect. And if there's enough time, shopping for books.
A romance or drama movie is also acceptable, IF I'm in the mood.

A dinner at a high class restaurant wouldn't do it for me. Too expensive (since I'll be paying) and the food may not be to my liking. I much prefer restaurants that I'm familiar with.
I don't do flowers. Too cliched.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Altemese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I can say with complete honesty that my love life is like a movie. I'm very fortunate.
I totally agree. There is always someone out there for some one. I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years come may 8. I'll really happy. He loves me with no strings attached. Our relationship has had it ups and downs, but we stuck it out. I honestly can say, I'd rather be with him than with any one else.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altemese View Post
I totally agree. There is always someone out there for some one.
Poppycock, lots of people are happy being alone, and not just asexuals.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #11
Altemese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Poppycock, lots of people are happy being alone, and not just asexuals.
u r right too. some ppl can do bad all by themselves. but if you choose to be with someone, than that person is out there for you.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

That's completely false. The notion that everyone has a match is wrong.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
Altemese

Quote:
That's completely false. The notion that everyone has a match is wrong.
can u expound on that please.
but if u don't agree with me, that is fine. we all have the right to our opinion. but I'm sticking to my guns, as it were.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Saya

Even for people who do want a soul mate there's lots of people who never find anyone for them, and there's lots of people who believe in silly things like soul mates who would be willing to settle for people who are total shit out of desperation.

Nobody is up there in the sky playing matchmaker.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altemese View Post
can u expound on that please.
but if u don't agree with me, that is fine. we all have the right to our opinion. but I'm sticking to my guns, as it were.
How could everyone have a match? Like Saya said, there is no celestial bureaucratic body run by Cupid arbitrarily assigning soulmates to all and sundry. Romantic endeavours rely almost exclusively on chance.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
Luv2H8

Yeah, it is pretty pointless to look for Mr/Ms. Right. Just enjoy life and find someone you see as acceptable. There is no point to spending your youth looking for someone who may not exist.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
sibyl vane.

You're not specifically assigned to one person. A lot of young people seem to believe this, though.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
Luv2H8

I know.
It's quite saddening to see people spout this nonsense. Especially the ones that say they're in love and break-up moments later. I get a good kick out of it for some reason, though.
Chris Rock says it best though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUcIR7VCmGc
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2H8 View Post
Chris Rock says it best though:
That sentence is never true of anything.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Luv2H8

Well, I had to agree with him on that one. Although it was exaggerated, it is true. Even if the right person existed you're already with someone else, separated by hundreds of miles, or the ever so common, age.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

People die having never experienced love all the time. People die alone.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #22
Luv2H8

Quote:
People die having never experienced love all the time. People die alone.
"It doesn't how many friends you have.
It doesn't matter how many people you've been with.
In the end, we all die alone."

I can't remember where I heard this.