Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Despanan

SHould we change it to "ugly Frenchman?"

Apparently, Americans are not the worst tourists in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Beneath the Shadows

Of course there's not. They're the second best.

The French already are the worst.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Saya

My roommate worked at a hotel last summer and would complain that French people never tip. But I have another friend who speaks French fluently, and worked in a tourist information center, French tourists loved her and apparently would come back bearing gifts sometimes rather than tipping (she got a big basket of strawberries one year for being such a help). In general though I really try not to be judgmental of tourists unless they're really out of line, its better to keep in mind, especially with the ones who don't speak much English, that they're in a weird country with totally different customs, they're probably stressed out enough without me giving them a hard time.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I saw an interesting abc report a while back that showed that even french people think french people make terrible tourists.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Still Jack

The French really tend to appreciate people talking French to them.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Despanan

I think I read some poll that said the French actually hate the French more than any other country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Sociologically speaking, French people have grown to become very isolated from one another. You wouldn't see a stranger smiling, least of all talking, to another complete stranger. Also, Parisians consider themselves more French than other people, with Sorbonne students feeling sorry for any student that doesn't study in Paris as if it's a kind of failure. The southern French also feel they have little in common with the northern French, marking a difference that resembles the United Kingdom more than the United States.
I see it plausible that French people dislike other French people more than other countries, but maybe it depends on how you see it. The ones from Brittany have their own sense of identity, the Languedoc never much considered themselves French, and some people in Aquitaine might have more in common with the Basque. Probably that's what the thing you read meant.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
My roommate worked at a hotel last summer and would complain that French people never tip. But I have another friend who speaks French fluently, and worked in a tourist information center, French tourists loved her and apparently would come back bearing gifts sometimes rather than tipping (she got a big basket of strawberries one year for being such a help). In general though I really try not to be judgmental of tourists unless they're really out of line, its better to keep in mind, especially with the ones who don't speak much English, that they're in a weird country with totally different customs, they're probably stressed out enough without me giving them a hard time.
No one outside of America/Canada tips. Tipping is a North American thing. In Europe, people who work as bartenders or wait staff get above minimum wage, so there is no reason to tip them.

For those who do not know, in America and Canada bartenders and wait staff get LESS than HALF minimum wage, as tips are considered part of their wages, so tipping is normal.

I think the laws should be changed though. As a person who worked (and owned) bars/nightclubs/pubs I can tell you that you don't always make enough to match minimum wage, much less enough to make a living on if you depend on the kindness of others to make a living.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
No one outside of America/Canada tips. Tipping is a North American thing. In Europe, people who work as bartenders or wait staff get above minimum wage, so there is no reason to tip them.
Not true. People also tip in Europe; I know for a fact that this happens at least in Romania and the UK, but I believe it is customary in other countries as well.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #10
CptSternn

Having lived in the UK for many years I can tell you it doesn't. Sometimes tourists *might* tip, but regulars NEVER tip. It is by no means customary, and as I currently live in Ireland, I can tell you it doesn't happen here either.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Saya

Quote:
For those who do not know, in America and Canada bartenders and wait staff get LESS than HALF minimum wage, as tips are considered part of their wages, so tipping is normal.
Not the case everywhere in Canada, we don't have that at all in Newfoundland. We make minimum wage no matter what, plus tips, and we don't have to share tips either. It usually always is minimum wage, though.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Having lived in the UK for many years I can tell you it doesn't. Sometimes tourists *might* tip, but regulars NEVER tip. It is by no means customary, and as I currently live in Ireland, I can tell you it doesn't happen here either.
If you say so, then mea culpa. I knew it was customary to tip in England, but maybe you're right, maybe it was because we were tourists. However, as far as my country is concerned, it is almost always considered rude not to tip.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Konstantin

I think it's a little bizarre when people don't tip. It's certainly customary in North America, but it's also the cultural norm in Russia. If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford the restaurant.
Konstantin is offline   Reply With Quote