Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: What is Your religion
Aethist 18 31.03%
Wiccan 4 6.90%
Christian 13 22.41%
Buddist 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Muslim 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Other (please explain) 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
raineofblood

Religion

I think this is the best place to put this thread. Politics was my second choice but no matter. Goths are seen by others to be aethists and pagan. I'm a goth and yet I am a christian. I was just wondering, what is your religion?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Minyaliel

Oh holy cow, not now again... Raine, be warned that this thread easily might turn out to be a ticking bomb.

Myself I'm a Theistic Satanist with heavy influences from dark paganism, demonolatry and Taoism/ Buddhism.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

I'm going to love this thread.
You should have included satanist, though.
I think there should be two other threads; one for the view of god, and one for the philosophy of life. I might make them later. ^^
I'm an atheist. I don't see a reason to believe in God, nor evidence for its existence.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
honeythorn

I voted other. Not all pagans are wiccans and since I am not wiccan I just voted other. I am pagan. I am studying witchcraft ( as in reading a lot of books since I have no one in real life to bounce ideas off ) and I would like to get around to looking up shamanism too
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
heretoday_gonetomorrow

Used to be a christian, then I was a devout wiccan for about a year, finally I just said "Screw it all, science makes more sense." I enjoy studying religion though, it hurts my brain because then I keep questioning myself and my beliefs, but such thinking will only make me stronger.
heretoday_gonetomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretoday_gonetomorrow
it hurts my brain because then I keep questioning myself and my beliefs
I like you more and more.
This is good. Always remember to question everything, even the validity of the same statement of questioning everything.
At the end, what you believe is certainly true, is what you have evaluated that is most probably true. If a belief is firmly held as true without critical thinking every now and then, it becomes dogma.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Raptor

I voted aethist, though really agnostic is probably a better way of describing my opinions. I personally can't say that anything leads me to believe in any higher beings, and if I did that wouldn't necessarily mean I would be able to pick out one religion above the others.
I don't feel a need to believe in a religion either.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
killer_asian_Dax

OH GAWD!!! Here we go!

*prays* Jebus, hay-soos, omnigod, whomever, please don't let this go the way I KNOW it's going to go.....

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Splintered

I voted Atheist. Because I'm an Atheist.
Just your friendly neighborhood Atheist.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
raggedyanne

I voted other. I was raised Lutheran (protestant), but the belief in "heaven", "salvation", and "converting non-believers who won't go to 'heaven' otherwise" really bothers me. I can't justify the horrors the christians have inflicted on everyone else in the name of their god. I'm sort of athiest, mostly agnostic though. Big believer in karma.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
Drake Dun

Is an "aethist" a person who still prefers Lorentz's aether theory to Einstein's special relativity?

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
dark_dragon_of_ice

atheism isnt a religion.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Well, I definitely would have to have had my voice represented in the poll. So, for practical purposes, it was good she put atheism in it. It only missed satanism and agnosticism.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
Draconysius

I'm agnostic. I don't know if God exists, and I believe no one can know. Besides that, I don't really even care to know. I don't need to look for a god for guidance because all the guidance I get is from reading books and articles and then thinking about them. I have some Taoist beliefs, but those are more in line with philosophy than religion.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #15
Heatherzilla

I don't know what I am. I was raised a Christian but I really can't bring myself to believe in any of it and I don't really know enough about other religions to really know what I believe in.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #16
Saphyra Runa

I have faith and spirituality. Is there a higher power that guides me or is it just my subconscious doing the work?

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 AM   #17
KontanKarite

Christian Witch.

Other Christians wont agree with my practices and how I see things, but it's what feels right for me.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #18
Vako

This thread was a great idea, but it is sadly limited. It is missing several major world-views.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #19
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
atheism isnt a religion.
Oh, good God, you are annoying...
Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #20
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Always remember to question everything, even the validity of the same statement of questioning everything.
At the end, what you believe is certainly true, is what you have evaluated that is most probably true. If a belief is firmly held as true without critical thinking every now and then, it becomes dogma.
^^^ What he said.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #21
Cicero

I haven't voted yet, but I'm about to vote 'other'. I don't care much for categorising beliefs in the boxes of religion.

I believe in what my experiences lead me to believe, and that changes from day to day.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #22
vampyremage

I'm not entirely sure what I would be considered. I voted other. At my core I suppose I would be closest to being an agnostic because I really don't know enough to be certain of anything. I don't think there is nothing and I do have some theories about what is and isn't as far as religion goes but I just can't bring myself to believe strongly enough in anything to actually practice. To practice something that I do not fully believe in would feel dishonest.
vampyremage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #23
shadowplay

Atheist...
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
raineofblood

Oh woah. I'm glad about the many answers. To those who felt I left out a couple of religions, I am sincerely sorry. Also. My answers to some other of your posts on this thread:

Minyaliel: thank you for the warning but most of my thoughts themselves are ticking bombs so...yeah.

KontanKarite:I think I can relate to your "Christian witchness". Some kid
at school called me blasphemous after I did naught but share my opinion on my religion.

Honeythorn: I know that not all pagans are wiccan. (I actually have a book on wiccan practices ;D ) And you're if you're interested in shamanism delve deeper into it. It's really amazing.

Saphyra Runa: I believe your question is one many of us ask each moment.

dark_dragon_of_ice: Read this and tell me aethism isn't a religion
re·li·gion /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ [ri-lij-uhn]
–noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

raggedyanne:
Quote:
I voted other. I was raised Lutheran (protestant), but the belief in "heaven", "salvation", and "converting non-believers who won't go to 'heaven' otherwise" really bothers me. I can't justify the horrors the Christians have inflicted on everyone else in the name of their god. I'm sort of atheist, mostly agnostic though. Big believer in karma.
I too believe in karma. And seriously, what you're thinking is of radical Christians. I believe that if you follow your heart and do good in life (regardless of your religion) you go to heaven. Another reason why a couple of Christian people who "like" to hear my belief shun me. Bastards.

I end.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #25
DeathChii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
I'm agnostic. I don't know if God exists, and I believe no one can know. Besides that, I don't really even care to know.
My thoughts exactly
Of course I have my own little theories and philosophies... but no one needs to know =p
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote