Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #76
VulpineNinja

Ah, I'm glad this topic existed. I'm in fact quite plumpish myself. And I seem to be gaining weight every year... sadly.

There should be tips and tricks for fatties like us to look goth without trying too hard (assuming we're under the process to lose weight and to learning how to sew, which we can't achieve a successful result in just one day). As far as I've been is wearing simple black tees. I want those cool pants but I fear that my butt would be in the way. I wanna look for formal/business-like wear too.

I know there are ways to make a fat person look (slightly) slimmer but I couldn't find one in goth fashion yet.
VulpineNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #77
Pineapple_Juice

What?
Wear black. That's like a basic goth staple and the first rule of looking slimmer.
Alternately, don't wear things with large print.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #78
MissCheyenne

Ways to look slimmer? As Pineapple_Juice said, wear black and avoid large prints. Most darker colours can in fact provide a nice slimming effect but make sure your clothes fit properly.Don't wear anything too baggy or too tight because it just makes you look bigger.No matter what the size, making sure your clothes fit you correctly is essential.Oh, and avoid fabrics that cling such as satin. Satin is not the friend of the plump.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #79
JCC

Ways to look slimmer?

Lose weight.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #80
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Ways to look slimmer?

Lose weight.
Ok, so this is the best way to look slimmer. I only offered tips on dressing to look slimmer because some people don't want or can't be bothered to lose weight but yeah....losing weight would help.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #81
VulpineNinja

Quote:
Ways to look slimmer?

Lose weight.
it's like rereading the first and second page...
VulpineNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #82
korinna5555

Fat goth wardrobe staple: black trash bag with appropriate holes.
CHEAPER THAN VINYL!
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #83
MissCheyenne

I have the vilest mental image now of mounds of pasty flesh stuffed into bin bags, oozing out of rips and tears, catching the flashing coloured lights on the dance floor of a smokey club. I do not thank you for this image.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #84
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I have the vilest mental image now of mounds of pasty flesh stuffed into bin bags, oozing out of rips and tears, catching the flashing coloured lights on the dance floor of a smokey club. I do not thank you for this image.
You're welcome! =D
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #85
MissCheyenne

It makes me happy that I never felt the need to wear vinyl when I was large.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #86
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulpineNinja View Post
it's like rereading the first and second page...
I didn't read the rest of the thread but now that I see that gothicus said pretty much the same thing as me it should be apparent that we're right. There's no point trying to hide the fact that you're a fat lump, if you're trying to hide the fact that you're a fat lump then clearly you don't like the fact that you're a fat lump, and therefore you should do something about it. Then you can have a body that you're genuinely more comfortable with rather than just pretending that you're closer towards what you'd like.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 AM   #87
Pineapple_Juice

Then again, bad prints, poorly fitted or light colored clothing will make anyone look bigger than they are, regardless of whether or not they're overweight.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #88
Red Menace

Criticism of body shapes is besides the point; fat goths need to wear something in the interim even if they are on a diet. I presume you don't want every goth with a spare tire (and there are enough of us) to be wandering around in the nude?
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #89
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Fat goth wardrobe staple: black trash bag with appropriate holes.
CHEAPER THAN VINYL!
Most vinyl clothing looks like black garbage bags to me. Haha.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #90
Llyallowyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Most vinyl clothing looks like black garbage bags to me. Haha.
Agreed.

DIY is often the best and most fashion forward (if you're actually fashionable) and pocket friendly way to obtain fitting clothing. I know several stores that also cater to larger sizes and carry goth-friendly clothing, as well as stores and designers who cater specifically to goths.

Batgearbeyond
Drac-in-a-box
Tripp (I understand the stigma, but they are fat friendly)
Lip Service (via Torrid)
Ebay (angel-secret is a good store)
Torrid (they have some non Tripp and Lip Service stuff you can incorporate from time to time)
Gloomth
My Little Halo
Infectious Threads
Persephone Plus
Inkubus
Good Goth (slim pickings)
Pyramid Collection
Mystic Crypt

There are also several places that might be willign to make their designs in a larger size for a fee. I would search this site - http://www.milieux.com/category.php?catid=25 - and do a google search of your own for corset makers or patterns and other shops. I know, I know, I'm a bit of a bleeding heart, but I remember what it was like.
Llyallowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #91
nobodygoth

For those of us Plus Size (Yes, I am one too), I go with Recollections.biz.
Even though they make more toward Old West stuff, they make Clothes in Plus Sizes.
They do all of mine, but I tend more toward the Clean, Classic look in clothes anyway.
nobodygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #92
CyanideandRaspberryTea

Thing the First: Malice is a douchebag

Thing the Second: Don't let your size prevent you from dressing in a gothy fashion!

Thing the Third: Thrift shops and charity shops are a godsend for finding gothy wardrobe additions, there's no need to pay out the ass for namebrand shit haha. Also, take some time to experiment and play around with what types of clothes suit your shape, it'll make all the difference

P.S. Try to avoid swamping yourself in fabric i.e. those awful Tripp pants with all the hardware, and don't wear clingy or shiny material on anything you don't want to draw attention to, that shit'll make you look bigger, something I assume you want to stay away from

Hope this helped xx
CyanideandRaspberryTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #93
Purepsycho

Nobody ever seems to think that overeating can be as much of a disorder as things like anorexia and bulemia....

I like doing DIY mixed with Hell Bunny & Living Dead Souls
Purepsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #94
iBARFglitter

I am a size 18-20 and i love who i am. I know most goths are on the thinner side ( i use the word "most" lightly), it may be hard for you to believe but someone people actually DONT want to lose weight. I thought a part of being goth is defining the mainstream and isnt being thin a really mainstream thing... THINK about it.
iBARFglitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #95
Pineapple_Juice

Anyways.

You can also use lines very effectively to camouflage or downplay undesirable aspects of your person. Yours eyes naturally follow lines, so use that to your advantage. Horizontal line smake thing slook wider, whereas vertical lines make things look slimmer. Belts and such can ten dto break up your body into chunks so avoid chunky belts or ruffles in places you don't want noticed as much. Hemlines of sleeves and cuffs should fall on the smallest areas. For example, if you have fat arms, it helps to make sure your shirt sleeves don't hit at the widest part. Try a 3/4 sleeve. Capris that hit at the widest part of your calf will make your legs look bigger, and the cut will also make them look shorter.

Summary: avoid poof and detail in places you don't want to stand out. Wear black. Play with lines.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #96
aisehino

Quote:
I didn't read the rest of the thread but now that I see that gothicus said pretty much the same thing as me it should be apparent that we're right. There's no point trying to hide the fact that you're a fat lump, if you're trying to hide the fact that you're a fat lump then clearly you don't like the fact that you're a fat lump, and therefore you should do something about it. Then you can have a body that you're genuinely more comfortable with rather than just pretending that you're closer towards what you'd like.
What about until they reach 100lbs? Don't leave the house? No one has asked how to hide it, simply not make things look worse.

Someone only 5lbs overweight can look terrible in vinyl, and even though not a fatty, no one wants to see that.
aisehino is offline   Reply With Quote