Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard

So I got a job as a Halloween Expert...

Tell me, is this win?

Yes it's seasonal, but I was happy to leave the grease fryers of my old job behind.
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Xombie

It's a decent win. What exactly do you do?
I've been working at haunted houses for the past three years. It's prettttty badass.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard

Pretty much just help customers set up their Halloween costumes/parties/setups/etc.

Yeah it's retail during a Holiday, a nightmare I know. But at least I won't be bored, and I've got a much worse job and plenty of scars from it to look back on if I need encouragement.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
beginingofnever

Retail = hell. I refuse to work retail.
I'd much rather waitress, even though people are terrible terrible things
beginingofnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Retail really isn't that bad.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Still Jack

You think retail is bad. Try working a sewage farm in the summer.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

I've never worked retail and I want to really really bad. I would love to have a job where I just stock shelves or fold clothes all day. It'd be awesome. Way better than the restaurant business or working with computers. You don't have to think when you work retail.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I've never worked retail and I want to really really bad. I would love to have a job where I just stock shelves or fold clothes all day. It'd be awesome. Way better than the restaurant business or working with computers. You don't have to think when you work retail.
It pisses me off that so many people think that.
My job is by no stretch hard for me, but if you're a moron, you will fail and get fired.

You definitely to have to think.
Retail is not about stocking shelves, it's about selling things to people.
Selling is harder than people imagine.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
SweetJane

Congradualtions on the job! That sounds like a lot of fun. Since a large percentage of normal people are aesthetically challanged it's not a wonder they needed a goth to do the job right.

And, yeah, even working fast food is harder than people imagine most of the time. I mean, my managers are usually morons, and I get to take the fall if someting bad happens and then I'm out of a job. It takes a lot of critical thinking and pre-emptive maneuvers... which is exactly what most fast-food owners do NOT want in their managers.

Christ I'm glad I don't work in fast food anymore.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Saya

Ha, I actually worked in a Wendy's years ago for about four months. It wasn't that bad, but it was run by monkeys which made it harder. And the bugs, I wouldn't eat the salads there because I would find these long beetle like bugs crawling around in the veggies. No one cared when I complained and I still found them around even after a customer found one in his salad.

I work in retail now and its pretty sweet. Like Ophelia said its not the easiest thing in the world, but after being in a call center for years its a really nice change to get to see people face to face and keep on my feet. This week I gotta work from six am to 2 pm every day and just scan shit, its going to take a lot of Redbull -_-*
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Victor "Rilvor" Leonard

Well I'll say my last job was working at Bojangles. I made fried chicken all day every day, and lifted overfilled, ripping bags of sopping garbage. I have so many burns (My left arm is permanently scarred from a grease accident, lots of second degree burns) and the work schedule was terrible. I worked 35-39 hours a week, they never put me on full time because they didn't want to give me the benefits, apparently.

I quit after the last accident with the grease filtering hose coming back on me, watching my skin literally melt off has made me a bit too traumatized around grease. I couldn't take the anxiety, and you know the manager refused to put me in a position up front, even though 3 people had quit earlier.

I'm loving my new job so damn much. Holy shit is it fun. Especially the kids, they get into the Halloween spirit so much, it makes me happy.

That and I get to help people build their costumes, fuck yeah.

Also, 30% employee discount, I'm going nuts when I get some spare money. I've been eyeing all of their differing bats....
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
SweetJane

That sounds great!

I'm also glad I never worked around grease. I cut myself more than a couple times on the meat slicer at Jimmy John's, though.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginingofnever View Post
Retail = hell. I refuse to work retail.
I'd much rather waitress, even though people are terrible terrible things
My only experience working retail was as a sales clerk at an antique shop. The post was very rewarding as I have always appreciated old things and I spent many hours admiring, and occasionally acquiring, all the various wares in the store. The dealers were generally quite willing to educate me on any items in their inventory that I found of interest and share stories of rare and unusual pieces that they had sold before or had seen elsewhere. It was also extremely enjoyable helping customers find that one elusive item; whether it be to build upon their collections, to fill that empty spot in the corner, or to find the perfect present for a friend or loved one. The atmosphere of the shop also made me feel perfectly comfortable when sporting a top hat or a frock coat to work, and more often than not I received compliments rather than odd stares. The pay was terrible, but I do feel that the experience more than compensated for that particular shortcoming.

I realize not all retail experiences are quite so pleasant, but at the same time I feel there are many far less attractive fields of employment.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
creature6

congratulation.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Ophelia's Snorkel

I'm so happy for you! It's great that you're enjoying the job, and that employee discount...oh, yeah. Plus, I'm assuming you are able to dress as you like. That's a wonderful benefit. Out of the blue, my local costume shop offered me a Hallowe'en season job, and I wanted to take it, but I was already committed to tutoring at the school. So I'm a little envious right now!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
DepthsofSpace

Pffft.. I get to be a spook year around with my job. =P

Seriously, awesome job. Sounds like it's fun. I've worked retail/service (in aviation, which was much better than most jobs, but still had the shit people come up with) and food service. I much prefer retail, but it's not easy.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote