Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
carakitty

Nail Polish

Do you wear nail polish? What is your favorite brand and color?
carakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
blindNsect

used to..can't anymore inasmuch as I have actual goals beyond highschool shock rep
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
creature6

i do wear black or red(Rimmel)
Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Red Menace

I usually wear my nails short and painted dark, most often purple or black, although sometimes I'll go for something a bit bolder like orange or bright blue.

My favourite brand is Revlon. I've tried "pro" brands like Essie and OPI, but I keep going back to Revlon, I just love their colours and they go on so easily. That would be with Sally Hansen Insta-Grip base coat and Mega-Shine top coat - cheap and cheerful but they do the job!
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Saya

When I wore nail polish my favourite shade was a really nice dark blue, I think it was called "denim" and it was the NYC brand. I don't wear it much anymore since I'm always cooking, I don't want it to get into my food!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
violetrevolution

Where I work trying to keep my nails looking nice is silly so I only paint my toenails. I almost always paint them purple. OPI makes awesome colors, one of them is called Russian Navy. It changes in the light from this great blue to blueish purple.
violetrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Asocalisten

I wear black, red or purple nail polish. It's just a cheap brand, I have no idea what it's called. But they're nice.
Asocalisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Solumina

I love OPI but most of the time my nails are unpainted.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
carakitty

I almost always have both tips and toes painted. A couple years ago I was really interested in the whole nail care thing and started collecting polishes like crazy. Now I only buy shades if I feel they are very unique. I am amazed at what a difference using base coat and top coat makes. I am an equal opportunity color and brand hoarder. At the moment Revlon in Vixen with essie Matte About You topcoat is being worn.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
SweetJane

I very breifly tried glue-on nails, but they kept coming off when I would slice meat all day, and ringing people up with half my nails dark red and half naked with glue-bits a was just a LITTLE TOO trashy for me...

I've used dark blue on my nails since I was eight, and I've used terqouise because it matches one of my pairs of doc martains, but I've been looking for a matte grey, with no success.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
carakitty

If you have an Ulta or Sally's near you they should have some matte topcoats like essie Matte About You or China Glaze Matte Magic. They're a little pricey but can be used over any polish. As for the grey part just get any old opaque white creme polish and a bottle of black. Dump about 1/4 of the white out and pour a tiny amount of black in then shake the bottle like mad. Repeat until desired shade is achieved. Good luck + have fun!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
SiouxsiePernova

I have extremely long fingernails and far too many bottles of nail polish. My preferred colours are dark shades of purple, red, blue, green and grey. I rarely use black polish because I like to add some colour to my outfits via my nails.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
angel of darkness

Most of the time black but also dark purple and dark blue.
angel of darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
Ophelia's Snorkel

Black for years, and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear is the best combination of durablility and cost I've found.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
strange_pleasure

Revlon's Extra Life No-chip topcoat is freakin' amazing!! Used it with a cheap 99 cent nail polish and after a week with no touchups my nails still looked great.

OPI has awesome shade selection, but I think the quality of their polish is cheap and chips just as easily as any Rimmel/WetnWild stuff.
strange_pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
I love OPI. I generally wear dark colors and shimmery ones. My manicurist just got the christmas colors in and I love the bordeaux color. I also like this gel stuff my manicurist talked me into. I don't remember the name of it, but it stays on your nails for two weeks with chipping and stuff. It takes forever to put on though and the colors are very transparent.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
SiouxsiePernova

I wish that O.P.I. would re-release their now discontinued shades of green nail polish.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #18
carakitty

Lady_Alyce- I like that bordeaux color too. I think it's called Merry Midnight? I hope to add it to my collection soon. I am thinking about DIY my own gel overlay or something. My nails just will not grow by themselves right now and the extra layering might be good protection for them.

SiouxsiePernova- Do you remember the name of the colors? Or when they came out originally?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #19
SiouxsiePernova

All I know is their names: Golf Course Green, Jasper Jade and Rainforest.

Edit: I just discovered that Jasper Jade was released in 1996!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
honeythorn

I don't have preferred brands, but I do wear a variety of colours from silver white to black, deep red, turqiouse, even a bright red glitter from Barry M which makes your nails look like Dorothy's shoes in the Wizard of Oz.

I also do my own nail art too. I took a course in it and although we worked on loose false nails and partnered to do eachother's nails, I'd already been doing my own for a few years prior to that so I've become reasonably good at doing patterns on my nails.

Here's a few little tips I use often :

A short length of Cotton thread dipped in the colour of choice and then carefully dragged across/up the nail is a good way to get straight lines and pinstripes. The amount of cotton sticking out between your fingers as you hold it should be about half an inch.

A small paper embosser ( with a ball end ) or a dressmakers pin ( the round head end ) can be used to make flowers by dipping into the polish and dotted onto the nail. One dot in the middle and then dots around the edges in a different colour for the petals.

A very fine thin artists paintbrish, the thinnest you can get, is good for thin fine swirls but you do need to practice getting a steady hand for those. Plus you need to clean the brush in a little white spirit or strong nail polish remover to keep it from going hard with any remains of polish. And keep a rag or bit of tissue and a small bottle of remover handy when doing your designs, to clean the brush between uses if you need to change colour.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
SweetJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
If you have an Ulta or Sally's near you they should have some matte topcoats like essie Matte About You or China Glaze Matte Magic. They're a little pricey but can be used over any polish. As for the grey part just get any old opaque white creme polish and a bottle of black. Dump about 1/4 of the white out and pour a tiny amount of black in then shake the bottle like mad. Repeat until desired shade is achieved. Good luck + have fun!
Hey, thanks, this sounds like a good idea. I'll try it
Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
AsylumVoid

I love bight red nail polish but I can't pull it off, it's lame. So I stick with dark blue, burgandy and black. I have to have short nails for playing guitar so I don't really pay that much attention to them, I just paint them when I go out otherwise it makes your outfit look unfinished.
AsylumVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
All I know is their names: Golf Course Green, Jasper Jade and Rainforest.

Edit: I just discovered that Jasper Jade was released in 1996!
Indeed, JJ is an oldie! Good news though, there is a pretty close dupe for it All Lacquered Up wrote about it.

I searched on that site for GCG + RF but nothing much comes up in the way of dupes =(
Old 10-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #24
carakitty

Thanks for the tips honeythorn!

Have fun SweetJane!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
Black_Chic

Black by pure ICE
Black_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote