Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
AshleyO

Now, for a ray of hope.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/...130313993.html

Quote:
Scientists say they have found a way to disarm the AIDS virus in research that could lead to a vaccine. Researchers have discovered that if they eliminate a cholesterol membrane surrounding the virus, HIV cannot disrupt communication among disease-fighting cells and the immune system returns to normal.
Some of the best news I've read in a while.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Grausamkeit

That is some awesome news! This is phenomenal!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Kasdeja

Quote:
So far, research has been conducted only in the laboratory. But Graham says he hopes studies in animals and humans will eventually lead to an AIDS vaccine.

Yay... more animal torture. I'd like to actually see that this works before putting stock in it. I just don't trust doctors.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
Yay... more animal torture. I'd like to actually see that this works before putting stock in it. I just don't trust doctors.
> about to find a cure for a horrible disease.

"OMG!!!!!!! THINK OF THE ANIMALS YOU SELFISH BASTARDS!!!!!!!"

Also, I dun needa talk to a scientist. Y'all muthafuggas lyin', gettin' me pissed. Fuckin' miracles, man. That's what should cure AIDS.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Kasdeja

I just want proof instead of speculation. They've only done it in labs so far. What if it doesn't work in humans? Then we got all excited for nothing.
Prove it, and then I'll believe.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
wolf moon

Quote:
I just want proof instead of speculation. They've only done it in labs so far. What if it doesn't work in humans? Then we got all excited for nothing.
Prove it, and then I'll believe.
It's not necessarily that it won't work in any particular species, it's just how it will work in any particular species. Breaking down a membrane is breaking down a membrane... they just have to find a way to target the virus and not, say, everything else. Cholesterol protects pretty much every cell in your system.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Grausamkeit

Quote:
animals vs. human life
animals vs. human life

Hmmmm, gonna have to go with 'human life' on that one.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
KissMeDeadly

For realz. I'm all kinds of animal lover over here. I'm one of the types who consider all forms of life more or less equally important.

However.

A a small number of animals for the benefit of THOUSANDS of people? It's for the greater good. Hell, even a small number of people could be justified in the same way.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
AshleyO

Hold the mother fucking phone.

Did I seriously just read someone trying to blow the whistle on animal rights in response to scientists trying to solve the AIDS virus problem?

Some of you... SERIOUSLY need to re-evaluate your priorities.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Alan

I know I could be completely wrong, but how much do you wanna BET that Kasdeja uses make-up, yet she complains about animal testing when it might cure motherfucking AIDS.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Kasdeja

I don't wear makeup because of animal testing, and you're a douche.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Alan

Well, why the hell didn't you bet on something you knew you'd win anyway?
And you seriously don't wear any makeup?
real classy
Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Grausamkeit

Quote:
You're the one being a douche. A few animals get tested on to save the lives of hundreds of thousands* of individuals and you wanna fucking complain about it?? You've got some mighty fucked up priorities, son!

*I'm making an assumption on that. I don't know the actual number.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Saya

Lots of people don't wear make up.

But its kinda a moot point to be arguing about animal testing, by law all medicine has to be tested on animals whether the scientists think its necessary or not.

That said I'm cautiously optimistic. There's been a lot of potential cures over the years, while it'll be awesome if it works out we really can't get excited until the vaccine is produced.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Kasdeja

I don't need to wear makeup, alan.

Also, I agree with Saya on this one.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I don't need to wear makeup, alan.

Also, I agree with Saya on this one.
That's interesting coming from someone who brought up the whole 'little animals being tortured so people don't have to die from a horrible disease' BS.

Suddenly your stance changes instead of you being an adult and admitting that your original statement was bullshit.

Also, how you can you people not wear make up? I love that shit!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
AshleyO

Shit. I'd be cool with a god damned Bengal tiger getting its ass straight killed if I knew it'd cure something like AIDS or cancer.

Humanity. Let's try being good to us first and then being good to our animal neighbors a very close second.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Kasdeja

Great! Then let's try it out on the rapists and child molesters in the prison system. They're animals.

Oh, and my original statement isn't bullshit. You can't let anything you don't agree with go, can you?

Besides, I look fine without makeup.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
Alan

Quote:
Great! Then let's try it out on the rapists and child molesters in the prison system. They're animals.
What the fuck you fucking bitch?
You put animals on the same level as rapists and child molesters?
real classy
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
AshleyO

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLL!!!!
OMG! This just got delicious! Keep talking Kasdeja. This shit is gold!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #21
Grausamkeit

Quote:

Oh, and my original statement isn't bullshit. You can't let anything you don't agree with go, can you?

Besides, I look fine without makeup.
1. You're a fucktard.

2. Wear some lipstick.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #22
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Besides if we can cure aids in humans we can likely cure aids in other animals. When it comes down to it, a single animal not getting killed isn't likely going to make a difference when it comes to saving the lives of humans and animals. Whereas each and every human life saved can make who knows how much of a difference in saving the lives of both humans AND animals. When it comes to medicine and doctors have to choose between two humans they choose the person more likely to survive and who's survival is more important, when you put animals in such a comparison, they just don't stand a chance.

If all the animal species in the world were going to be killed, and you had to choose one species to survive, you would be foolish not to go with humanity, especially considering we're the only ones who would stand a chance of bringing the other species back from extinction.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #23
wolf moon

Wait, I'm confused. Why does makeup automatically equal animal testing? I have a bathroom and train case full of totally vegan products. Are you seriously boycotting all makeup just because of animal testing? Because that's silly and unnecessary. If you don't wear makeup for some other reason and said it's because of animal testing because it seemed good for this particular argument: also silly.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #24
Saya

To be fair, she didn't say why she didn't wear make up. Things like toothpaste, household cleaners, even shaving razors are probably more better things to ask about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Also, how you can you people not wear make up? I love that shit!
Too time consuming. I might wear concealer if my skin breaks out but otherwise I'll only wear it in a blue moon when I suddenly find it fun.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #25
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
To be fair, she didn't say why she didn't wear make up. Things like toothpaste, household cleaners, even shaving razors are probably more better things to ask about.
Quote:
She did. Which is where I got confused.

I make my own toothpaste and household cleaners.

But I also eat bacon.