Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #26
dabbadmc

You've been smoking since 8? Wow.

The only advice I can think of is to go to your doctor, who can tell you about all the damage smoking does, and can refer you to helplines too.

Good luck kicking the habit, and that goes for Magila too.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #27
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly_Goth
I've been smoking since I was 8 and I'm 20 now and I've tried a few times to quit smoking but each time I do I get sick, I dunno what the crap to do.....
It's called withdrawl symptoms.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #28
lucylucy

I see a lot of the people around me trying to quit smoking, and more power to them. But so far I haven't seen a reason to quit smoking myself. I love everything about it, especially the way it calms me down and gives me a few minutes to myself to think things through. I've had a lot of revelations while smoking.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #29
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylucy
I see a lot of the people around me trying to quit smoking, and more power to them. But so far I haven't seen a reason to quit smoking myself. I love everything about it, especially the way it calms me down and gives me a few minutes to myself to think things through. I've had a lot of revelations while smoking.
Smoking doesn't actually calm a person down.
It eases withdrawal symptoms.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #30
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Smoking doesn't actually calm a person down.
It eases withdrawal symptoms.
I know that. But, sitting alone in silence with a cigarette, I find it calming. I don't mean calming as in the effect caused by the cigarette itself - I just like to calm down during those few minutes to myself.

Also, I've never had any noticeable withdrawal symptoms.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #31
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylucy
I haven't seen a reason to quit smoking myself.
Quote:
I've never had any noticeable withdrawal symptoms.
Go, figure.

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #32
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
Go, figure.
Withdrawal symptoms are something entirely different to liking cigs and therefore not quitting.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
Mealla

I never really got started smoking. Tried cigarettes a time or two, but first off I got nothing out of it, and second off I'm allergic. So the nicotine not affecting me at all plus getting a runny/stuffy nose and hoarse voice almost immediately were a good deterrent from getting started in the first place.

Also, it's not just the nicotine that keeps you addicted. I've both read in articles and heard from smokers that it's also the motion, something to do with your hands. As such, some treatments focus not just on the nicotine withdrawal, but also on addressing the impulse to "go through the motions."

Or you could always go to a smoke addiction clinic run by the mob.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #34
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Withdrawal symptoms are something entirely different to liking cigs and therefore not quitting.
Yes, I know... She said she'd never tried to quit, and then seemed to be surprised that she'd never had withdrawl symptoms; I was pointing out the obvious. I don't see the problem.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #35
Fatbaby

I smoked for several years. I quit three times. I started smoking again the first and second time because I was under a lot of stress. The second time I started smoking right before my orals at the end of my masters program.

It may be easier to quit heroin as they don't sell it in every store you go into.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #36
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbaby
It may be easier to quit heroin as they don't sell it in every store you go into.
That and the fact that for most people, the negative health effects take longer to set in with cigarettes. Though I suppose if someone's got asthma or is severely allergic, cigarettes could possibly kill them the first time they smoke.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #37
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I quit.

It's been hard. I had to do it cold turkey because I got sent to a hospital again.

But now I am back, and I feel stronger than ever. Not smoking does that to me I guess.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #38
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
Yes, I know... She said she'd never tried to quit, and then seemed to be surprised that she'd never had withdrawl symptoms; I was pointing out the obvious. I don't see the problem.
You have a point, but I wasn't exactly clear; no, I haven't tried to quit, but I have had the chance to feel withdrawal symptoms, as there is the odd occasion where I have to go without for a few days. I'm definitely psychologically addicted, but I haven't felt a single physical withdrawl symptom so far.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #39
Jonathan

Anti-smoking ads were so much better when I was a kid. I had ET and C3P0 and R2D2 telling me not to smoke. I guess the propaganda worked. I don't think I am missing much.

I kind of feel bad for the people addicted. I guess I could understand if you were getting something great out of it. Most of the people I have talked to say they don't get anything good out of smoking, except to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay.

Hope you can break from it.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #40
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I kind of feel bad for the people addicted. I guess I could understand if you were getting something great out of it. Most of the people I have talked to say they don't get anything good out of smoking, except to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay.
I have to wonder about the people who say they get nothing out of smoking other than banishing withdrawal, why did they start smoking in the first place?

I love everything about smoking. I love the taste of a good cigarette, having something in my hands and mouth so I'm not fiddling about all the time, the feel of the smoke being pulled into my lungs, the smell of burning tobacco (as long as it isn't menthol). I also rather pathetically get a kick out of doing something that I know is bad for me.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #41
freddy666

im 12 and i had my first cigar today i felt relaxed at first but now i feel jittery and i want more
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #42
SKULHEDFACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy666
im 12 and i had my first cigar today i felt relaxed at first but now i feel jittery and i want more
I really hope that you're joking.. there aren't really twelve year olds around here are there?
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #43
Joker_in_the_Pack

There are quite a few. One of our most respected members is 14, actually.

As for Freddy666 (such a stupid screen name by the way): I hope to hell you didn't inhale the cigar into your lungs. You do realize that's about 70 times the strength of a cigarette (give or take) right?

Just stay away from it mate, you're better off.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #44
MollyMac

Freddy isn't known for his brilliance. this will self-rectify.