Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #451
honeythorn

Oh gods now I need some. I want a pair of brown and a pair of burgundy 20 eyes!
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #452
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
steam punk
Doesn't exist.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #453
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
STEEL STEEL STEEL STEEL

http://www.steel-boots.com/

Between Bat Brains and I we've owned boots from TUK, Doc Marten, Underground, Pennangalan, Demonia... Steel beats them all by far.

And they're made in Slovakia, who wouldn't want boots made in Slovakia?
Oooooohh.....

*drools*
Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #454
honeythorn

Quote:
Doesn't exist.
It does, but as a word/description only. Doesn't have anything to do with punk music ( though I'm sure plenty of people do listen to it no doubt ) . No one really knows why the punk was added apart from the fact that steampunk kind of branched off the old cyberpunk fiction but takes inspiration from the steam/industrial revolution/victorian age instead of the future .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #455
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
It does, but as a word/description only. Doesn't have anything to do with punk music ( though I'm sure plenty of people do listen to it no doubt ) . No one really knows why the punk was added apart from the fact that steampunk kind of branched off the old cyberpunk fiction but takes inspiration from the steam/industrial revolution/victorian age instead of the future .
It doesn't exist in the context she used.
It's a literary genre.
You can't be a steampunk.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #456
Solumina

I suppose you could be if you were an inventor/mad scientist who made things that worked using steam power, but catch would never do something that cool.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #457
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
BTW, romper stompers are just steel toed boots and are illegal in most states.
I know it's already been said, but I think it bears repeating:

Steel-toed boots are -not- illegal in -any- state I've heard of. In fact, many factory-type jobs require that you wear them. :/

My Dad worked at a paper mill for 40 years, and it was required, for safety reasons, that he wear steel-toed boots. Heh. It's a little weird to find out that something required for safety is now a fashion statement. XD
Old 05-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #458
Catch

There are some kinds that are, because of something called romper stomp, but yah if you want brown work boots they are in the back of wal mart. They don't look cool though and they are more identifiable. Steel toe boots are illegal in Utah... last time I checked. Factories provide toe covers that remain on site.

Besides that I think everyone has specific imagery and ideals about fashion and how to dress. Can't expect everyone to think the same.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #459
ZyklonB

Romper Stomper is just a movie. An Australian movie... And Romper Stomps are some kid toys you strap to your shoes like platforms to make you look taller. These big yellow cup looking things.

I can't seem to find anything that says steel-toe boots are illegal in Utah. Care to cite your sources?
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #460
Cicero

Romper Stomper's a great movie.

I've never heard of steel toed boots being illegal anywhere, but there have been quite a few times when steel toes have come in handy to protect my feet.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #461
Sir Canvas Corpsey

You were in my dream cicero, I forget what was happening but I asked if I could call you Sissy, and you said yes and then we hugged. =)

I've never really had a desire to watch Romper Stomper.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #462
NightmareInShiningArmour

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4s5pmFL_Zl...er%2Bfunny.jpg
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #463
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Docs are absolute shit these days, IMO.
If you buy them second-hand, you can find Docs that have been manufactured in England, as opposed to whichever country they have now outsourced their factory too.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #464
Tam Li Hua

Do what now..?

Quote:
There are some kinds that are, because of something called romper stomp...
According to Yahoo! answers, this is some kind of toy from quite a few years ago. I don't know how the term would be applied to adult boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
...but yah if you want brown work boots they are in the back of wal mart.
Actually, you can find them in just about any shoe store, or order them on-line. [I try not to go in Wal-Mart; for some reason, the whole place depresses me.]

Quote:
They don't look cool though and they are more identifiable.
As for "looking cool", isn't that a matter of opinion? I tend to think the different-colored ones that were linked to earlier looked awesome, if one likes big, stompy boots.

As for being identifiable, I think that's kind of the point of Goth fashion anyways.

Quote:
Steel toe boots are illegal in Utah... last time I checked. Factories provide toe covers that remain on site.
Utah has a lot of...unique laws. However, I too would like a source on this.

Quote:
Besides that I think everyone has specific imagery and ideals about fashion and how to dress. Can't expect everyone to think the same.
Yes, they do, but this statement contrasts with your attitude which seems to say the opposite.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #465
Catch

I don't know if they are still illegal. Too many people turned them into weapons. either way the type of combat boot someone wears says a lot about them. I don't wear steel-toed boots. In fact, I rarely wear them at all. Witch boots are my favorite. If I did wear combat boots, they would be the ones on sale at a department store. By next week the video might be done that explains what that means.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #466
Delkaetre

Please, don't. Just, don't.
I'm sorry, I don't normally find one person that I just can't stand, but I really don't like you, or your videos, or your massive and apparently wilful ignorance of goddamn everything and most particularly that part of it which applies to having any sort of right to offer advice on personal aesthetics to anyone else, ever.
Please, stop.
When I read your posts, I cringe.
I keep thinking you are a troll.
You have to be. You couldn't really think the things you think and say the things you say. Surely.
Please go away.
You do, of course, retain all normal human rights to speech, rebuttal, defence and so on. I wouldn't dream of refusing someone their right to speech no matter how I disagree with them. But consider this my plea- voluntarily give yours up. For the good of us all.

And, on topic of the general fashion and whatnot- steel toed boots are popular all around the world, and are incredibly useful. For someone who wants slightly prettier shoes that still have a level of protection, there are suppliers of steel toed ladies' court shoes. Usually black, with a chunky heel of 1-2".
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #467
KontanKarite

Did I just read that Catch claims that I don't deal with women's hair?

Catch...

You're fucking dumb. Seriously, I implore you, contract firecancerAIDs... please.

Go die in a raging inferno, you crusty cunt.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #468
CrimsonPythonidae

Regarding boots: I love Steel Blue for steel caps. They have to be the most comfortable boots I have ever worn and I wear them almost all day, everyday. They are purely work boots (not really made for fashion but I think they look pretty flash anyway) so they're really tough. At least, mine look good until I get them all scruffy and busted at work and can't wear them out anymore. I think I heard they are Western Australian (or maybe Australian) made though, I'm not sure how widely available they'd be.
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #469
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Did I just read that Catch claims that I don't deal with women's hair?

Catch...

You're fucking dumb. Seriously, I implore you, contract firecancerAIDs... please.

Go die in a raging inferno, you crusty cunt.
I said I would do better. You're probably fine, but I primarily pay attention to men's hair when it is attractive to me. Women's hair is a larger topic, because it is a competitive thing.

The hair discussion will take place in two parts. First covers basic information and then more specific to goth culture.

I wasn't planning on this turning into a huge issue, yet it did somehow. Now "Catch Goth Style" has it's own blog separate from "Goth Ilk."

New Links:
http://catchgothstyle.blogspot.com/
http://gothilk.blogspot.com/
Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #470
Solumina

Catch what experience with hair do you have, other than your own?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #471
KontanKarite

Quote:
I said I would do better. You're probably fine, but I primarily pay attention to men's hair when it is attractive to me. Women's hair is a larger topic, because it is a competitive thing.

The hair discussion will take place in two parts. First covers basic information and then more specific to goth culture.

I wasn't planning on this turning into a huge issue, yet it did somehow. Now "Catch Goth Style" has it's own blog separate from "Goth Ilk."

New Links:
http://catchgothstyle.blogspot.com/
http://gothilk.blogspot.com/

Bitch, no. You said that I didn't DEAL with women's hair as if you knew me and you were pointed out for being dead wrong. Not only that, but judging by your avatar, your hair looks like ragged shit now that you mention being better than I.

I'd take the Pepsi challenge and I'm more than certain that I'd smoke the shit out of your sorry ass in hair as much as I would with fashion.

At best, you're a fucking commentator on those that do what you CAN'T do. I however, am one who actually DOES what you don't do. Go burn.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #472
Catch

I wasn't going to say anything... I really don't like your style.

It would be nice if the people who have this other type of Goth style started their own thread... maybe watch Split Ends on the Style network. Then they might figure out that not everyone it the same and it's a good thing.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #473
HavelockV

Personally I think KontanKarite displays more good style sense in his profile photo than you have demonstrated in this entire thread.

Also, Catch, I think that your hypocricy is glaringly obvious. You repeatedly state that your fashion sense is sublime and that others should strive to imitate your appearance, but whenever anyone indicates their dislike of your look (which does happen rather often), you turn around and claim that such critics are narrow-minded because everyone is different.

Your ego so grotesquely inflated that you will merrily prance along with a condescending attitude towards those who do not dress like you, but when scores of different people, all with different styles and backgrounds, tell you that your manner of dress is, at best, nothing to admire, you still refuse to relinquish your dearly-held faith in your own talents, such as they may be.

Grow up, Catch. Grow up.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #474
KontanKarite

Quote:
I wasn't going to say anything... I really don't like your style.

It would be nice if the people who have this other type of Goth style started their own thread... maybe watch Split Ends on the Style network. Then they might figure out that not everyone it the same and it's a good thing.
For one, I couldn't care less if you liked my style or not. A shit load of people don't. However, you're in absolutely no position to make the claims that you have made.

Do you seriously think we simply do not like you for you? Do you think we can't look beyond your stupidity and view your "work" in an objective light? We don't tell you that your style is bad because we don't like you, we tell you that it's bad because it is.

The cold brutal truth catch is this: You're ugly. This is truth. You're socially awkward. This is truth. You have next to no real respectable credentials for your claims. This is truth. You lack any traits and qualities that would inspire any modicum of respect from even the most common layman. This is truth. There is nothing spectacular about you at all. You are a broken human being with diseased thinking and the very act of you breathing oxygen alienates you from even the most lack luster of crowds.

As far as style, beauty, and fashion sense goes, I can consider myself the bare minimum standard amongst not just Goth, but general human beauty. Put us both in any situation where fashion sense and style is concerned in any kind of audience and you will fall short of even my most minimal standard.

Jesus, Catch, straight men would fuck me LONG before they'd even fuck you with their worst enemy's dick. That's how dismal your aesthetic truly is.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #475
Duane

Whoa, harsh...
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote