Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
June

Introducing the person with the boring name.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Go to school (3-4 days a week, 'cause I go to an alternative/free school...)
Art (drawing, textiles, costuming, etc., though I haven't done much recently...)
Writing (I should really be working on editing the novella that I wrote...)
Skiing

2. Where are you from?
Canada

3. Who is your favorite author?
Micheal Ende (My favorite book is The Never Ending Story, but I haven't read anything else of his.)
Markus Zusak
Jean Hegland
Etc.

4. What are your favorite films?
Almost anything by Hayao Miyazaki
(and other)

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I don't want to marry!

6. At your funeral?
I don't want a funural. (It's absurd to think of money being spent on a death... especially mine.)

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Of old age.
But if I were to commit suicide I'd go for hanging my self.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
None.
I'd want to be cremated (well, if I died in my home counrty, Japan, there wouldn't be a choice since it's a law...) than have my ashes scattered on the mountain that I'm named after or along the west coast... what ever's closest.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My black cords and belt that I wove a long time ago.
Silver shirt.
A black (wine red boarder) tunic type thing that used to be a sweat shirt. (I altered it.)
Silver elephant pendant.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Life being so exciting!

11. What's your favorite band?
I like Paradise Lost, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Kamelot, The Fugitives (I'd be surprised if anyone knows this band), Rise Against etc. (Am discovering Moonspell and Cruxshadow.)

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I'm high school aged now, but now I'm thinking that I'd like to study Forensic Psychology/Criminology.

13. Why did you join?
Mainly to answere one specific thread, but also because there are many (?) aspects of the gothic culture that I can identify with.
I started reading this site recently to find new music and reading.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female

Also, I love (pictures of) night skies. (And skies in general.)
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Duane

Welcome to Gnet.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
korinna5555

Welcome to the boards

Spirited Away! <3

If you like Nightwish, you'd probably love my friend's band.

Edit:
SHAMELESS PROMOTIN'!

www.cassandrasyndrome.com

A recent review on Doom-Metal.com:
"Irene Jericho manages to do what Tarja Turunen never did: do classical vocals well and to put them to good use."
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
3. Who is your favorite author?
Micheal Ende (My favorite book is The Never Ending Story, but I haven't read anything else of his.)
I always want to hug someone who has read that book, it was one of my favourites as a kid. My copy is long lost though.

Welcome! Besides Miyazaki films, is there any other films or anime you enjoy?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
June

Hug accepted!

I don't watch many movies, (I want to watch more!) but of things that I've seen recently; The Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, Children of Heavan... And probably the most emotionally impactful movie that I've ever seen is All About Lily Chou Chou (Japanese film) (Nobody Knows, Duck Coin Locker, Hana and Alice are some other Japanese films that I like, but don't think that their necessarily known over here...)

I want to watch some good horror movies, because after watching a grand total of 1 1/2 bad horror movies, that's the impression that's been left with me, and as a reaction I've made one of my ambitions writing a script for a horror movie that would be scary without the sound effects...
But I know there're many good ones out there; any suggestions??

This is not anime, it's manga but, last summer I was completely into Death Note.

Quote:
SHAMELESS PROMOTIN'!
It's always good to hear about new bands!

Also, sorry about making two of the same threads by the way! (I'm such a ludite...)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I can appreciate your liking for Markus Zusak. I'm looking at the copy of 'The Book Thief' i was lent, knowing I should finish it sometime.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
I want to watch some good horror movies, because after watching a grand total of 1 1/2 bad horror movies, that's the impression that's been left with me, and as a reaction I've made one of my ambitions writing a script for a horror movie that would be scary without the sound effects...
But I know there're many good ones out there; any suggestions??
Are there any types of horror that you are partial to? Some people like cheesy horror, intentionally cheesy and funny horror, thrillers, gory movies, old vintage horror, I'm sure thats not their proper names but I can't think of anything better to describe it ^_^

Quote:
This is not anime, it's manga but, last summer I was completely into Death Note.
I wasn't too too fussy with Death Note's anime, had great potential and a pretty awesome premise but I thought it dragged out too much in some places and went too fast in others, for example I wish Light's descent into evil madness was more subtle and gradual. I heard the manga was awesome though, and apparently a lot better, might check it out sometime if I ever get through Petshop Of Horrors and Mushishi ^_^
Old 05-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
June

I really enjoyed The Book Theif!
I like the way that Markus Zusak uses the visual component of the writing on the page,and the way he uses short paragraphs when things are coming to a point. (Among other things that I like about his writing.)

I imagine that the genre of horror that I would like would be the thriller variety.

Yeah, I watched a couple episodes of the Death Note anime and it was very *meh* like compared to the manga. (Death Note is actually only the second manga series that I've read completely, the first being Naushikaa.)
Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Saya

Quote:
I imagine that the genre of horror that I would like would be the thriller variety.

Yeah, I watched a couple episodes of the Death Note anime and it was very *meh* like compared to the manga. (Death Note is actually only the second manga series that I've read completely, the first being Naushikaa.)
I would recommend first [rec], a zombie flick, it was gory in a few parts but damn did it scare me, it wasn't too bad for gore either (I'm extremely squeamish, if I can watch it pretty much anyone can), it did a very good job in building suspense and most of my scare was from expecting at any moment a zombie to pop out at the screen. 28 Days Later is another more recent film I really liked, didn't scare me but it was still very enjoyable. There's Perfect Blue, Silence Of The Lambs, The Shining, Se7en, Kiss The Girls, Misery, and I'm sure there's lots more that I'm forgetting.

I also am a big fan of old vintage horror and would also recommend Carnival Of Souls (1962), The Last Man On Earth (1964, It was an I Am Legend film), and Nosferatu (1922).
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
JCC

Why has nobody mentioned the coolest part of this whole thing, that she goes to a free school?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
Xombie

I was just going to ask about that.
How is that free school working out for you? I don't really know too much about them other than what one of my teachers tells me.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #12
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Why has nobody mentioned the coolest part of this whole thing, that she goes to a free school?
I went to a free school for year 12. It was awesome, and more productive than any of the time I spent at regular school.

I really don't understand why there aren't more of them.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I went to a free school for year 12. It was awesome, and more productive than any of the time I spent at regular school.

I really don't understand why there aren't more of them.
Because 99% of parents would shit a house-worth of bricks if you told them that their children were going to be given choices.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
June

Yeah, that's true. It seems to be a really hard concept for people to wrap their mind around... (this is probably the hardest part about having a different education; extended family and many other people just not getting it!)

My parents are very awsome and I've always decided everything about my life. (I've even been unschooled. If you don't know this term, it's like an extream version of home schooling where you don't follow any kind of curriculum or anything.)

The school that I'm going to now is great. And there's a great committed community of people around it. But the thing is that it's going through a really hard time right now... Amazingly enough, it's publically funded, but with that comes a whole lot of strings and restrictions tyed to it...

Classes are optional, and anyone can suggest or offer any class they want. (We often have proffetional volunteers come in and do theater and such.)
It's democratic, and so the school is run by everyone; the students have as much say in matters as the staff and parents.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #15
Maxim_Macabre

Quote:

My parents are very awsome and I've always decided everything about my life. (I've even been unschooled. If you don't know this term, it's like an extream version of home schooling where you don't follow any kind of curriculum or anything.)

The school that I'm going to now is great. And there's a great committed community of people around it. But the thing is that it's going through a really hard time right now... Amazingly enough, it's publically funded, but with that comes a whole lot of strings and restrictions tyed to it...

Classes are optional, and anyone can suggest or offer any class they want. (We often have proffetional volunteers come in and do theater and such.)
It's democratic, and so the school is run by everyone; the students have as much say in matters as the staff and parents.
Oh how I envy your situation.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
viscus

Quote:
You still have to have some sort of breadth to get into any sort of university, I would think.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_Macabre View Post
I'm guessing it's your parents that'd get in the way, but I highly recommend Alia College. Best school in Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
You still have to have some sort of breadth to get into any sort of university, I would think.
At least at my school we did have set classes, and a curriculum that included the 'formal' year 12 qualifications (VCE in my part of Australia). Attendance just wasn't compulsory, no deadlines too strictly enforced, and class discussion was still very much open to anything.

The end result for me was offers from four different universities, including Cambridge. Yay for free schools.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
June

Quote:
Suprisingly, it's a myth that you have to graduate high school to get into university. (At least in North America... And in Japan, but those are the only places that affect me, so I don't know about other places.)
(In North America) You can take a year of college courses than transfer over to a university, or register at an open university. (There are many other options as well, but I don't know them off hand...)

Quote:
I'll try not to brag any farther... How much longer are you in school for?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Breathless Horror

Quote:

2. Where are you from?
Canada
High five for another high school Canadian! What province are you in, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote:

11. What's your favorite band?
I like Paradise Lost, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Kamelot, The Fugitives (I'd be surprised if anyone knows this band), Rise Against etc. (Am discovering Moonspell and Cruxshadow.)
Lacuna Coil and Nightwish aren't bad. What's your favorite Rise Against song? I myself prefer their (slightly) harder stuff, like Drones. I was supposed to see them play with Rancid in June, but I was too slow to get off my ass, and the tix are all gone :'(

Welcome to G-net June!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits

Last edited by Breathless Horror; 05-18-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: poor spelling
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
June

Thanks!
I live in B.C.

(Yay! To the long week end... Not that it really matters to me. And I'm sick...)

Umm... well, I like Ready to Fall (I like the music video as well) and Paper Wings quite a bit.
Too bad that you missed your chance to go see them!
They strike me as a badn that would be really great to see live.

I'm really not music literate at all, any bands that you recomend??
Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
korinna5555

Unschooling is kickass.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #22
viscus

Quote:
And in Japan,
I don't know about that, but universities here generally have a CRAZY HARD entrance examination. A lot of students go to after-school school called juku (or cram school) to study for those.

And generally, getting into a university is the hardest part. Graduating is a downhill slope.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
Saya

Quote:
Suprisingly, it's a myth that you have to graduate high school to get into university. (At least in North America... And in Japan, but those are the only places that affect me, so I don't know about other places.)
(In North America) You can take a year of college courses than transfer over to a university, or register at an open university. (There are many other options as well, but I don't know them off hand.
I know here you can apply as a mature student when you reach a certain age, and you just need to pass a high school equivalence exam, its 19 for most colleges I know, for Memorial University here in Newfoundland its 21, but you can always got to College Of The North Atlantic and then transfer over, as you said.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
June

Quote:
I don't know about that, but universities here generally have a CRAZY HARD entrance examination. A lot of students go to after-school school called juku (or cram school) to study for those.

And generally, getting into a university is the hardest part. Graduating is a downhill slope.
I know. I'm from Japan. (Well, I live in Canada now but I grew up there until I was 13.)
But even there, there are alternatives. You still have to study and go to jyuku or what ever, but it doesn't mean that you have to go the high school route...
And I'm sure that as you will know as well as I, even harder than the getting into a university without a highschool graduation is the social pressure around not going to school (or the conventional route) that's insane there... Hence why I'm not there now...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #25
viscus

ほんま?日本のどこ?

I've heard from a friend who's an ALT at a local high school that only about half of her students go to juku. Most (if not all) of the students who come to me are, of course those who are taking private English lessons would have extracurricular activities up the wazoo. Students also have the option of going to a technical or agricultural high school in lieu of regular high school and then just going straight to work afterwards.

I live in a rural prefecture though, it's likely different in the big city.

-William S. Burroughs