Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Xero

Hello, am I in the right place?

First of all, I'm not here just to "fit in". I'm here to find out if there are others that have the same likes/dislikes as me. I have never really classified myself as "goth", but living in lower Alabama, it is what I was always labeled in school. I had a rebellious phase against that just because it was what I was always known as. Sadly enough, the best I could find to "cover up the black" was "emo". That never seemed to fit me, but I acted the part so that people would stop calling me goth. I was 16, okay? Give me a break. I've grown a lot in the last three years. I know that even my mentioning this phase will make most of you cringe and never speak to me. I want to know if this is where I should be. My best friend understands more than anyone to an extent, but even she has her moments of disapproval for my thoughts and feelings. I understand that not everyone can agree with me at all times, but if it is possible that someone can help me find the path to who I am then maybe it would help. I have the genetic type of depression, which means that when I look sad in pictures, I'm genuinely sad. I don't *try* to be sad for goth/emo points or whatever. I don't really care. I'm me and thats all I want to be. I do listen to music that is apparently characterized as "goth" music, though. I want to know if this music is what is really known as "goth" or just what is stereotyped, because frankly, I'm tired of the general public's approach to things. My favorite musician of two years(since I first discovered her) is Emilie Autumn. I know all of her songs and can sing them word for word. I say this because I am curious. Many call her a "goth" artist. That is not why I listen to her. I am constantly trying to find music like hers because that is the music that FILLS my soul with calmness. The darkness soothes me, I guess you could say. I show people the music I love, the music that is keeping me from going on a suicidal breakdown, and all they can say is "Why do you listen to this depressing crap?" and "Omg thats so weird!". Other artists I listen to are: Dresden Dolls, Birdeatsbaby, (Dark Cabaret, I know. But are they "goth"?) Voltaire (Self acclaimed "goth".), Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Hannah Fury, One-Eyed Doll, Jack Off Jill, Scarling, Lycia, Helen Trevellion, Vermillion Lies, and many other artists like these. I have found them on my own over time. These are the ones that I best relate to. I also find myself listening to mainstream rock, classical music, and other oddities.
Leeni, Evanescence, My Chemical Romance, Slipknot and many others. I used to love vampires before Twilight came out. Vampires are supposedly another "goth" thing. Being from Alabama, I am VERY restricted in knowledge of this subject...all I have is the internet. I do not choose to be who I am. That is why I am asking...do I belong in this...group of people? I greatly dislike pop music, especially the likes of Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber, which I have come to realize "goths" hate too. Another thing, I don't just grab random black T-Shirts and go around saying "My soul is darkened to the core." I do write song lyrics and poetry, though. Most of it either scares or shocks people. Many of my friends like it, though they say it depresses them. I tend to wear monotone colors(Black, white, grey). Not for any specific reason, I just have an aversion to brightness. I recently dressed as what I believe I would look like if I were a "goth" and took pictures, which I will attempt to post on my profile on here. I did not do this just for the sake of looking "goth". I did it as an experiment to see if I could "pull off the look" in my own eyes. I believe I really like the way it turned out. I want to know what you guys think. Am I goth? Do I belong here? Or am I just a confused person who needs to be redirected to some other place..?
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
cannibalnuns

As stated by the tags:

Tags
anti-sexual , confused , gay , goth , vegetarian

All in all welcome to the drama.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Xero

Oh, thanks. I don't know. I just put things that I think pertain to me in them.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
*Twitch

....formatting please?
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Apoptosis

Ask yourself:
Am I being something I am are not?
Am I comfortable in my own skin?
Do I really care what other people think?
Why do I feel that I am "gothic"?
Does it come naturally or does it take effort?

Do some soul searching... only you can determine if you "gothic".

Last edited by Apoptosis; 12-18-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Spell checking!
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Xero

I'm not being what I'm not, I'm past the "fun" teenage years...
Depending on what you mean by "comfortable in my own skin"...I actually hate myself to the extreme...and my self esteem is low enough that if it were a pond, I doubt it could drown an ant.
I do not care what others think of me.
I feel that this culture/sub-culture or whatever...
would suit me because apparently, gothic people like the same things I like.
I also really like the fashion and music associated with it...
There is no effort involved, aside from the attempt to not look like a natural born jock. I was born in Southern Alabama, to a family of rednecks...who don't exactly understand me, but are actually more open minded than most would believe. If I played a sport, or even cared about sports, I could be a jock. I look the part when dressing "simply" (also known as: Jeans and a t-shirt). I do not have many shirts that suit my personality...though some do. I always wear black (or striped) gloves with whatever else I'm wearing (which is usually black/gray/and rarely white which hopefully signifies that I am NOT a jock. I mostly wear dark colors.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Xero

Hmm...
1st one: Definitely!
2nd one: Partially o.O Reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show for some odd reason...
3rd one: LOVE this one, though I usually tend to like female vocalists more than male ones...I don't know why. I like his voice, though.
4th one: I...kind of...like this one...slightly...
5th one: Wow, sadly, I never gave them a chance. I do like this though...love the sarcasm...not being sarcastic, I actually do. Fits most of my moods...
I want a distorted checkered floor in my house...
6th one: I don't like the voice...but the music is alright. Yeah, definitely don't like the voice.

What about these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCKLJGLENs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VJA58CxWwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-vtzXbpGHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3Kk12zDe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ro2Krgt_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R3RTx2jBFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YV2B-poEDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-ZccfRrIo
Old 12-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
KontanKarite

I'm actually going to be nice about this. I would say something about you knowing more about who you are than anyone else, but whatever, I'll bite.

The list of bands you gave, if you really identify with them, would pretty much make you some form of a Rivithead. Which isn't bad, I guess.

Anyway, I'm not going to go back and look at your OP again. It was too long and not formatted for reading.

But gleaning what you posted, I would recommend these bands:

Laibach
Nitzer Ebb
Skinny Puppy
W.A.S.T.E
Chemlab
S.P.K
Killing Joke

You're not goth, not really. You're the Industrial loving cousin of Goth.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Alan

You care too much to make certain we know you 'don't care'
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
KontanKarite

^This basically.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Xero

I don't *try* to make it seem like I don't care on purpose, and I apologize if it seems that I did. I was only trying not to pounce into it and scream "I'm a goth!" without knowing the facts...which is my whole reason for coming here.

Thank you, Kontankarite, for the bands. I also did not know there was a style associated with industrial music, but yes, it is usually my first choice, along with dark cabaret(Vermillion Lies, Dresden Dolls, Birdeatsbaby, and many others).

As stated above, my favorite musician has been Emilie Autumn for two years. She is, for the most part, industrial. Well, Victoriandustrial. I am continuously searching for music like hers, as well as that of Angelspit.

I will check into the rivethead style...but I will not be conforming to any dress codes, as that got rather tiring in school...and besides...I'd hate it with all my heart. Thanks to everyone for their input.

I will state though, that I do love industrial music, but many other types as well. I do not believe in limiting myself to just ONE genre. I believe the best thing to do would be to dress as I would anyway...my style is not yet complete, though, as I can't wear certain things while living with my grandparents...I am hoping to become a musician...I will incorporate as many styles that I like into my music as possible.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
KontanKarite

Emily Autumn is not industrial. She's actually more... pop music, really.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
Angelic Dissonance2

OHh dude, you totally ARE kinda Rivethead! I see!

You should probably like Suicide Commando, then. And Caustic.
Check out this site, it has free downloads:

http://www.thisiscorrosion.com/

I really like the tracks by Visceral Stasis. They're a varied band, borrowing what they want from what genres they want.

As for the bands you posted, Die Form and Angelspit were definitely the shit.
......I assume you've heard Combichrist? Their single, Electrohead, perhaps?
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
Pineapple_Juice

I am really glad nobody attacked this kid.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
Angelic Dissonance2

Yeah, me too...
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #17
Xero

KontanKarite: Emilie Autumn is...Emilie Autumn...lol

AngelicDissonance2: Hey, thanks! Haven't really listened to Suicide Commando or Caustic yet, but I will. Yes I do listen to Combichrist, and yes, Electrohead is a good song. I like WTF is Wrong with You People too, though. I will definitely have to check out Visceral Stasis...

Pinapple_Juice: Thanks. I'm glad I didn't get attacked, as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
KontanKarite

Relax and ride it.