Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #76
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
Saya have you even seen a picture of me? (I posted several in the picture post thread)

Most folks are scared shitless looking me in the eye face to face.

I also try to be alert enough to avoid trouble and handle it the best way I can if it comes looking for me.
So what do you need a gun for if you're appearance is enough to keep attackers at bay?

And seriously, you kinda come off as paranoid.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #77
Deadmanwalking_05

Sweetie your "stuff" might not be the only thing the scum fuck would be interrested in.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #78
Saya

Quote:
That's why some have opted for these bad boys

http://www.discounthomeoffice.com/in...roducts_id=324

They can be mounted just about anywhere for quick access.
How does that work? Is it attatched to the trigger? What movie did I see with a guy with a fingerprint recognized trigger so the antagonist chopped the guys finger off?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #79
Sir_Vex

Quote:
So you think it's better for folks to hack people to death with swords and axes then?
Not in the least. I think people shouldn't be hacking each other period.

I used to be under the impression that when a gun was pulled in self defense, it was statistically more likely to provoke the attacker and force them into a violent action, but I couldn't remember where or when I had read this. With my inability to remember, I decided to look it up. In looking it up, it seems there is a correlation between using a fire arm in self defense, in the direction that it deters the attack or theft with no violence. The studies seem reputable also.
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #80
Deadmanwalking_05

I'm a big guy yeah but a larger size only makes me a bigger moving target if I'm unarmed and am caught by someone with a handgun or rifle.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #81
Deadmanwalking_05

Saya Now who sounds paranoid?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #82
Saya

Quote:
Sweetie your "stuff" might not be the only thing the scum fuck would be interrested in.
I suppose I could get one of these:
http://www.rapestop.net/

Kinda like a female condom only if someone tries to **** you, they get hooks, well, hooked into them and have to go to a hospital to get them removed.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #83
Deadmanwalking_05

Are there any actual tests that prove that thing wouldn't hurt you worse than your attacker?

Also do you think bending on over for the guy would be the answer,if door number 1 wasn't his first choice?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #84
Splintered

Keeping a gun safely locked away is actually a pretty easy thing to do, especially if you conceal carry.

For instance, the two Mausers we currently have in our house take about 15 seconds to load. (Coincidentally, the same time it takes to get from both of my doors to the living room). It's also got a trigger lock on it, and is safely stored away, unloaded, in the closet.

Even when I was kid, I was safe from shooting myself. First, because it was under a trigger lock that was too hard to take apart, and I don't have any way of manually opening it. Second, because I was raised around it to not actually fear the thing, or think it was any bit out of the ordinary, so why go play with it?

Keeping it responsibly hidden is always a good idea. However, that doesn't mean that you have to keep it inoperative during the times you need it.

I'm not worried about my property: I can replace virtually everything I own (Yay for insurance). However, many people will not stop at robbery. In 2005 there were an estimated 93,934 forcible rapes source. There were also 16,137 murders in 2004. source Finally, in 2004 there were 854,911 aggravated assaults. source

Even though the chances of you being assaulted, robbed, or murdered may be slim, we all still face that potential danger. A danger that has a simple solution: A firearm.

Even a simple shotgun, which is easy to keep locked away either in a safe, or with a trigger guard, or even as an ornamental piece on the fireplace mantel, can mean the difference between you coming out unscathed, and you coming out to a hospital, trauma center, or morgue.

(And yeah, I know the idea of an old geyser wielding a shotgun may make you think he's a danger to everyone else, but I've never actually seen it happen to someone.)
Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 AM   #85
Saya

Look, I'm just not paranoid. I'm sure someone can someday try to do something to me, but a gun isn't something I feel that is safe to have in a house, I certainly wouldn't walk around with it. Its too easy for someone else to get a hold of it, too many things that can go wrong. I'm taking Akido next semester just so that IF something happens and I need to get away, I'll know how. So until then, I'll keep my doors locked, trust the apartment security system, when walking out at night I'll always go out in numbers, and always let someone know where I'm going.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #86
Deadmanwalking_05

From the Information you just stated, dear lady are a hoplophibic,an irrational fear of an inantimate object.

What if you're friends decide not to go with you or are busy else where.

Security alarms can and have been defeated,and will continue to be defeated by someone willing enough to invade your home,and from the description you would be known as a "soft target"
Old 08-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #87
Saya

I'm not a hoplophobic, I'm a person who detests weapons and violence.

If my friends are busy, then why would I even wanna go out at night?

See, its an apartment building. If someone could scale the walls somehow and unlock my window and not be noticed by the security guards who patrol outdoors or any of the other dozens of people who live here, he'd be a ninja.

And I'm gonna go have a glass of water and lie down. You're really starting to creep me out.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #88
Deadmanwalking_05

I'll look it up for you.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplophobia
Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #89
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
From the Information you just stated, dear lady are a hoplophibic,an irrational fear of an inantimate object.

What if you're friends decide not to go with you or are busy else where.

Security alarms can and have been defeated,and will continue to be defeated by someone willing enough to invade your home,and from the description you would be known as a "soft target"

If they have the skills to go that far a gun won't help you very much.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #90
Deadmanwalking_05

But it would level the playing field a little
Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #91
Saya

Okay, the link you put up admitted the term wasn't really a proper term. If used in a clinical sense, its someone who freaks out at seeing a gun even on a policeman, which I do not do. Its a term coined by a firearms instructor and used by gun rights advocates to insult those in favor of gun control.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #92
Deadmanwalking_05

Oh what's the matter you can hit me with "Paranoid" but I can't label you?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:03 AM   #93
Saya

Well you are the one who expects violent and bloody things to happen to you in which case you will need an arsenal of guns.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #94
Deadmanwalking_05

I don't expect a violent attack I just feel better if I have the means to protect myself and loved ones in case of such an attack.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #95
Deadmanwalking_05

Again hope for the best prepare for the worst.

At most my guns are used for hunting,paper punching,or knocking over soda cans.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 AM   #96
Deadmanwalking_05

A security Alarm is a good first line (If your security alarm is wired into the police and fire departments that's good,same as if your security alarm is covered in fur,walks on four legs,barks,has sharp teeth,and is Wired)

A phone call to 9-1-1 (Or what have you) is the second line of defense.

A designated safe room (Where you and other members of your family gather) is the third line.

The fourth and last ditch line of defense is you and your weapon (Be it a knife,gun,baseball bat,hammer,ect)
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #97
PortraitOfSanity

God you NRA people really piss me off. I like guns, I don't own any and the only times I fire them is target shooting, but the bottom line is: I'm perfectly willing to give up my right to own a gun so that psychos like you aren't allowed to own them either. Just because someone doesn't believe in violence, you gun Nazis label them a pussy, or if they have a slightly larger vocabulary, as in your case, a hoplophobe. The gun nuts in Congress even want to arm teachers, imagine your 5th grade English teacher who could hardly even walk up the stairs without throwing out her hip waving around a .357. You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #98
Deadmanwalking_05

Where you are ready to hand over your rights to please others is your own matter,to tell the truth I don't have any love for the NRA,yes they are a political machine that would sell anyone out (Much like most political machines) I didn't label anybody a pussy,and the fact that you called me a psycho doesn't change anything except make you look even more immature.

All I did was defend my position on the matter with logic,if others don't believe violence could or should happen that's there own thing.

I didn't come on here to force my views on other folks,just trying to see if others in the sub-culture owned any and what make or model they have a preferance for.

From a glance at your post you seem to strike out with raw emotion,and don't want anyone else to have the freedom of choice for the matter at hand.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #99
Deadmanwalking_05

Well if you think about it if a few teachers were armed then maybe the kill ratio in Columbine and Va Tech wouldn't have been so high,I'm not saying guns in school are the way to go (An armed Security officer of some type would've been fine) oh yeah and what were both of those areas,Gun Free Zones (Making anyone inside a "Soft Target" much like most malls and businesses now a days).

And by "Soft Target" I mean defenseless.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #100
Saya

Quote:
Well if you think about it if a few teachers were armed then maybe the kill ratio in Columbine and Va Tech wouldn't have been so high,I'm not saying guns in school are the way to go (An armed Security officer of some type would've been fine) oh yeah and what were both of those areas,Gun Free Zones (Making anyone inside a "Soft Target" much like most malls and businesses now a days).

And by "Soft Target" I mean defenseless.
Your joking right? We should bring guns when we go shopping now? And the kids in Columbine shouldn't have been able to get their guns in the first place! They used friends to go and buy them from unregulated gun shows where no background check was required.